PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Olympic Torch

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am
Bulls Boy 2011 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Just shut up and enjoy the occasion lol. Jeez England rarely gets great events like this and people like you have to link it to something bad -_-
BULLSBOY2011:
'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'

Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 am
CM Punk User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Saw it in Stoke a few weeks ago, no big deal. The "spectacle" of seeing the torch was slightly ruined by the bus with 5 spare torches in it passing by first.

Wigan RLFC
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:37 am
dboy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

You are confusing the Nazi's very real desire to use the games for their own wicked purposes, with the actual purpose of the games - they were only the "Nazi Games" to the Nazis'.

The games weren't INTENDED to promote Naziism - they were then what they always were intended to be. The attempted highjacking of them does not make them the Nazi games - unless you are happy to give in to such evils. The fact that the Olympics has gone on to bigger and better things, is a celebration of freedom.

Are the current Euros the "Racist Games"? No, because the righteous and good do not bend to those that want to highjack history for their own wicked purposes.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

dboy wrote:
Poppycock!

They certainly weren't the "Nazi Olympics", as you put it and trying to link the white supremacism of Hitler, to the idea of a torch as a symbol of evil is nonsensical and myopic.

Indeed, if a torch was being touted as a symbol of Naziism, then celebrating the Olympic torch as a beacon of goodness, community and hope is the perfect way to reclaim that symbolism.

Just my opinion, of course.

It's always sad when sport gets dragged down to the level of politics, and when it does it's invariably the fault of the politicians. It's sad but unfortunately true that the 1936 games will always be tainted by association with Adolf Hitler and his obnoxious ideas. Not being around in the 1930s I really don't know how they were perceived at the time, but retrospectively my feelings have been formed far more by people like Jesse Owens, who proved Hitler's 'master race' theory to be the claptrap it is, just as 1980, from a British perspective, will be remembered for the glories of Coe and Ovett rather than Thatcher's miserable attempt to suck up to the USA with her boycott .

Actually I'd no idea the torch relay started at those games (is that actually true, btw?) Personally, I've no real interest in the torch, opening ceremonies or any other of the fripperies surrounding the non athletic parts of the games so I'll not be watching the flame and wouldn't have been even if there hadn't been something far more important going on a the same time, like our game!
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:50 am
dboy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Bulliac wrote:
It's always sad when sport gets dragged down to the level of politics, and when it does it's invariably the fault of the politicians. It's sad but unfortunately true that the 1936 games will always be tainted by association with Adolf Hitler and his obnoxious ideas. Not being around in the 1930s I really don't know how they were perceived at the time, but retrospectively my feelings have been formed far more by people like Jesse Owens, who proved Hitler's 'master race' theory to be the claptrap it is, just as 1980, from a British perspective, will be remembered for the glories of Coe and Ovett rather than Thatcher's miserable attempt to suck up to the USA with her boycott .

Exactly so.

"Tainted" is the right word, but the games did not belong to Hitler.

Suggestions of the torch (or relay), being a symol of Naziism, are nothing more than ridiculous attempts to devalue something essentially good and positive, with further "tainting".
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 am
Ewwenorfolk User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bulls Boy 2011 wrote:
Bulls then unfortunatly off home to watch England as it is a school night -_- why can't England play on Saturday??

Never stopped us lad! Get a few ales down, and watch us beat the azurri :wink:

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:50 am
Wadski User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Judging by what happened in Hudds:
1. It will be late
2. It will be very busy
3. Roads will be closed for about 2 hours
4. You won't see much anyway.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 pm
Cibaman Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

There seemed to be lot of people waiting along Manchester Rd not realising that the torch had passed them in a bus.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Absolutely fantastic event in Ilkley. The weather had turned great, the atmosphere brilliant, there must have been 10-20,000 people there from the stretch I was on. Even the police joined in with the motorcycle officers riding down both sides of the road giving all the kids high fives. I've got a couple of photos but am buggered if I know how to load them on to here.
And no im no nutter I just don't like the bulls / Northern they should of been booted out of the league the 1st time they went bust and I will take great delight when it happens again because paying out the contracts like they are they will end up going bust again and some other unfortunate business will have some more unpaid bills, and why having this view is somehow related to some fans getting a hiding is beyond me
Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 am
Adeybull User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Nor should you need to know.

That is what the Butler is for.
PreviousNext