PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tomkins open to Australia move..

Board index RLFANS MAIN The Virtual Terrace Tomkins open to Australia move..

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:00 pm
cjhatesunion User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I agree the SL will be a weaker comp if players like Sam leave but surely it has to be better than going to the dark side.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm
Roofaldo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I still feel that the quality of RL players in SL has diminished because of the overseas quota.

We don't have the talent pool in this country to improve matters as it stands, so why increase the number of teams and decrease the number of available players?

Quality will out. Burgess, Tomkins et all would break into teams regardless of the make up of that team. Without the overseas quota, they might have to work harder to do that, but surely THAT is a good thing for the players, league and international team? Players that have pushed and earned the jersey are going to be better and more loyal than those who get praised to high heaven just because they happen to be young and British.
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm
blackfrost User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

To me Union still appears the most likely move. England are hosting the 2015 world cup, a global event. I would not underestimate the power of the RFU and the pressure they will exert on Tomkins and his advisers if he is still wanted by the England coaching team that will include a certain Andrew Farrell. If Tomkins is ambitious to test himself on the international stage Union is the only option. Plus they have the financial clout to tempt him or any other British League player.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm
r a n c i d User avatar
Strong-running second rower

blackfrost wrote:
To me Union still appears the most likely move. England are hosting the 2015 world cup, a global event. I would not underestimate the power of the RFU and the pressure they will exert on Tomkins and his advisers if he is still wanted by the England coaching team that will include a certain Andrew Farrell. If Tomkins is ambitious to test himself on the international stage Union is the only option. Plus they have the financial clout to tempt him or any other British League player.

Unfortunately that sounds right to me to. Also interesting to note is the 2016 Olympics in Brazil will have Rugby Sevens for the first time. If he does defect to the lesser code I hope he shows the Sevens lads a thing or two, he'd be the best on the circuit since Ryder.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Whats the point of walking out to a rapturous applause from 80,000 fans at Twickenham, if after the whistle is blown you are bored 5hitless and freezing cold?

Money aint everything and if it was, i am sure the NRL can offer untold riches.
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 pm
kobashi Strong-running second rower

I think he will go to the NRL.

I get the impression sam doesn't see union as his next destination. Obviously money can dictate matters but I do think sam has a big urge to play in the NRL.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 pm
inside_man Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Charlie Sheen wrote:
The focus has to be on improving SL, and we're never going to do that if all our best players go to the NRL.

You'll improve SL by getting more players playing the game. You get more players playing the game by having a thriving international game (see Union). A successful England is something any man on the street can identify with, random clubs in expansion areas aren't. The way to get more coverage for RL across the media is through England (see Union).

Having more of our players competing in the best league in the world can only be good for England, and in turn good for the sport.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 pm
r a n c i d User avatar

inside_man wrote:
You'll improve SL by getting more players playing the game. You get more players playing the game by having a thriving international game (see Union). A successful England is something any man on the street can identify with, random clubs in expansion areas aren't. The way to get more coverage for RL across the media is through England (see Union).

Having more of our players competing in the best league in the world can only be good for England, and in turn good for the sport.

I think that's a bit of a simplification myself. I agree that people get behind the England Rugby team, I know this from my own family who care nothing for the sport. However I think it runs a little deeper. They don't watch England rugby because England are a great Rugby team, they watch it because the media tell them that international Rugby matters.

Until we have the same relevance, by way of media promotion, I don't think it matters one little bit whether our England League team is strong or not.

It all comes down to legitimacy. International Rugby has it, international League does not. There are a 1001 reasons why and each reason is correct, to a degree.

The game, in my opinion, has deep rooted problems that aren't easily solved, or even recognised.

I agree that having players in the NRL and by extension fielding a better England team is great, but I don't believe it will bring interest in itself. What we need to realise is that the games problems aren't necessarily with the game itself, but in the coverage and promotion of the product. The England Rugby team is none better or more competitive than the English league team, so it's not that, in my view.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm
maurice User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Where would you play Sam in RU?
His strength is taking the man on, something that doesn't happen in RU.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm
Barnabus User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Union prioritise their international calendar over anything else. They've also made it regular, so the fans know that every Spring it'll be the 6 nations, every Summer & Winter will see tours and a World Cup every 4 years.

In league we have no idea whats happening from one year to the next. The last few world cups have gone from 1995 to 2000, to 2008 to 2013 - we have no pattern or regularity.

With regard to the big crowds at Twickers, the RFU have the advantage of having a set home, so the fans know that England at home means Twickenham and they arrange accordingley. England RL could be playing anywhere. They also, following 6 nation games, have two full years to sell tickets for the next time that fixture is played. Each club is sent tickets for the game to sell, who send back any they haven't sold after the first year. They'll then receive either more or less the following time, and get a % of the ticket price as a 'commission'.

Whatever Union has done, it's worked. We need to learn from it.
The Silky Polar Bear
PreviousNext