Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,033

Quiz Score: 0

Lee Smith who won MoM as a last minute full back in a GF, and played a major role in both other GFs he played in (in different positions) would be behind Carl Gibson or Dave Heron? Heron maybe, but not Gibson for me. As someone who started watching in 1981 I'm well aware of how good and how ordinary both Heron and Gibbo could be.

I hear what you're saying about not ignoring players from unsuccessful eras - Bert Cook, Arthur Clues and Drew Turnbull won sweet FA but all should be in the HoF eventually. But you also can't and shouldn't ignore success, because in the end that's why the club exists. There are players who are unlikely to be considered from the Golden Era - Bailey, Kirke etc, who played in a few GFs but were bit part players, plus a whole host who played in one or two GFs. But as a whole for me the Golden era should be overepresented numerically in a Hall of Fame - just as the previous 60s/70s era should be as well.

For me from the Golden era I'd say eventual 'must haves' for the HoF are Sinfield, McGuire, Burrow, Peacock, JJB, Ablett, Leuluai, Lauti'iti, Hall, Senior, Diskin. On top of them you could make strong cases for Webb, Lee Smith and Hardaker.
Re: SS Hall of Fame
Post Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am
Posted by lionarmour87 on Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,033

there are now former players from the golden era who have been retired 5 years ,but I think they will wait till 2020 for Sinfield and Peacock to be the first of that era to be inducted . When I mentioned former players I would include Barrie McDermott too because one of the criteria is ' must have made a contribution to rugby in Leeds' whatever that means ? Barrie was youth development officer coach and he had the job of helping players adjust to life when their playing career finished
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Post Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am
Posted by rollin thunder on Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 77,033

lionarmour87 wrote:
there are now former players from the golden era who have been retired 5 years ,but I think they will wait till 2020 for Sinfield and Peacock to be the first of that era to be inducted . When I mentioned former players I would include Barrie McDermott too because one of the criteria is ' must have made a contribution to rugby in Leeds' whatever that means ? Barrie was youth development officer coach and he had the job of helping players adjust to life when their playing career finished

Barrie should be in no doubt. Adrien Morley no doubt.
Post Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am
Posted by rollin thunder on Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 77,033

[quote="BrisbaneRhino"]Lee Smith who won MoM as a last minute full back in a GF, and played a major role in both other GFs he played in (in different positions) would be behind Carl Gibson or Dave Heron? Heron maybe, but not Gibson for me. As someone who started watching in 1981 I'm well aware of how good and how ordinary both Heron and Gibbo could be.

Dave Creaser the other good payer from that era, but injuries stopped his career really kicking on, another player better that Lee smith, this is not a dig at smith, fine player but but a good player playing in a great team around greater players.
i'd still have Gibbo as he held several club records consecutive appearances consecutive trys and was a regular Gb international in very competitive GB sides.

i'm sticking with Heron also. and Roy Powell without any doubt.
on a side note if we picked the worse players ever to play for us, most would come from mid to late 80's.
Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Posted by RHINO-MARK on Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm
RHINO-MARK User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,033

Quiz Score: 48

One thing is for sure Ferres wont be in it.
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!
Post Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am
Posted by Damo-Leeds on Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am
Damo-Leeds User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

This is taken from the front page of Southstander:

After running this site since 1996 (in its various guises first as an independent site and then within Rivals.net before finding a permanent home on RLFANS.COM) I decided to call it a day at the end of the 2014 season. The reasons for this were my move to a new life in northern Spain and the increased pressure of other demands on my time.
It was a fantastic trip and I was privileged to meet a load of great people along the way, attend some major events at the pinnacle of the sport, and experience hundreds of ups an downs associated with following Leeds Rugby and then Leeds Rhinos. My only regret was pulling the plug just one year short of the 'all conquering' treble.
If anyone wants to take over the site, or contribute in a regular manner with articles and/or match reports then please get in touch with me at paul.coward@rlfans.com and I'll have a chat with you about how we can bring the site back to life.

It is incredibly hard work running a fan site and Paul went the extra mile more than anybody else. Supporters of this site even sponsored players at one point. Hopefully a group will be up for contributing to the front page in future so the Hall of Fame can be updated!
Post Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 am
Posted by tigertot on Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 am
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 77,033

Quiz Score: 308

RHINO-MARK wrote:
One thing is for sure Ferres wont be in it.

I don't know. Another few full length tries in his undies like after half time & he could be a shoe in.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Previous