PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Peacock announces retirement

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Peacock announces retirement

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:13 am
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Andy Gilder wrote:
I wonder whether Leeds had an idea this was coming when they offered him a two year deal?

Considering he said he had made the decision in January, I would guess so.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am
craigizzard Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

William Eve wrote:
JP appears to be under the illusion that he's retired from internationals as a winner in his final appearance.

I'm pretty sure his final international appearance was a 30-8 loss to Australia at Elland Rd last year.

I notice that in the great Keith Swiftcorn / Rhinos Feckw!t tradition you've gone for another suitable anagram in your username.

William Eve / Mail Weevil.

Very fitting in more than one way.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 am
Bronze RLFANS Member

loinertillidie wrote:
An interesting statement. I presume you have seen Sam train, I presume you have seen him around the squad, or around the hotel. I presume you know what he adds to the brew? I certainly don't, but, I do know that some players, as with people in every walk of life, thrive on responsibility. Sam comes across as a bright lad, he knows his game, and he knows that he wants.
A captain at full back, someone who is watching the whole game and can make decisions based on that. I don't think that's beyond the realms of common sense.

His attitude has improved a lot, for me he has grown up immensely.

As for leadership qualities, can you define them for us?

It's my supposition, just as your supposition is that Tomkins would make a good captain. Let's be honest, we've neither of us got anything first-hand to base our judgement on. But I've *never* heard anyone closer to the game, at Wigan or England, so much as suggest Tomkins for the captaincy.

Leadership qualities are varied. I think too much is made of captaincy in international sport (Cricket excepted, where the captain is effectively a manager making a vast amount of unique in-game decisions). Pretty much by definition an international football or rugby team will contain a number of outstanding leaders, who can variously motivate, lead by example or implement a coach's gameplan. The one with the armband is the figurehead, but that doesn't mean they're the only leader.

You could argue that the two things that matter most in an international RL captain are the ability to deal with the media to promote the game, and the ability to communicate with the referee to the best interests of your team. Sinfield fits that bill better than anyone, but given that he might not be in the team come the World Cup the other players with those specifications are O'Loughlin and maybe Graham.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 am
BillyRhino User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Thanks for the memories Jamie. An awesome and inspirational player in his pomp, and never slow in handing out some instant karma either!
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am
Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I doubt we would have won as many (if any) of the post 2004 Grand Finals without Peacock. Undoubtedly one of the best signings (if not THE best) Leeds have made during the SL era. This won't continue the way he has been flogging himself recently, so it is the right time to step down as an international player.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 am
doc-rhino Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

great player but the retirement should have been much sooner, morley too.

Much as I dislike Tomkins attitude It might be the making of him. Never did a young Iestyn any harm when he came to Leeds.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am
The Eagle User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

craigizzard wrote:
William Eve wrote:
JP appears to be under the illusion that he's retired from internationals as a winner in his final appearance.

I'm pretty sure his final international appearance was a 30-8 loss to Australia at Elland Rd last year.

I notice that in the great Keith Swiftcorn / Rhinos Feckw!t tradition you've gone for another suitable anagram in your username.

William Eve / Mail Weevil.

Very fitting in more than one way.

I think you need to be looking at the shortened version of his name, Bill Eve
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 am
The Eagle User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Feckwits on FB saying its not exactly the big England RL news that was being rumoured. How much bigger news is there than the captain standing down? Morons.

JP has been a great servant for his country. He has always gone toe to toe with the opposition. I doubt he made the decision in January, and decided that he'd play one of the 2 mid-season test matches.

No, from his comments on Twitter the other week, I think he's realised that his body can no longer take the pounding it once did. Lets hope he can apply the same logic in a Leeds shirt, and play smaller more effective stints
Sick of getting crappy gifts ? Get the gifts that YOU want.
Use www.giftslist.co.uk
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 am
Bronze RLFANS Member

The Eagle wrote:
I think you need to be looking at the shortened version of his name, Bill Eve

Ah. I overlooked the simple explanation.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The Eagle wrote:
JP has been a great servant for his country. He has always gone toe to toe with the opposition. I doubt he made the decision in January, and decided that he'd play one of the 2 mid-season test matches.

No, from his comments on Twitter the other week, I think he's realised that his body can no longer take the pounding it once did. Lets hope he can apply the same logic in a Leeds shirt, and play smaller more effective stints

I disagree

Jamie Peacock wrote:
"In January this year, after much thought, I decided that now would be right time to retire from international Rugby League. The last achievement I felt I could have with England would be to right the wrong and beat the Exiles team and this has happened.
PreviousNext