LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS AND MORE FEATURES
Currently There are 1639 Rugby League fans online
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Ratboy to leave for the NRL in 2014

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Ratboy to leave for the NRL in 2014

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm
The Biffs Back User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

G1 wrote:
Elonex deal up the spout, no money from Stobart, Bulls in admin, other clubs in dire straits and I've seen three games at Headingley this year that I have enjoyed and far fewer on Sky.

The major factor in the longterm future of SL is the Sky tv deal without a doubt IMO, The day they deem this product as not being worthy of the money they currently put into our clubs coffers each season then we are in deep 5hit

G1 is correct regarding our sports profile at present in not being able to gain suitable sponsorship to our game in monetary terms.
Stobart must be laughing all the way to the bank with their current deal in getting the naming rights to our SL competition as apparently those trailors that were fitted out with the shiny brand new and personalised SL club & player protective covers needed replacing anyway!

To get back on topic regarding Sam
If he wants to test himself week to week and if he also wants to be classed in the "World Class Player" bracket then he certainly needs to go to the NRL

IMO he would certainly find a club willing to offer him a lucrative contract over there, but depending on who each club had as its resident FB may restrict Sam from being able to cherry pick his prefferd club

I believe that Sam would prove to be a huge success down under
"...To those people that wrote this team off...
to all those that criticised this team...
tonight's for you"

Sir Kevin Sinfield
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 pm
ThePrinter User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
So where do people reckon he could end up if he chose to go to the NRL? A couple of clubs can be ruled out for being equipped at fullback already e.g Melbourne with Slater.
"Look, it weren't great, it weren't pretty, but it didn't have to be.........we just had to win!"

Kevin Sinfield

28/9/2012
Wigan 12 - 13 Leeds
Super League Playoffs Final Eliminator
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm
SmokeyTA Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigan Peer wrote:
You may say that, but the truth is often unpalatable..... I'll be amazed if will still have a fully professional SL in its present format in 10 years time.

Ill be amazed if we have a fully pro SL in its present format in 10 years aswell.
I would be even more amazed if we dont have a fully pro SL in a slightly different format in 10 years though.

For all the doom and gloom, RL has a 5 year, guaranteed contract with Sky to provide a fully pro SL, we got a good deal in our rights agreement, better than pretty much anyone but the PL with no cut in rights fees at all. Expect to see substantial drops in the fees paid for sports over the next 2/3 years.

The game isnt struggling, certain clubs are struggling in what is a difficult time for all businesses, the game has more people playing and watching than ever before, the central body distributes more money than ever before and has a very comfortable balance sheet.
http://www.pngnrlbid.com

bUsTiNyAbALLs wrote:
Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.

vastman wrote:
My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:08 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sal Paradise wrote:
We need someone like Barry Hearn to get a grip of the sport and soon

I can't disagree with that.

Back on topic.
As a Wigan fan, obviously I would like Sam to stay in SL with Wigan. However to be realistic, he has won all that he can already, and a much bigger challenge/ salary will be available to him.

If he goes I would prefer it to be Aussie RL rather than R.U. but whichever he chooses I will say thank you for one of the best players I have EVER seen grace that famous cherry and white jersey. (and I've been lucky enough to have seen some of the best play for the most famous RL club in the world)
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Some of the issues are nothing to do with SL, franchising or anything else. Nobody should be surprised that a minority sport like RL is suffering possibly out of proportion through the current financial crisis.

On the playing side, my own view is that standards haven't dropped that much - Leeds have which of course will cloud views - and that part of it is the decline in overseas players of quality across the competition. They in turn are being replaced by youngsters who by definition right now aren't quite as good. Hopefully though if the focus remains on youth development and the current crop gets more experience, standards will start to rise again.

That's the optimistic view. My biggest fear on that count is that too many sides simply aren't producing enough quality kids, and the lesser clubs that do cannot keep hold of them (e.g. Salford look like having 3 quality backs playing elsewhere).
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 am
Clearwing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
My biggest fear on that count is that too many sides simply aren't producing enough quality kids, and the lesser clubs that do cannot keep hold of them (e.g. Salford look like having 3 quality backs playing elsewhere).

Lack of quality or lack of variety? Our young players appear ever more orthodox in the way they play the game. Sure, the bigger clubs continue to take a punt on those produced by others but rarely are they a massive improvement upon those that they ditch by way of compensation.
"If you let quality players like Ryan Bailey get on the front foot then you're in big trouble" (S. O'Loughlin)
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:41 am
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Can we stop calling him "ratboy"?
I can't believe the news today.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48 pm
Wheels User avatar
100% League Network Sponsor
100% League Network Sponsor

DHM wrote:

What he said.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:57 pm
gulfcoast_highwayman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ratman?
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm
Les Norton User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

DHM wrote:

Roland?
Splinter?
Rodent Features?
The Creature?
Ratfink?
PreviousNext