WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - IN 2019 | James Donaldson - Expires: 2019

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com IN 2019 | James Donaldson - Expires: 2019

Posted by KaeruJim on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 116th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 437
Having players like Donaldson around is probably good for the big crop of young lads coming through at the moment - they need role models. That back row is going to have fierce competition for places this season, that's for sure.
Posted by Fallon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 pm
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 104th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm
Posts: 1627
mean_machine wrote:
After watching him for the last few years, here's my take.

I was disappointed we let him go, but we had a number of players in the similar mould in a similar team and we have recruited size to replace which makes sense. He can slot in a couple of positions even did a stint at hooker for us.

Play him off the bench, especially down to 8 subs. His energy levels and work rate can really lift a team. Need somebody to take drive 1 off your own line against a rushing D, hes your man. Quick play the ball and plenty of mongrel.

He will win you at least 2/3 penalites a game, and he will be up there with most penalties for in the full league. His footwork near the line is good and rarely loses the collision even for someone his size. Defence is decent more technique then smashing somebody. Over your back rows I would have him above ferres, JJB, and potentially todays Ablett ( previous years abletts much better)

He will get a great reception at craven park if he makes the squad as he really is a player you'd want to go to war with. I reckon if he gets a run of games this thread will look completely different in a years time. For what your paying I think it's a bit of a steel, we just had too many of his ilk at rovers and needed to change strategy.

Genuinely good to have the view of someone who has watched him more than most on here

The problem is, for all the positives you gave him you basically said you let him go as you had similar who are better.

This bit will sound arrogant but... I would like to see Leeds aiming higher than a KR reject.

I'm happy to reserv judgement and still think we have lost nothing but think you may have inadvertently agreed with some of the nay-sayers on here.
Posted by RHINO-MARK on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 pm
RHINO-MARK User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 54
Rep Position: 76th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 48

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:46 pm
Posts: 1592
mean_machine wrote:
After watching him for the last few years, here's my take.

I was disappointed we let him go, but we had a number of players in the similar mould in a similar team and we have recruited size to replace which makes sense. He can slot in a couple of positions even did a stint at hooker for us.

Play him off the bench, especially down to 8 subs. His energy levels and work rate can really lift a team. Need somebody to take drive 1 off your own line against a rushing D, hes your man. Quick play the ball and plenty of mongrel.

He will win you at least 2/3 penalites a game, and he will be up there with most penalties for in the full league. His footwork near the line is good and rarely loses the collision even for someone his size. Defence is decent more technique then smashing somebody. Over your back rows I would have him above ferres, JJB, and potentially todays Ablett ( previous years abletts much better)

He will get a great reception at craven park if he makes the squad as he really is a player you'd want to go to war with. I reckon if he gets a run of games this thread will look completely different in a years time. For what your paying I think it's a bit of a steel, we just had too many of his ilk at rovers and needed to change strategy.

If he was so good irrespective of size surely you'd release someone else no?
Fwiw saying he's better than Ferres & Jjb is neither here nor there Jjb is at the end of a 15yr career & 3yrs min past his best & Ferres has been garbage ever since he arrived.
We have grafters we needed quality not stand ins.
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!
Posted by KaeruJim on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:36 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 116th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 437
RHINO-MARK wrote:
If he was so good irrespective of size surely you'd release someone else no?
Fwiw saying he's better than Ferres & Jjb is neither here nor there Jjb is at the end of a 15yr career & 3yrs min past his best & Ferres has been garbage ever since he arrived.
We have grafters we needed quality not stand ins.

Bottom line is we need a front row much more than a back row (and possibly a recognised left wing). I also think we lack outright pace, which again JD won’t address.
Posted by chapylad on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am
chapylad Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 37
Rep Position: 92nd / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:20 pm
Posts: 3821
Location: location, location
RHINO-MARK wrote:
Time will tell obviously mate i just dont see how he fits in or why he was signed.

Too true mate but maybe with his drive and enthusiasm he can help some of the youngsters progress.
Like I mentioned before if he was already with us I would be reluctant to let him go and see him well above the likes of Walters, Ormandroyd, Mullalley, JJB, Sutcliffe if he is now a forward and on a par with Ferres unless he gets his finger out and Ablett who has been poor for the last 2 years.
Like you say time will tell.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 238
Rep Position: 13th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3004
rollin thunder wrote:
people keep going on about his size, and yes by modern standards is not a big player in terms of height and weight, but there are plenty players around similar size, Furner was an international back row and is smaller and he was a superb player, Donaldson similar size build to JJb Ward.

What is Donaldson’s height and weight?
How does he compare to someone like John Bateman?
Posted by Biff Tannen on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:38 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 70th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 6195
Location: Hill Valley
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
What is Donaldson’s height and weight?
How does he compare to someone like John Bateman?


You can't compare someone like Donaldson with Bateman as Bateman is a one off. Probably the pound for pound strongest forward i have seen since Ellery Hanley. Yes they are probably similar size but one has freak strength the other doesn't.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Posted by Bulls Boy 2011 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm
Bulls Boy 2011 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 30
Rep Position: 99th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 48

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 pm
Posts: 3513
Location: Shipley, Bradford
Biff Tannen wrote:
You can't compare someone like Donaldson with Bateman as Bateman is a one off. Probably the pound for pound strongest forward i have seen since Ellery Hanley. Yes they are probably similar size but one has freak strength the other doesn't.


I've seen Bateman and Donaldson in the same side and I agree with you. Donaldson has his strengths (defence and work ethic) but Bateman is a freak. He was at my amateur club the year above me and people were saying he'd play for England eventually when he was 14/15. I think our best youth product since Burgess and we have a few of them knocking around (Whitehead, Trueman, Burgess bros.) Unbelievable strength as you say.

Anyway I wish we could have kept Donaldson as I like his work ethic and defense. However I do hope he proves to be an asset to yourselves this season and earns a longer deal. Although I do think you have some very good young players ready for that spot such as Cameron Smith (again he was good for us the other year on loan).
BULLSBOY2011:
'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'

Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)
Posted by tigertot on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 199
Rep Position: 15th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 308

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16232
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
What is Donaldson’s height and weight?
How does he compare to someone like John Bateman?

Wiki said something like 5'11'' & 13.5 stone. So really 5'6'' & 8 stone.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blocker75, Rammer and 74 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,862,01292377,4934,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TOMORROW 08:50
NRL
ST GEORGE
v
SOUTHS
TOMORROW 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 22nd Mar 07:00
NRL
CANBERRA
v
MELBOURNE STORM
Fri 22nd Mar 08:55
NRL
BRISBANE
v
NQL COWBOYS
Fri 22nd Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 22nd Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
HULL KR
Sat 23rd Mar 04:00
NRL
CRONULLA
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 23rd Mar 06:30
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
PENRITH
Sat 23rd Mar 08:35
NRL
MANLY
v
NZ WARRIORS
Sat 23rd Mar 15:00
 CH1
WEST WALES
v
WHITEHAVEN
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)