PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Shenton signs for Castleford

Board index Super League St. Helens - the-entertainers.tv Shenton signs for Castleford

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm
SaintsFan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

No1 Saint wrote:
I know this is really really old news but that aside what does going back to Cas say about Shenton's ambitions? he's 25 and he's just signed back for a club with little chance of winning anything in the next few years on a long term contract. I assume he's going to be well paid but it just smacks of wanting to go back to being a big fish in a little pond

Sometimes it isn't about the money and it isn't about the glory. He is a Cas lad and he has a young child over there. He may be a family man who enjoys his rugby but wants to be closer to his family. His decision may be nothing to do with money or glory at all.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill)
Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 pm
Cragganmore Kid User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

SaintsFan wrote:
Sometimes it isn't about the money and it isn't about the glory. He is a Cas lad and he has a young child over there. He may be a family man who enjoys his rugby but wants to be closer to his family. His decision may be nothing to do with money or glory at all.

I'd agree and I think is mainly lacklustre performances are not down to a lack of ability, but simply a move that just hasn't 'clicked'.

I think you'll see something like Shenton of old when he turns out for Cas.
I READ THE AUP BUT PREFERRED THE MOVIE
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 am
Northampton_Saint User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

...and maybe other clubs were interested but Saints were only prepared to let him leave for a lower table non-rival, of which Cas were the only option for him...
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:18 am
St pete User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

SaintsFan wrote:

Shenton is a family man and very quite, its not much of a travel tho from cas to saints when they basically finished training at 1pm most days.

It's just not worked out for him at saints, I get the impression he never really fitted in here which is a shame because I spoke to him few days before last years grand final and he was buzzing, really up for the game and told me this is the reason he came saints.

Obviously the injury didn't help him but IMO he's leaving is because of the appointment of Brown. Brown isn't his biggest fan and was happy for him to leave and brown also seen him as a winger.
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

chip wrote:
Thats why he's going back to Cas more chance of winning a trophy than saints

I agree. The Championship and the Northern Rail Cup.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 am
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Shenton was unlucky at Saints. It took most of his first season to find some form then when he was playing well he got injured and has not, physically and mentally, recovered yet.

Looking at Saints better signings in the last 20 years like Long, Joynt, Sullivan, Sculthorpe. They were all signed at a younger age than Shenton. The club then allowed a few years to coach them to be international class players.

We are not really a club that signs the finished article in the backline. Newlove was at a similar age as Shenton when we signed him but he was world class and a player that could not be improved.

If we had had any sense we would have signed Arundell and turned him into a top class centre.

I know a lot has been said about John Bateman at Bradford but the man we should sign is Jordon Thompson. He is going be be a great player, assuming he gets away from Cas early enough in his career.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm
SaintsFan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

St pete wrote:
Brown isn't his biggest fan and was happy for him to leave and brown also seen him as a winger.

Saints are reported in the press by Millward to have wanted to keep him though.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill)
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

SaintsFan wrote:

That's quite clearly complete nonsense as he had a year left on his contract. We've let him go for nothing to Castleford and are rumoured to be paying part of his salary. Do you think we'd do any part of that it we had wanted to keep him at Saints?
Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:33 pm
bewareshadows User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

SaintsFan wrote:

Good bit of spin.
Saddened! wrote:
Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.
Previous