WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Blake Austin On “Long Term Deal”? CONFIRMED OFFICIAL

Board index Super League Eights Warrington Wolves Blake Austin On “Long Term Deal”? CONFIRMED OFFICIAL

Posted by Tubby on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:30 am
Tubby Stevo's Armpit

Gday lads, long time Wire supporter from Australia here. Austin will be a huge pick up for you guys, like BrisbaneRhino said he's not the best game manager/ball player, but he plays with high energy and has a great running game. Sounds like he has his head in the game as well (unlike Roberts). Potential man of steel winner IMO
Posted by rubber duckie on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 am
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,216

Quiz Score: 0

Tubby wrote:
Gday lads, long time Wire supporter from Australia here. Austin will be a huge pick up for you guys, like BrisbaneRhino said he's not the best game manager/ball player, but he plays with high energy and has a great running game. Sounds like he has his head in the game as well (unlike Roberts). Potential man of steel winner IMO

Who would you recommend as a scrum half from Aus would balance out Austin's inclusion with his lack in some attributes?

BTW
Surprised you said "you guys" for being a Wire too!
:-0
once a wire always a wire
Posted by Freddie Miller. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:46 am
Freddie Miller. Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,216

Irish Wire wrote:
Anyone else see his performance for Canberra last weekend.

Turned the game on it's head in the last fifteen minutes.

In fifteen minutes his stats read something like:-

Carries 7.
Metres gained 95.
Line breaks 5.
Tries 1.

The commentators were out of their seats.

I was at the game and 18 pts were scored in the last 6 mins with Austin scoring the first of their 3 tries . Remarkable performance by Austin and for Canberra to win the game. Stuart will probably use him as an impact sub in the future. He is on the bench this week.

First saw Warrington play in Hull in 48/49 when the team had Bevan, Francis, Helme and Bath to name just a few! Saw them win the first CC I attended a couple of years later. Although a Hull FC fan I have always followed the fortunes of Warrinton as my next favourite team.
Posted by Uncle Rico on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 am
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Freddie Miller. wrote:
I was at the game and 18 pts were scored in the last 6 mins with Austin scoring the first of their 3 tries . Remarkable performance by Austin and for Canberra to win the game. Stuart will probably use him as an impact sub in the future. He is on the bench this week.

First saw Warrington play in Hull in 48/49 when the team had Bevan, Francis, Helme and Bath to name just a few! Saw them win the first CC I attended a couple of years later. Although a Hull FC fan I have always followed the fortunes of Warrinton as my next favourite team.

Cheers Freddie, reading your Wire list just sent a shiver down my spine although that team and following was my dad's generation.

All the best pal
Posted by Tubby on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm
Tubby Stevo's Armpit

rubber duckie wrote:
Who would you recommend as a scrum half from Aus would balance out Austin's inclusion with his lack in some attributes?

BTW
Surprised you said "you guys" for being a Wire too!
:-0

We only get the odd Super League game shown in Aus so it's hard to be a devoted fan, hence the 'you guys' :lol: have always kept an interest though since Andrew Johns's stint many moons ago.

Corey Norman seems to be on the outer with the Parramatta Eels, on his day is brilliant, he'd be a great pick up. Benji Marshall is another guy at the end of his career still playing great footy who could go on another year or two
Posted by Johnkendal on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm
Johnkendal User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
I think he'll be a star in SL. He's a class above Roberts in terms of what he's done in the NRL. On his day he's the best running stand off in the NRL bar none. He's not a great organiser, can hog the ball and his defence can be targeted, but if he's on he will win matches on his own. Whilst I would have liked Leeds to have signed him, its great for SL to sign someone like Austin, who's one of the most recognisable NRL players there is. Given his daft goatee-hair combo he could and should be a PR dream as well.

I thought Roberts would go well for you, but Austin is genuinely a step above him at his best.

Re England, I think he's eligible but it was McNamara who was looking for England-qualified NRL players. McNamara did make a point of saying that he wouldn't chase anyone, it was up to them to make the move. Personally if he plays well for Wire I'd love it if he put his hand up for England, we're desperate for a second halfback.

Ah 10 mins walk from the suncorp!! that brings back some memories from last year.
Thanks for the info, cant wait to see him over here!
Posted by Oxford Exile on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Oxford Exile User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,216

Irish Wire wrote:
Anyone else see his performance for Canberra last weekend.

Turned the game on it's head in the last fifteen minutes.

In fifteen minutes his stats read something like:-

Carries 7.
Metres gained 95.
Line breaks 5.
Tries 1.

The commentators were out of their seats.

I saw the performance..it was impressive BUT I worry he is an impact player....against a tired defence he can exploit with his size and step...I just hope that he can carry a team through a whole match...with direction and creativity...because thats what we need. We shall see.
top flight since 1895
Posted by Or thane on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
Or thane Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Josh Drinkwater at scrum half would be amazing, unless Brown goes and we finally play patton at Scrum half?
Posted by lister on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:43 pm
lister User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,216

49 minutes for Blake this week. He filled in at centre after Jarrod Croker went off injured.

9 runs
3 passes
105 metres (33 normal run, 60 hitup, 12 kick return)
1 try (great effort, the ball from a kick was nearly over the dead ball line, but he didn't give up and got a hand to it)
Posted by rubber duckie on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

lister wrote:
49 minutes for Blake this week. He filled in at centre after Jarrod Croker went off injured.

9 runs
3 passes
105 metres (33 normal run, 60 hitup, 12 kick return)
1 try (great effort, the ball from a kick was nearly over the dead ball line, but he didn't give up and got a hand to it)

....but not too get too carried away as he came on fit against tired players once again.
once a wire always a wire
PreviousNext