PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Peacock announces retirement

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Peacock announces retirement

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

craigizzard wrote:
I notice that in the great Keith Swiftcorn / Rhinos Feckw!t tradition you've gone for another suitable anagram in your username.

William Eve / Mail Weevil.

Very fitting in more than one way.

....though Hick Dead may be more fitting.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 am
ryano User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

craigizzard wrote:
I notice that in the great Keith Swiftcorn / Rhinos Feckw!t tradition you've gone for another suitable anagram in your username.

William Eve / Mail Weevil.

Very fitting in more than one way.

Good spot that man! Another one to add to the 'ignore' list. Cheers! :thumb:
"To all our fans,
You're a special,special bunch. Thank You!"

LEEDS RHINOS - SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2012

oh and a CHALLENGE CUP 2014!
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am
The Eagle User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Gotcha wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
JP has been a great servant for his country. He has always gone toe to toe with the opposition. I doubt he made the decision in January, and decided that he'd play one of the 2 mid-season test matches.

No, from his comments on Twitter the other week, I think he's realised that his body can no longer take the pounding it once did. Lets hope he can apply the same logic in a Leeds shirt, and play smaller more effective stints

I disagree

Jamie Peacock wrote:
"In January this year, after much thought, I decided that now would be right time to retire from international Rugby League. The last achievement I felt I could have with England would be to right the wrong and beat the Exiles team and this has happened.

I know what he said, but I don't buy it. For me the mid season internationals should be about preparing for the big internationals. What's the point in taking part in all the get togethers, and training sessions, plus the game just to retire after Excile game 1? So he can say he's beaten every international team he's faced? Seems a bit selfish to me, and I wouldn't have him down as that
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am
JWarriors Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

For me it should be Roby or O'Loughlin as the new captain.

JP has had a great career, so hats off to him.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 am
rhinos21 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Well done Jp
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 am
digger47 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

great player, great leader, never took a backward step I only hope it lenghthens his leeds carreer. Well done Jamie for a honest decision must have been a wrench.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 pm
nantwichexile Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The Eagle wrote:
I know what he said, but I don't buy it. For me the mid season internationals should be about preparing for the big internationals. What's the point in taking part in all the get togethers, and training sessions, plus the game just to retire after Excile game 1? So he can say he's beaten every international team he's faced? Seems a bit selfish to me, and I wouldn't have him down as that

That is what puzzles me. If he had made his decision in January why take somebody else's place in the England squad to play a stupid, worthless game against the exiles ? If true it does smack of being selfish. Not a great way to go out either way.

Best prop Leeds have had since the bionic barrel :)

Should retire at season's end, or at least be used sparingly from the bench.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Middleton_Loiner User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The Eagle wrote:

To be involved in the England Set up, to pass on experience. Players look up to him.

I'd bank on seeing him in an England Role off the Field as well as at Leeds once he retires.
Wayne Bennett wrote:
If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:04 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I don't see why we need a permanent England captain. I'd pick the team first and then choose the captain. Sinfield and Flanders would both make good captains but there's no guarentee they'll start. If I was picking a permanent I'd pick James Graham.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm
tvoc User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The Eagle wrote:
I know what he said, but I don't buy it.

Me neither. The timing of the actual announcement smacks of a realisation that while the mind is still willing the body is telling him it's no longer possible at the standard he demands of himself. The whole beating the Exiles line lays somewhere between selfish and nonsense. I don't think Peacock would be the former so imagine it's closer to the latter.

Hopefully no real damage done and better to step aside now than on the 5th of July.
PreviousNext