PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Assange - the story continues

Board index Off Topic The Sin Bin Assange - the story continues

 
Off-topic discussion.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Posts: 6665
Location: 10 mins walk from Suncorp Stadium
Very odd behaviour if you ask me, running to a central-american embassy to seek asylum from a western European country.

I'm still not sure how Sweden has suddenly come to be seen as more of a puppet of the US than the UK, especially given that any ultimate deportation decision would end up in the European courts whether the US attempted to deport him from either Sweden or the UK.

I'm also not sure why his supporters continue to act as though the potential charges he faces in Sweden have been fabricated by the authorities solely to get him to a country where the chances of deportation wouldn't seem particularly higher than from the UK. There may well be a couple of women in Sweden who have genuine reasons for wanting to see him brought to face court.
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 am
Standee Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:52 pm
Posts: 37122
If he's broken the law, he should face the consequences, and if that consequence is the death penalty then he made his own bed. He comes across as an arrogant tw@ that thought he wouldn't get caught.
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 am
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 10231
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
Agreed with both.

It just comes across as trying to evade the law in any desperate way. And trying to paint Sweden as some kind of US puppet with a corrupt, bent judiciary is just daft and doesn't help his case.
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 am
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:52 pm
Posts: 25635
Location: Warrington
He's clearly got a lot to hide on both scores. I really don't know why he's not been convicted of terrorism for releasing the information he did. Stick him in the Bay and then let Sweden have what's left.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:17 pm
kirkstaller User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 1318
Location: Kirkstall, Leeds
Agree with all of the above. I can't understand though why a journalist would want to flee to a country which is famous for persecuting journalists? Or why someone who supposedly stands us for justice is trying to evade questioning by the Swedish authorities in relation to serious crimes?

What's more interesting though is what will happen if he is granted asylum by Ecuador. The Met will arrest him the second he steps outside the embassy and the RAF has confirmed that no helicopter will be allowed to leave the vicinity.

My opinion FWIW is that if Assange is recognised as a refugee by the Ecuadorian government then he will be suddenly be made a some kind of attachee and thus be able to flee the UK under the cloak of diplomatic immunity.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:26 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 10231
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
kirkstaller wrote:
Agree with all of the above. I can't understand though why a journalist would want to flee to a country which is famous for persecuting journalists? Or why someone who supposedly stands us for justice is trying to evade questioning by the Swedish authorities in relation to serious crimes?

What's more interesting though is what will happen if he is granted asylum by Ecuador. The Met will arrest him the second he steps outside the embassy and the RAF has confirmed that no helicopter will be allowed to leave the vicinity.

My opinion FWIW is that if Assange is recognised as a refugee by the Ecuadorian government then he will be suddenly be made a some kind of attachee and thus be able to flee the UK under the cloak of diplomatic immunity.

I don't know the ins and out of diplomatic protection etc but I think in basic terms an Ecuadorian diplomatic car is just like an extension of the embassy and so couldn't (without causing a diplomatic incident) be stopped by British Police. Whether Ecuador would want to annoy Britain, the US, the EU and Sweden all at once though, I don't know.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:45 pm
kirkstaller User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 1318
Location: Kirkstall, Leeds
Him wrote:
I don't know the ins and out of diplomatic protection etc but I think in basic terms an Ecuadorian diplomatic car is just like an extension of the embassy and so couldn't (without causing a diplomatic incident) be stopped by British Police. Whether Ecuador would want to annoy Britain, the US, the EU and Sweden all at once though, I don't know.


AFAIK diplomatic cars are NOT an extension of the embassy. Recognised diplomatic staff can exercise diplomatic immunity anywhere in their host country but diplomatic vehicles do not have such benefits.

Even if they did, and this may sound silly, Assange would still have to physically exit the building to get into a car. The Met are on the doorstep and would apprehend him before he even had the door opened for him.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:54 pm
WIZEB Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:31 pm
Posts: 8146
Location: The Hamptons of East Yorkshire
Why don't the Yanks send over a helicopter gunship to patrol the sky above the Ecuadorian embassy just in case he tries to make a run for it? Mind if there's any photographers waiting outside the embassy I hope their cameras don't look like rifles.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:58 pm
billypop Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 3056
Standee wrote:
If he's broken the law, he should face the consequences, and if that consequence is the death penalty then he made his own bed. He comes across as an arrogant tw@ that thought he wouldn't get caught.

Can you explain to me whose law he has broken?
As he's in the UK, I'd like you to tell me which UK law he has broken, and if he has why hasn't he been charged in the UK?

If the Swedes want to extradite him, perhaps they should charge him first. He hasn't been charged with an offence in Sweden.

On the other hand you can always bend down on your knees to the mighty US of A whenever they ask you to.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 pm
kirkstaller User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 1318
Location: Kirkstall, Leeds
billypop wrote:
Can you explain to me whose law he has broken?
As he's in the UK, I'd like you to tell me which UK law he has broken, and if he has why hasn't he been charged in the UK?

If the Swedes want to extradite him, perhaps they should charge him first. He hasn't been charged with an offence in Sweden.

On the other hand you can always bend down on your knees to the mighty US of A whenever they ask you to.


I'm no expert on extradition matters but I'm not sure the Swedes have to charge him in order to undertake a lawful extradition. It depends on the treaty.

I do know that it has reached the highest UK court and that the Swedes were found to have a lawful claim to him.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JerryChicken, peggy and 52 guests

Quick Reply

   

Return to The Sin Bin



All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.
RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, the RLSA (Rugby League Supporters Association) or the 100% League Network is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites, please email the author of this sub-site if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.
Copyright 1999 - 2014 RLFANS.COM