WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Board index Other Forums Other Sports Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

 
A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 pm
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 pm
Posts: 7118
Location: Warrington
Cibaman wrote:
Capello was panned for getting results like that against USA and Algeria. And it would appear that England havent had a manager with have half a brain for a long time.

Could Hodgson ever do anything right for you?


Yeah, he got Fulham to the Wafer cup final, he cemented West Brom in the mid-table and he sold Roberto Carlos at Inter. I never had - and probably never will - praise a manager that gets his side to defend for 90 minutes and hopes for the best. I've said on many occasions, it shows a complete lack of ability if he can't get a side of decent players playing something remotely decent or skillful.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 pm
Dita's Slot Meter User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 2544
I thought that it would be France and Ukraine from this group before today's games and I haven't seen anything to change that opinion, except that I think the Ukranians will actually win the group.

I can see England crumbling in that atmosphere in their last game, which, after Ukraine's win, will almost definitely be a 'live' game....The only hope for England is that the Ukrainian's do a job on the French and gain early qualification, which might lead to them easing off in that last game. However, I don't see that happening.
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 pm
Dita's Slot Meter User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 2544
Roddy B wrote:
Yeah, he got Fulham to the Wafer cup final, he cemented West Brom in the mid-table and he sold Roberto Carlos at Inter. I never had - and probably never will - praise a manager that gets his side to defend for 90 minutes and hopes for the best. I've said on many occasions, it shows a complete lack of ability if he can't get a side of decent players playing something remotely decent or skillful.


But yet you praise a manager who spends millions, then proceeds to scrape a League Cup final against Championship opposition, whilst giving his side its worst league campaign in donkey's years???.... :?
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm
Wilbred T Pricklepop Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:47 pm
Posts: 1432
Roddy B wrote:
I've said on many occasions, it shows a complete lack of ability if he can't get a side of decent players playing something remotely decent or skillful.


What, like king kenny?

PLay sh*T for 120 minutes, scrape a draw against far inferior opposition then win on penalties? :DANCE:

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 pm
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 pm
Posts: 7118
Location: Warrington
Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
But yet you praise a manager who spends millions, then proceeds to scrape a League Cup final against Championship opposition, whilst giving his side its worst league campaign in donkey's years???.... :?


I praised Kenny for completely different reasons. I was massively critical of our season and I didn't argue when he was sacked. I praised Kenny for turning the club around after Roy, for restoring a bit of happiness in the fanbase and getting the side to play decent football. The short period under Roy remains the darkest period in my time supporting Liverpool, I have never been so unhappy in my time as a fan.

Wilbred T Pricklepop wrote:
What, like king kenny?

PLay sh*T for 120 minutes, scrape a draw against far inferior opposition then win on penalties? :DANCE:


Did Liverpool sit in their own box for 120 minutes and defend? No, they didn't. We had a bad game in that final, but you cannot dispute Liverpool were a passing side that attempted to play quality football. I can barely even remember that final, but we had something like 40 attempts on goal, you don't do that playing Hodgeball.

Still, what makes me p*ss is that Ingurland fans seem to be bringing King Kenny into a debate about Hodgson. Keep cheering sh*t on a stick whilst the routine flop will happen again. When the first decent side knocks you out, I imagine it will be universally accepted that England should be outplayed by them, nothing like being consistent 'n all.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:34 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Leeds
It was OK, Hodgson seems to have sorted the defence out and we look a lot more secure at the back, however I do worry about Johnson, he's the weak link. The only reason Milner is in the side is to cover Johnson when he gets caught out of position, I'll have to watch the French goal again but I was sure at the time it was him who was at fault for the goal becaue he was out of position when the ball came over to the right which allowed Ribery(?) to get the ball back into the middle. In the next game I'd bring Carrol in for Milner and move Young out wide. I'm not a Carroll fan by any means but I think having him in the side gives us more attacking options and I think him and Welbeck would work well together.

I wasn't that impressed with the Ukraine or Sweden. Both are dangerous and have 1 or 2 good attacking players, but nothing to lose any sleep over.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 pm
Smiggs User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 9106
Location: Hull
Charlie Sheen wrote:
It was OK, Hodgson seems to have sorted the defence out and we look a lot more secure at the back, however I do worry about Johnson, he's the weak link. The only reason Milner is in the side is to cover Johnson when he gets caught out of position, I'll have to watch the French goal again but I was sure at the time it was him who was at fault for the goal becaue he was out of position when the ball came over to the right which allowed Ribery(?) to get the ball back into the middle. In the next game I'd bring Carrol in for Milner and move Young out wide. I'm not a Carroll fan by any means but I think having him in the side gives us more attacking options and I think him and Welbeck would work well together.

I wasn't that impressed with the Ukraine or Sweden. Both are dangerous and have 1 or 2 good attacking players, but nothing to lose any sleep over.


I thought Johnson played OK, swept up a number of times when required and did a decent job. Biggest disappointments for me were Hart who I thought looked anxious/nervous and should have done better with the goal, Milner should have scored and couldn't supply any quality ball, Parker who spent most of his time rolling around on the floor and generally looking fatigued.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Leeds
Smiggs wrote:
I thought Johnson played OK, swept up a number of times when required and did a decent job. Biggest disappointments for me were Hart who I thought looked anxious/nervous and should have done better with the goal, Milner should have scored and couldn't supply any quality ball, Parker who spent most of his time rolling around on the floor and generally looking fatigued.


I thought Parker and Gerard both looked fairly poor. Its a shame Lampard was injured because I think he'd have done well coming off the bench. People are saying Rooney's our biggest loss but for me Jack Wilshire is the player we miss the most.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 am
mystic eddie User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 8728
Location: The Peoples Republic of Bradfordia (Scottish Branch)
I cannot believe Roddy still continues to get bites. He certainly puts on a good act. Well I assume it is an act because nobody could really be so thick and clueless without trying can they?
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012.

By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013

Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 am
Cibaman Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:49 pm
Posts: 6005
Location: Bradford
Roddy B wrote:
Yeah, he got Fulham to the Wafer cup final, he cemented West Brom in the mid-table and he sold Roberto Carlos at Inter. I never had - and probably never will - praise a manager that gets his side to defend for 90 minutes and hopes for the best. I've said on many occasions, it shows a complete lack of ability if he can't get a side of decent players playing something remotely decent or skillful.


I dont think any England manager will get away with playing ultra defensive football for any length of time. But I think hodgson deserves to be cut some slack, at least for the time being.

Given the very short time he's had with the players and the quality available to him, I think it's reasonable for him to take a cautious approach, to concentrate on the defence and organisation. I just do not see how the current crop of England players could be successful trying to play expansive football. At least he's set out with an idea of how he wants us to play, something which his predecessors seemed to lack.


Of course it's quite possible that we'll fail to score in our next two games and end up going home early. And then he'll have to put up with the criticism. But I dont think he deserves it based on yesterday's game
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Other Sports

cron

POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD (DATE)
4,485,96437675,5804,491 (28-03-2016)
Google Analytics Unique Monthly Users : 118,226 (May 2016)
DOWNLOAD OUR NEW ANDROID APP CLICK HERE!
YOUR CLUB : Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
R
L
F
A
N
A
L
Y
T
I
C
S


Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
Change these prefs/or turn this off...

FIXTURES/RESULTS

W/D/L DATE COMP HOME AWAY
L Fri 23rd Sep SL STS 32 12 WAK
L Thu 15th Sep SL WAK 12 18 HFC
L Fri 9th Sep SL WAK 10 14 CAT
L Fri 2nd Sep SL CAS 46 22 WAK
L Sun 21st Aug SL WID 40 8 WAK
L Sun 14th Aug SL WAK 10 38 WAR
L Fri 5th Aug SL WIG 60 12 WAK
L Sun 24th Jul SL WAK 20 46 CAS
W Sat 16th Jul SL CAT 28 30 WAK
L Fri 8th Jul SL WIG 22 18 WAK
L Sun 3rd Jul SL WAK 32 44 STS
L Fri 17th Jun SL WAK 6 32 LEE
W Sun 12th Jun SL HUD 2 10 WAK
L Thu 2nd Jun SL WAK 16 54 HKR
L Fri 27th May SL SAL 38 8 WAK
W Sun 22nd May SL WAK 25 24 CAT
W Sun 15th May SL WAK 36 28 WAR
W Sun 8th May CC2016 WAK 40 22 TOU
W Fri 29th Apr SL WID 16 18 WAK
L Sun 24th Apr SL WAK 28 46 HFC
W Fri 15th Apr CC2016 WAK 44 10 SHE
W Sun 10th Apr SL WAK 62 0 WIG
W Sat 2nd Apr SL WAK 32 18 SAL
W Mon 28th Mar SL LEE 16 20 WAK
W Fri 25th Mar SL WAK 36 22 HUD
L Fri 18th Mar SL HFC 22 4 WAK
L Fri 11th Mar SL STS 44 4 WAK
L Sun 6th Mar SL WAK 28 42 CAT
L Fri 26th Feb SL WAR 34 16 WAK
W Sun 21st Feb SL HKR 12 14 WAK
L Sun 14th Feb SL CAS 40 6 WAK
L Sun 7th Feb SL WAK 16 24 WID
Tab two Tab three

Copyrite RLFanalytics 2016
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
  4th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
TOULOUSE
v
BATLEY  
  5th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
HULL KR
v
BRADFORD  
  5th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
SWINTON
v
LONDON  
  5th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
ROCHDALE
v
DEWSBURY  
  5th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
OLDHAM
v
SHEFFIELD  
  5th Feb : 15:00
CH-R1
HALIFAX
v
FEATHERSTONE  
  9th Feb : 20:00
SL-R1
ST. HELENS
v
LEEDSTV  
  10th Feb : 20:00
SL-R1
WIDNES
v
HUDDERSFIELD  
  10th Feb : 20:00
SL-R1
CASTLEFORD
v
LEIGHTV  
  11th Feb : 15:00
SL-R1
SALFORD
v
WIGAN  
  11th Feb : 18:00
SL-R1
CATALANS
v
WARRINGTONTV