PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The worst ref display ever?

Board index Super League Bradford Bulls - RedAmberandBlack.net The worst ref display ever?

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 pm
Cibaman Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
Most are saying he was bad all round, for both sides, but if there was a rough end of the stick then the penalty count comprehensively confirms who got it!

It's much more frustration and disappointment. Though for some reason my voice is like Barry White's macho brother today. I didn't mind Russell as a ref, but oddly enough he is the last ref (indeed the only ref) I can last remember pinging us for offside at the kickoff,

Smith could be heard telling Fielden that he'd penalised him because it was a short kick off.

I read an article recently by Graham Poll, the ex soccer referee, when he admitted that if he was having a poor game, or struggling to keep control, he would deliberately blow his whistle more often and give soft free kicks. Something to do with trying to re-establish control. Might be why Hicks became so whistle happy.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
Most are saying he was bad all round, for both sides, but if there was a rough end of the stick then the penalty count comprehensively confirms who got it!

It's much more frustration and disappointment. Though for some reason my voice is like Barry White's macho brother today. I didn't mind Russell as a ref, but oddly enough he is the last ref (indeed the only ref) I can last remember pinging us for offside at the kickoff,

We got done once by an Aussie ref (not Klein), that was the first time I'd ever seen it btw, and I'd been watching the game well over thirty years by then, though I can't remember exactly what the occasion was or why we had this Aussie ref. IIRC, we were playing an Aussie team so I wonder if it was the WCC in 1977, the very first one when every club was involved? I might have got some of the details wrong - my memory is about as consistent as Robert Hick's refereeing... :lol:
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

It was Bill Harrigan Bulliac, he used to give that penalty quite a bit.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

"If we win by 50 points, I will eat my hat. I fact I will eat the hats of everyone there, And their scarves and gloves. And underpants." - Debaser
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 am
Blotto User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: 2.5 hrs North of Newcastle. 8 hrs South of Brisbane
Bulliac wrote:
I can see he's really wound you up FA, but he's just an amateur compared to Russ Smith :lol:

But he will be fondly remembered for the quote when reffing the Bulls at Valley Parade, he had blown the whistle for a misdemeanor (I can't remember what it was for) and Sir James came steaming in for he 4pennorth when Russell said "Go away Jimmy I want to talk to someone sensible" which got a good laugh from quite a few who heard him, along with Jimmy looking gobsmacked! :D
The phrase politically correct is in itself politcally incorrect so should be rephrased politically stupid!

If you like old type radio comedy/ dramas etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Statistically speaking you have a better chance of getting dead the older you get!
Previous