PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - If you must discuss Union, do it here II

Board index Other Sports Other Sports If you must discuss Union, do it here II

 
A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.

Catalancs User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 18736
Location: Baix Empordà, Catalunya


That's all very well and good but Hull RU don't get 38,000 watching them. That's what counts, isn't it?
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?
Dita's Slot Meter User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 2422
gutterfax wrote:
As I said, a bore-a-thon...but about 350,000 people watched the 9 tests involving Wales, Ireland and England.........they certainly know how to polish the turd and sell it.


Union is the ultimate Emperor's New Clothes..... Nobody actually knows what they are watching, but because nobody around them dare tell them the truth, they just go along with how 'entertaining' it all is.

I stumbled across the last half hour of the England game yesterday....Quality wise, it was absolute dross - Lots of sweat , but zero technique. Awful.
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....
gutterfax User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:33 am
Posts: 20146
Location: The Shaky Isles
Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
Union is the ultimate Emperor's New Clothes..... Nobody actually knows what they are watching, but because nobody around them dare tell them the truth, they just go along with how 'entertaining' it all is.

I stumbled across the last half hour of the England game yesterday....Quality wise, it was absolute dross - Lots of sweat , but zero technique. Awful.


Emperor's new clothes?

If you're right, you'd think that those either paying to go or those watching would figure it out....but for some strange reason, Union continues to attract fans, viewers and sponsors.

Hopefully the RLWC next year will attract fans and they in turn will see the light and abandon Union.........
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have


eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.
Catalancs User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 18736
Location: Baix Empordà, Catalunya


Why do people need to 'abandon' union? Why can't people appreciate and follow both codes of rugby?
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?
gutterfax User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:33 am
Posts: 20146
Location: The Shaky Isles
Catalancs wrote:
Why do people need to 'abandon' union? Why can't people appreciate and follow both codes of rugby?

sorry...my bad. Too many incidents with our 'stralian buddies branding me a union troll because I dared suggest League could learn from the IRB.
I don't watch club union any more, but I do follow the internationals......I watch all forms of League...have done since I saw my frst game in the flesh back in 2002.....
Both games (they are 2 different sports) have their good and bad traits, but Union has more to correct than League on the park...it's the opposite off it though.
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have


eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.
Catalancs User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 18736
Location: Baix Empordà, Catalunya


gutterfax wrote:
sorry...my bad. Too many incidents with our 'stralian buddies branding me a union troll because I dared suggest League could learn from the IRB.

No need to apologise. Many rugby league fans have a cautious approach to union which all too often develops into an uneccesary insecurity.

gutterfax wrote:
I don't watch club union any more, but I do follow the internationals......I watch all forms of League...have done since I saw my frst game in the flesh back in 2002.....
Both games (they are 2 different sports) have their good and bad traits, but Union has more to correct than League on the park...it's the opposite off it though.

Rugby league is the sport I was brought up with. It's what we talked about at the dinner table. My week ended watching Wigan and then there were six days till I could watch them again. Trivial things in-between like school and sleep were miles behind. Rugby league was king but I was mad about Manchester United, Orrell union, cricket, boxing, in fact almost any sport I could find.
Nowadays, living away from England my passion for most sports has waned. So much so that I only really make an effort for rugby league. I still watch a lot of sport, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

I'm the opposite when it comes to union as I find internationals flat and the play far too cautious and sometimes sterile. The French league is similar to this so even though it's on Spanish tv, I don't usually watch it. I was really disappointed by what I saw of the English league and the Heineken Cup this year. The standard of passing, running lines and tucking has dropped to a level I'd associate with Orrell all those years ago. Super 15 is still the most entertaining but the rule, sorry, law tweaks which have steered the game towards rugby league in a successful effort to make it more open and increase the amount of running rugby have seen solid defence virtually disappear.
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?
Conroy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:49 am
Posts: 12018
An example of the poor skill levels in Union would have to be the fact that in 48 appearances for Leicester (one of the best sides in the league), winger Horatio Agulla scored 8 tries.
WIGAN RLFC
gutterfax User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:33 am
Posts: 20146
Location: The Shaky Isles
Conroy wrote:
An example of the poor skill levels in Union would have to be the fact that in 48 appearances for Leicester (one of the best sides in the league), winger Horatio Agulla scored 8 tries.

Terrible that....shocking....I reckon it won't be long before their knocking down Twickenham to build a Tesco's and staurt lancaster getting the job of trolley collector there 8)
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have


eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.
Conroy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:49 am
Posts: 12018
gutterfax wrote:
Terrible that....shocking....I reckon it won't be long before their knocking down Twickenham to build a Tesco's and staurt lancaster getting the job of trolley collector there 8)


You could build a MASSIVE T*sco on the site of Twickers. Could be a goer that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Union fan but the difference in skill levels between the two sports is laughable.
WIGAN RLFC
cjhatesunion User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm
Posts: 2786
Location: St.Helens
I would gladly give a year's salary to see Twickers being turned into a supermarket. :D
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Quick Reply

   

Return to Other Sports



All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.
RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, the RLSA (Rugby League Supporters Association) or the 100% League Network is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites, please email the author of this sub-site if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.
Copyright 1999 - 2014 RLFANS.COM