PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Hanley Blasts Super League Standards

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Hanley Blasts Super League Standards

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am
El Diablo User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Middleton_Loiner wrote:
Swift Keithcorn doesn't like Senior!

Swiftcorn doesn't like anyone. Especially not Swiftcorn.
OBN Wannabe
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 pm
Fat Boy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

This is starting to annoy me now.

You can’t compare ESL with NRL until both are on a level footing. Amateur RL in Oz gets literally millions of $AUD pumped into each year. Their U11’s have full time professional coaches.

There would need to be either a massive investment (from somewhere) into amateur clubs in the UK or for the Australian drinking/gambling culture to completely change before you can compare apples with apples.
Fat people are harder to kidnap.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:00 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Fat Boy wrote:
This is starting to annoy me now.

You can’t compare ESL with NRL until both are on a level footing. Amateur RL in Oz gets literally millions of $AUD pumped into each year. Their U11’s have full time professional coaches.

There would need to be either a massive investment (from somewhere) into amateur clubs in the UK or for the Australian drinking/gambling culture to completely change before you can compare apples with apples.

Maybe Ellery could start by getting involved in the game at grass roots and try and improve the game in this country instead of chelping to Aussies about how far behind we are.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm
Middleton_Loiner User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Wayne Bennett wrote:
If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 pm
ThePrinter Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
All a bit lazy to me to just blame 'too many teams'. The amount of teams would be fine if the amount of quality players was higher so actually its a grass roots problem. Sounds like a lazy answer to please the masses who worship everything Aussie when it comes to RL. You could easily make the argument that all these 'intense' games the Aussies have to play could catch up with them by the end of the season so i don't buy into the intensity argument really.
"Delaney whoa oh oh oh,
Delaney whoa oh oh oh.
He's from Australia,
He'll f**king murder ya!"
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:13 pm
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Wheras in his playing days we had a real competition going over here. You never had any idea who was going to win the trophies or which teams would be promoted or relegated each year.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm
ThePrinter Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
DHM wrote:
Wheras in his playing days we had a real competition going over here. You never had any idea who was going to win the trophies or which teams would be promoted or relegated each year.

Yeah the Challenge Cup winners in particular was a real mystery during the years Hanley played.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 pm
Buck Tarbrush User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

G1 wrote:
When Hanley speaks, people listen. Or they should.

Fair enough , but suggesting that until all teams are of equal quality and the intensity of weekly round games improves , is nothing most fans dont already know is it .

Next week Hanley tells us bears $hit in the woods .
On the day of the 2012 Grand Final

wireflyer33 wrote:- i will get back to you tomorrow,will be to0 hung over tonight after wires win in the g/f- as for wire having to play above themselves to beat leeds all wire need to do is play them like we did at wembley anyway,got to go,i have a g/f to go too,have a nice day watching wire lift the g/f trophy
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm
D4mo78 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

The guy does an interview and gets asked a question. He answers it and it gets posted on a message board. People complain about what he said.

The Black Pearl has given his opinion, which he's qualified to do given his standing in the game. We are behind the Aussies, and seem to be slipping even more. I agree that Ellery should be involved in improving the game. Guys like him, Edwards, Davies, Robinson should be used more. The Aussies continue to tap into the knowledge of our greats. We let them wander off
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 pm
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

D4mo78 wrote:
The guy does an interview and gets asked a question. He answers it and it gets posted on a message board. People complain about what he said.

The Black Pearl has given his opinion, which he's qualified to do given his standing in the game. We are behind the Aussies, and seem to be slipping even more. I agree that Ellery should be involved in improving the game. Guys like him, Edwards, Davies, Robinson should be used more. The Aussies continue to tap into the knowledge of our greats. We let them wander off

Nobody is bagging Ellery - he's correct of course. The general drift of the thread is "we all know this". My own opinion is that the game here is a product that's sold to people rather than an attempt to generate great rugby league teams. The Championship can be very entertaining to watch, two teams of equal intensity levels and reasonable skills can make a good game to watch. However, you aren't going to beat the Aussies with a team from the Championship.

Football should teach us an important lessons - if you fluff the ego of a certain few British "stars", allow floods of overseas players fill the league and then have no structure to the game you play you get the situation where you can beat Aussie club sides in a one off but when you get 13 Englishmen toegther it's like they all brought their white canes with them when they try and play together.
As it was pointed out during the Germany - Holland match the other night, the Germans failed miserably and didn't even get out of their group at the last Euros, so they went away and re-thought their entire footballing philosophy and national team structure - 2 years later they got close to the WC final and now they are comfortable favourites for the Euors and look awesome. This is something England are utterly incapable of, we have no national structure or formation to the game.
We are quick to talk about how "ordinary" many aussie players seem when they come to England - that's not the point - they usually look ordianry because they are required to play with a blindfold on as they have no clue what the rest of their English teamates are doing.

It's the same in League. We've been banging on for decades how you can take pretty much any 13 Aussies and they will know how to play together - you add high quality players to that mix and you have a team we simply can't beat. It's a fact. We haven't yet gotten to grips with at a coaching or administrative level in this country. We spend far too much time fiddling with the PTB interpretation tying to make the game "look" nicer on tele to plebs who don't understand what RL is all about.

The irony of what Ellery says - and the point I pulled him up on, was that in 92 we got closest to beating them in a series mathematically since 1970 and never that close since (although I still think we were actually closer in 90 - but hey). And of course we know back then there was only one team in the competition and in the famous Melbourne battering we handed out the entire pack came from Wigan. They knew each other, they were good players, they were a great team and they were used to winning. Add a couple of brilliant individuals from other clubs and we were at our most competitive.
Get a consistant playing model, implement it, set expectations for individual skill lelve in key criteria that fit the model and watch us become better at international level.

FWIW I thought the last Origin game was turgid. It was more conservative than the Bullingdon club. A rugby ball would move faster through my colon than it did around that pitch.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
PreviousNext