WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Manfredi makes his comeback

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Manfredi makes his comeback

Re: Manfredi makes his comeback
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 79
Rep Position: 35th / 77,328

Quiz Score: 0

It was great to see Dom’s big right foot step for his second try. It’s a thing of beauty that step and I’ve missed it!
As for Kibula, the lad is 18 and has a ton of development in him. He’ll develop physically, mentally and in terms of skill. However, I’m not sure you can develop the ‘dog’ in a player. The difference in his debut to that of Partington on Friday was huge. Partington’s was the best debut I’ve seen in a forward for years and he’s got plenty of development left him plus he’s got a load of ‘dog’ in him already. I hope he keeps his place in the squad, I’d love to see him at SL level again.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 64
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,328

Kibula is a really infuriating player for me. He has so much talent, bit doesn't work hard enough. A friend of mine likens him to Karl Pryce, just too "nice", I tink a year at somewhere like Workington would do him a world of good.

Sam Grant IMO is the most improved player in the academy. His footwork and acceleration are excellent but his ability to roll out of tackles is probably something I haven't seen since Gary Connolly. I think it's his last year at academy level and certainly should be a "keep" He seems to have grown taller but has yet to fill out. If they can put another 10 Kg on him he could be a Superleague player in two or three years time.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm
Posted by billys pineapple on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm
billys pineapple Stevo's Armpit

Being an old git, Sammy has a similar skillset to the great Bill Ashurst he just needs to find some of Bill,s aggression. I hope hope does not grow any more in size but develops massively in strength and power in the next couple of years. For such a big lad with a decent turn of pace he does not seem to be able to run his weight, I am sure this will happen as he develops.
If he does he could be the answer to the Lockers conundrum for many years, that is of course unless it becomes " his dream to play in the NRL" a couple of months after signing a lucrative contract at the DW and makes an absolute nob of himself by taking the p**s out of the club that made him what he is.
Also really impressed with Sam Grant has terrific potential and one to keep an eye on, good pace and skill.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 94th / 77,328

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Kibula is a really infuriating player for me. He has so much talent, bit doesn't work hard enough. A friend of mine likens him to Karl Pryce, just too "nice", I tink a year at somewhere like Workington would do him a world of good.

Sam Grant IMO is the most improved player in the academy. His footwork and acceleration are excellent but his ability to roll out of tackles is probably something I haven't seen since Gary Connolly. I think it's his last year at academy level and certainly should be a "keep" He seems to have grown taller but has yet to fill out. If they can put another 10 Kg on him he could be a Superleague player in two or three years time.

That's a pretty good comparison to be honest as Karl Pryce had all the skills needed to be a top player but none of the drive. It seems the club are deliberately leaving Kibula on the field for longer than he's comfortable with and they'll have their reasons. I think when Shaun Edwards takes charge it will be make or break - I can't see him tolerating any forward who isn't dogged in defence.

A few times when Grant was caught in possession he did very well to stand up in the tackle and shake off his opposite number. Size is important but it's not necessarily as important as strength. Manfredi has never been a big player but has always been powerful. There won't be much difference in terms of weight between Marshall and Manfredi but Manfredi is so much more powerful and athletic.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am
Posted by thepimp007 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 42
Rep Position: 62nd / 77,328

Quiz Score: 432

Rogues Gallery wrote:

With the right amount of bottle in him Karl could easily have been our answer to Greg Inglis. Shame really but he was always same in junior rugby in Bradford. Things got tough he would shy off. Bags of talent mind
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 am
Posted by exiled Warrior on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 am
exiled Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 17
Rep Position: 87th / 77,328

Wonder if Manfredi might just be back at the right time given that Marshall is likely out for the season.
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 106
Rep Position: 21st / 77,328

It’s a horrible way for Manfredi to get his chance but he must be really excited and I’m looking forward to watching him. I guess he may share wing duties with Escare for a while to ease him in but we’ll see.

What a game to come back in!!
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 am
Posted by exiled Warrior on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 am
exiled Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 17
Rep Position: 87th / 77,328

Agreed - Escare did ok when he came on against Cats - and it was interesting to see that when Sam was taking conversions Escare went to FB for the kick off after to give Sam time to get back in position. Such fluidity of position is a big help.
Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 46th / 77,328

I'm interested to see how we line up v Saints, all of which could effect our attack on the edges.

Wane alluded to keeping Sarge on the left edge, meaning Gildart will play right centre. This could either provide Davies with more ball or negative effect Gilly's game, who is used to playing on the left side.
I could also see Wane holding back on Dom, keeping Morgan on the wing, or even playing Gilly on the wing keeping Isa in the right centre.
Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 32
Rep Position: 72nd / 77,328

Keep Morgy on the wing and loan Dom out so he can get match fit in a less demanding league, would be a big mistake to bring him back so quickly
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
PreviousNext