PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - John Wilkinson selling up

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 pm
BartonFlyer User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

No one can block any sale bar JW - he and his pension fund have well over 82% - I posted a while back re the change in share classes, and only JW's shares were converted to the new class. All other shareholders, barring JW have to offer their shares first to another shareholder before selling to an outsider - JW does not have to do that. Hopefully what is going on now it dotting the Is and crossnig the Ts regqarding securing finance to cover the debt and have an orderly transition to new, financially savvy management
Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:19 pm
middleman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Sounds like a clearing of the old guard and a Steuer Gregsson/ Council managing the Club as a going concern ,whilst a new owner are sort. It's easier to find new owners for a company if consultants are brought in to spruce up the financial aspects beforehand and incumbents ' in absentia'. however if no new investment is forthcomming thats us over. or trussed up like a ' Scarlet' Turkey waiting for our fellow tennants to walk in and help themselves ?

Considering the wayward decisions taken by the club in the last 12 months ( McRae/ Parish - bizzare season ticketing - now this bombshell on the stadium rent , we've been rushing headlong to a precipice ) maybe this this a good thing , they surely can't a worse job financially ?
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." "What on earth are you talking about?"
Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm
RedUnderTheBed Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Bigpev wrote:
Rob Pickering oh dear

My thoughts entirely
Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm
Marshy1 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

"Salford a good investment" now why do you think that.? No rugby league club is a good investment unless it owns assets such as a stadium. The fact your club is it seems being run by outsiders would suggest a perilous state.
A.Marshall
Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 pm
Iain User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Bigpev wrote:
Rob Pickering oh dear

He was good on "We Are The Champions".
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 am
Bigpev User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Marshy1 wrote:
"Salford a good investment" now why do you think that.? No rugby league club is a good investment unless it owns assets such as a stadium. The fact your club is it seems being run by outsiders would suggest a perilous state.

Wigan don't own their own ground so your argument falls a little flat here.
Holts Sweet Holts
Never Drink on an Empty Head
BIGPEV THE ONLY MAN TO GET A REAL INJURY AT THE STOOP
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:00 am
Marshy1 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Bigpev wrote:
Wigan don't own their own ground so your argument falls a little flat here.

No it doesn't as If you read properly I stated " no Rugby League Club is a good Investment unless it owns assets such as a stadium". unless I had bag fulls of cash which i didn't want.
If I was wanting a return on my money then I would certainly be looking for a club with assets of which there arn't to many knocking about, including Wigan.

Don't worry this isn't a "knock Salford" comment it is a general comment about pretty much all Rugby clubs.
The trouble with the sport and this applies to a certain degree not only Rugby League but Football and a few others is that they have sold their souls to Sky TV and are now so heavily reliant on that money which because at the moment is regular it masks the mis-management of most clubs.
A.Marshall
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am
theredshed User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Marshy1 wrote:
No it doesn't as If you read properly I stated " no Rugby League Club is a good Investment unless it owns assets such as a stadium". unless I had bag fulls of cash which i didn't want.
If I was wanting a return on my money then I would certainly be looking for a club with assets of which there arn't to many knocking about, including Wigan.

Don't worry this isn't a "knock Salford" comment it is a general comment about pretty much all Rugby clubs.
The trouble with the sport and this applies to a certain degree not only Rugby League but Football and a few others is that they have sold their souls to Sky TV and are now so heavily reliant on that money which because at the moment is regular it masks the mis-management of most clubs.

I think you have to look also at the appeal and potential of the sport to investers. Top flight football is in a different stratosphere financially compared to Rugby League. And as much as it hurts to say, Rugby Union is on a different level also when you consider their clubs get substantially more from Sky.

A lot of blame is rightly directed at the clubs but should the rugby league not be held more accountable for the poor health of our game? For instance they couldn't even find a proper sponsor for Superleague and had to reluntantly agree to a few rugby players/teams being displayed on a small number of HGV lorries. If the RFL can't find a real sponsor for an established, professional and televised sport it doesn't inspire you with confidence that they negotiated the best possible deal with sky, does it?

I think another thing you have to consider is all clubs must be struggling to attract anywhere close to the levels of sponsorship they were getting pre 2008. Plus I've heard stories in the game of companies agreeing to sponsorship deals and then not being able to pay. This must surely affect the best laid plans or budgets.
Last edited by theredshed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll have what Phil Clarke's drinking.
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 am
Jibmeister User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Early Bath wrote:
It will not please all died in the wool fans though as the lad was a respected RU referee until last year.

A rather strange assumption. I guarantee the majority of people wouldn't have known anything about that until you saw fit to mention it.
Welcome to Jibsville
To Pay Is To Fail
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am
Michigan red User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Jibmeister wrote:
A rather strange assumption. I guarantee the majority of people wouldn't have known anything about that until you saw fit to mention it.

It doesn't really matter, what matters is that he does a good job and a bit of research only brings up good comments and reviews of the services provided by Steuer Gregsson. it's what the club and fans have been crying out for for many years and we've not got it, let's hope that it's the start of a whole new more professional outlook towards running the club.
SIG REMOVED DUE TO TOY THROWING INCIDENT.

ERIC SHAW PREDICTION LEAGUE & PLAY OFFS WINNER 2013

Don't like it? Well Frack off then. Energy & progress for all.

Foe is our friend.
mitie mouse, Lancetodd, Marshy1, eccles star, Dantes Inferno, Philyourboots, biggunbrad, DAVE@CAS1990, RED LEAGUE, OzWelsh, Red-Devils-PAW, newgroundb4wakey
All blocked - Go ahead punk make my day.
PreviousNext