WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wire Match Showing in Singapore?

Board index Super League Eights Warrington Wolves Wire Match Showing in Singapore?

Re: Wire Match Showing in Singapore?
Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Difficult decision for you to make, uprooting your family on one side, big adventure on the other.
I'd be niggled by wondering "what if" should I have stayed put.
Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pm
Posted by Mr Snoodle on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pm
Mr Snoodle User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

MorePlaymakersNeeded wrote:
Difficult decision for you to make, uprooting your family on one side, big adventure on the other.
I'd be niggled by wondering "what if" should I have stayed put.

If you get homesick you can always get your missus to be average at her job, put in very little effort then tell them she's going home after 12 months
Don't die with the music in you
Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 pm
Posted by easyWire on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 pm
easyWire User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 32

Wires71 wrote:
Is it true it rains more than Manchester? My missus has the opportunity to work there and move the family out. As much as I enjoy different cultures, especially the Far East, I am put off by the climate.

The climate you’ll be able to cope with, albeit very humid most days... the big problem is that you get bored of it very quickly. Remember there are no true seasons around the equator, especially south-east Asia - there’s wet days and veg wet days. It will be dry and warm in the morning and thunderstorms in hot sticky air in the afternoon.

The other problem with being an expat (especially in a tiny island like Singapore) is that you get cabin fever VERY quickly. I spent 7 years overseas and we were lucky enough to be able to travel away every couple of months for a break. It does get to you eventually though, and unless your wife is head of a global bank you’ll probably spend all the extra money you earn on entertaining yourself out there. A lot of people are heading home from there, Hong Kong and Dubai as the lifestyle is not what it used to be.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am
Posted by Wires71 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am
Wires71 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 0

easyWire wrote:
The climate you’ll be able to cope with, albeit very humid most days... the big problem is that you get bored of it very quickly. Remember there are no true seasons around the equator, especially south-east Asia - there’s wet days and veg wet days. It will be dry and warm in the morning and thunderstorms in hot sticky air in the afternoon.

The other problem with being an expat (especially in a tiny island like Singapore) is that you get cabin fever VERY quickly. I spent 7 years overseas and we were lucky enough to be able to travel away every couple of months for a break. It does get to you eventually though, and unless your wife is head of a global bank you’ll probably spend all the extra money you earn on entertaining yourself out there. A lot of people are heading home from there, Hong Kong and Dubai as the lifestyle is not what it used to be.

Thanks EasyWire. It is a top position she has been offered but I think we will swerve this opportunity and wait for another opportunity somewhere else in the world. If I couldn't ride my motorbikes and get a suntan it's out. :-) Just hoping the San Diego chance comes and you wont see us for dust.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am
Posted by easyWire on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am
easyWire User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 32

Wires71 wrote:
Thanks EasyWire. It is a top position she has been offered but I think we will swerve this opportunity and wait for another opportunity somewhere else in the world. If I couldn't ride my motorbikes and get a suntan it's out. :-) Just hoping the San Diego chance comes and you wont see us for dust.

Now San Diego I CAN recommend... one of the best quality of life cities in the US. Just stay away from LA it’s a hole!
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

easyWire wrote:

Proper peaing it down, then?
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 pm
Posted by Uncle Rico on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,218

Good spot ha ha
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Posted by Wires71 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Wires71 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,218

easyWire wrote:
Now San Diego I CAN recommend... one of the best quality of life cities in the US. Just stay away from LA it’s a hole!

Yes I lived there for 3 months doing a tech transfer for Nokia. Amazing place, Pacific ocean, palm trees, beaches, naval base, zoo, mohave desert, loads to do and the most perfect climate I have ever encountered.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm
Posted by fez1 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm
fez1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Thanks guys - I'll check it out.
(By the way Raffles Hotel is closed for a major refurb - 18mths!!)
Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am
Posted by Captain Hook on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,218

Deeply envious of transferable skills, I had an overnight stay in Bridlington once...it rained...a lot.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Previous