Wed 23 May : RLFANS.COM will be undergoing maintenance over the next few days and the service may be unavailable periodically.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 15 | Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com RD 15 | Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers

Posted by Toosmooth on Thu May 17, 2018 5:30 pm
Toosmooth User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:53 am
Posts: 187
We've led in a lot of games we've lost, so it's not like we're struggling like in the seasons when we finished 5th, where we were getting regularly battered by 40pts. However 5th doesn't get you a shot at the GF anymore. I think with injuries we should realistically just hope for Hudds in the cup semi and a trip to Wembley.
Just let me check. Thermos, sandwiches, corn plasters, telephone money, dandruff brush, animal footprint chart and... one triple thick condom. You never know.
Posted by Biff Tannen on Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 5777
Location: Hill Valley
Toosmooth wrote:
We've led in a lot of games we've lost, so it's not like we're struggling like in the seasons when we finished 5th, where we were getting regularly battered by 40pts. However 5th doesn't get you a shot at the GF anymore. I think with injuries we should realistically just hope for Hudds in the cup semi and a trip to Wembley.


We need to beat Cas, this is a key game for us and hopefully they are fired up. Still a long way to go and i wouldn't fear anyone if we have a full or near full strength side out at the business end but we need to keep in the hunt to give ourselves that chance.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 455
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
Couldn’t agree more, how Marty Grrrrrrr! can say this weeks games isn’t a must win fixture is beyond me.


I say it cos after this week's game we are not even at the halfway point in the league season.

We can win on Sat and miss out on the top 4 and we can lose and still make top 4. After Saturday we have 16 league games to go. We're currently 1 point off 4th with a game in hand. You talk as tho we are miles behind the top 4.
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Posts: 8519
Location: 10 mins walk from Suncorp Stadium
The reality is that anything more than 2 points to make up on 4th is hard to make up in the 8s (especially if points difference means we need to get more than 2 points).
When you look at the top 8s if everyone plays to form you've got 2 really tough games vs the top 2, and 3 really winnable games against 6-8. The same is true for both 4th and 5th placed teams. If you assume we both get the same sort of results (win 3 lose 2) of those, that only leaves two games to actually make up the gap (and you'd have to beat the team in 4th head to head to stand a chance). It would be a different kettle of fish if the lower end of the top 8s were actually competitive, but we've basically seen every year two or three teams just making up the numbers and barely competing.

I'm not saying its not possible to make up an even bigger gap than 2 points, but unless we're flying to the extent we can (and do) beat anyone, we really shouldn't underestimate how hard it is. In the three years we've had this system only one side - Sts last year - got into the top 4 from being outside during the regular season, and they were just one point behind Salford, who had probably overachieved to get there and imploded in the 8s.
Posted by rollin thunder on Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 2065
BrisbaneRhino wrote:
The reality is that anything more than 2 points to make up on 4th is hard to make up in the 8s (especially if points difference means we need to get more than 2 points).
When you look at the top 8s if everyone plays to form you've got 2 really tough games vs the top 2, and 3 really winnable games against 6-8. The same is true for both 4th and 5th placed teams. If you assume we both get the same sort of results (win 3 lose 2) of those, that only leaves two games to actually make up the gap (and you'd have to beat the team in 4th head to head to stand a chance). It would be a different kettle of fish if the lower end of the top 8s were actually competitive, but we've basically seen every year two or three teams just making up the numbers and barely competing.

I'm not saying its not possible to make up an even bigger gap than 2 points, but unless we're flying to the extent we can (and do) beat anyone, we really shouldn't underestimate how hard it is. In the three years we've had this system only one side - Sts last year - got into the top 4 from being outside during the regular season, and they were just one point behind Salford, who had probably overachieved to get there and imploded in the 8s.

Pretty Much spot on, with eevry side playing each other even if we went 7 games in a row, the sides above us would have to drop 3-4 games for us to over take them, we have to be within 2 points of 4th by the split otherwise its game over.
Posted by Frosties. on Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Frosties. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 4

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:24 pm
Posts: 8226
McDermott confirms that Hall will play, Ablett will not.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1648
While we have a game in hand on Hull, Cas have a game in hand on us. If we lose we will be 3 points behind both Cas and Hull, having played a game more than Cas, and be in 6th place. This would be an incredibly tough position to come back from, this is why I say tomorrow is a must win game.
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Fri May 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 455
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
While we have a game in hand on Hull, Cas have a game in hand on us. If we lose we will be 3 points behind both Cas and Hull, having played a game more than Cas, and be in 6th place. This would be an incredibly tough position to come back from, this is why I say tomorrow is a must win game.


With 16 games to go a few points can be made up surely?
Posted by Juan Cornetto on Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 am
Juan Cornetto User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 pm
Posts: 4686
Location: Living the Dream

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
While we have a game in hand on Hull, Cas have a game in hand on us. If we lose we will be 3 points behind both Cas and Hull, having played a game more than Cas, and be in 6th place. This would be an incredibly tough position to come back from, this is why I say tomorrow is a must win game.



Come on, you just like saying "this is a must win game" You say it almost every week and you even said it about the knock out Cup match!

Professional players do not go into a match with the idea of losing a game and I doubt coaches say to their players "this is a must win game" as though by saying it this will improve form or overcome injury problems.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation.
As you grow older, it will avoid you!
- Winston Churchill
Posted by Mark Laurie on Sat May 19, 2018 9:35 am
Mark Laurie Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:21 pm
Posts: 803
I am sober.
I have not yet got sunstroke.
Based on recent performances, today I would have picked Walters ahead of Ferres.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barley Mow, cheekydiddles, Dadsylad, ducknumber1, Gotcha, gulfcoast_highwayman, Jrrhino, RHINO-MARK, rollin thunder, tad rhino, tony1983 and 153 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,733,2781,78876,8574,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 10:50
NRL
BRISBANE
v
PARRAMATTA EELS
TODAY 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
CASTLEFORD
v
ST. HELENS
TOMORROW 09:00
NRL
CANBERRA
v
MANLY
TOMORROW 10:50
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
MELBOURNE STORM
TOMORROW 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
TOMORROW 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
HULL FC
TOMORROW 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
TOMORROW 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIDNES VIKINGS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 26th May 06:00
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 26th May 08:30
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
SOUTHS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)