PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Board index Other Sports Other Sports Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.

Wilbred T Pricklepop Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Roddy B wrote:
WTF has King Kenny got to do with anything? He's the most talked about manager at these championships and he's not even got a job!

Mention where I've brought Kenny up once? Mention where I even talk about Roy in the last comment? You just don't like that I've made you look a complete tw*t because you're talking about an Italian national side you've not even watched.

You must admit roys shown himself to be shrewd operator so far for england, and not in fact the devil himself as many liverpool fans would have us believe.
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

England have their flaws, but personally I'm just happy to be watching a committed England side again. One that is full of team spirit and energy...and not the massive Ego's, arrogant press conferences and disappointments of the last decade.

Getting to the Quarters is a good result, if they can get to the Semi's that would be a fantastic tournament with the players we have available.
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Wilbred T Pricklepop wrote:
You must admit roys shown himself to be shrewd operator so far for england, and not in fact the devil himself as many liverpool fans would have us believe.

I never saw the game, I was at work tonight. If Roy does a good job with England, does it suddenly mean he was the right man to manage Liverpool? Does that mean that every Liverpool fan is wrong about him and that he is actually a great manager? Roy wasn't sacked because fans didn't like him, he was sacked for poor results, just like Kenny was, yet somehow people are of the opinion that Roy is now definitely a better manager than him. Ask any Liverpool fan, any fan that watches/watched the teams, and ask them which side they preferred, Kenny's or Roy's? Every fan would say Kenny's yet you will tell them they're all wrong because England are out of the groups?

Roy can do whatever he wants in his career, he was never the right man for Liverpool, if you think he was you are utterly thick.
Stand-Offish User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Somewhere in Bonny Donny (Twinned with Krakatoa in 1883).
Milner is in because he can, in theory, attack and defend.
And such as Walcott can only attack.
The truth is that Milner is useless at both attack and even more so at defence. He is like a cardboard cut-out that is easily by-passed in defence.
Also Young is a great attacker, but an absolutely useless wing defender.
So our attacking/defending wingers are seriously flawed when used in this way.

There is simply too much pressure heaped on our back line by these inept muppets, who offer them little protection.

Contrast Gerrard ... Captain Fantastic.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Thank God I'm an atheist.
Prince of Denmark User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: An exclusive mansion apartment in fashionable South London
Cibaman wrote:
Watched him (Graham?) play for Bradford Park Avenue in the 60's. He was, to put it politely, an uncomplicated player. Not someone I would ever have expected to succeed in the way he has done.

Just looked up Graham Carr in a reference book of Football league Players Records 1946-92.

b.Newcastle 25/10/44, centre half, England Youth international.

He was originally an apprentice at Northampton Town and played 85 league games from 1962-68, which was during their amazing rise and fall from Division 4 to Division 1 and back again.

Signed for York City in June 1968 and made 33 appearances.

Signed for Bradford PA in July 1969 and made 42 league appearances in what must have been the club's final season in the Football League.

I know he continued playing non-league football during the seventies for various clubs including either Dartford or Maidstone United (possibly both) and is a very experienced manager in his own right, mostly at Conference level with Nuneaton Borough and Kettering Town. I think he also managed Northampton Town for a while.
Wakefieldite User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

IMO: Kenny Dalglish would not even contemplate taking the England manager's job even if it was the last one on Earth for the very same reason that Sir Alex Ferguson would not want it: the prospect of a Scotsman leading out the England national team out at Hampden Park against Scotland.
WAKEFIELD TRINITY WILDCATS 2013 - 140th ANNIVERSARY SQUAD

1. Mathers. 2. Fox. 3. Collis. 4. L. Smith. 5. Cockayne. 6. Sykes. 7. T. Smith. 8. Poore. 9. Aiton. 10. Raleigh. 11. Lauititi. 12.. Kirmon (captain). 13. Washbrook. 14. Wood. 15. Amor. 16. Wilkes. 17. Mariano. 18. Trout. 19. Mellars. 20. Lyne. 21. Wildie. 22. Cowling. 24. Walshaw. 25. John. 26. Goulding. 27. Annakin. 28. Kay. 29. Slater. 35. L. Smith. C: Agar

WAKEFILED TRINITY WILDCATS - PURVEYORS OF RUGBY LEAGUE SINCE 1873

KEEP CALM AND PASS THE BALL TO SYKES
John_D User avatar
Réseau 100% de Treiziste
Réseau 100% de Treiziste

Roddy B wrote:
I like the Italians, I think their biggest weakness is up front. Balotelli is too inconsistent and stupidly erratic, but he's pretty much their only option.

Di Natale? Cassano? Borini? Giovinco? I like their forward options a lot.

Apparently Chiellini is out injured and they'll miss him. That could prompt Prandelli to drop de Rossi back into the defence
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Did Mark's love child play last night? Anomynous.
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

John_D wrote:
Di Natale? Cassano? Borini? Giovinco? I like their forward options a lot.

Apparently Chiellini is out injured and they'll miss him. That could prompt Prandelli to drop de Rossi back into the defence

They are good players, but none of them offer what Balotelli does. He holds the ball up, asks questions physically of the defence and provides a 'target' for them if they need it. Di Natale is a class player but I've never been that convinced by him when he plays for The Azzurri; he's a good option off the bench. They are all good players, Cassano is class but they definitely need that 'outlet' that Balo can be. If Balo has his head screwed on, Italy should beat England but it will be a close game. Not sure why people are being so dismissive of the Italians.
John_D User avatar
Réseau 100% de Treiziste
Réseau 100% de Treiziste

Roddy B wrote:
They are good players, but none of them offer what Balotelli does. He holds the ball up, asks questions physically of the defence and provides a 'target' for them if they need it. Di Natale is a class player but I've never been that convinced by him when he plays for The Azzurri; he's a good option off the bench. They are all good players, Cassano is class but they definitely need that 'outlet' that Balo can be. If Balo has his head screwed on, Italy should beat England but it will be a close game. Not sure why people are being so dismissive of the Italians.

Agree to an extent, certainly about Balotelli. Think you're a tad harsh on di Natale. He's all class, but age and persistent injury mean he is restricted to a supporting role.

And no, I don't know why Italy are being so casually dismissed.
PreviousNext