WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?

Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,218

Quiz Score: 0

Toronto showed so far that they are superior to Halifax at Halifax but close in quality to Hull KR at Toronto.

Toulouse have shown that they cannot compete with Leeds at Leeds but are far superior to Halifax in Toulouse.

London have shown that they are superior to Widnes at Widnes.

I guess we will have a better idea after London hosts Leeds on Sunday 19th August and when London play Toronto in Toronto on September 1.

My guess is that the final ranking will be:

1. Leeds
2. Salford
3. Hull KR
4. Toronto *
5. Toulouse or London
6,. Toulouse or London
7. Widnes
8. Halifax

* = MPG
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Posted by atomic on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:08 am
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,218

I'd be more concerned with how Toronto deal with that defeat,before making predictions.
Posted by RLRealist on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 am
RLRealist User avatar
Strong-running second rower

atomic wrote:
I'd be more concerned with how Toronto deal with that defeat,before making predictions.

That was quite a respectable defeat. Any other team playing HKR and it would be a non-issue....Hull KR have had 123 years, Toronto, about 3....
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,218

RLRealist wrote:
That was quite a respectable defeat. Any other team playing HKR and it would be a non-issue....Hull KR have had 123 years, Toronto, about 3....

What utter drivel.......Toronto are nowt more than a bunch of average RL players with the same pedigree as Fax, Fev or HKR.......they are the RFL's version of Melbourne Storm having been given every assistance available.....they offer nothing to the gme other than a different home for has been players and £1.8 million of sky cash....and as for the announced gate last night.......there weren't 4k there last night!
To answer the OP......toronto will most likely go up.....and then you'll see exactly what the emperor is wearing!
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by Durham Giant on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,218

RLRealist wrote:

And yet completely irrelevant as to points

123 years win. 2 Points

3 years experience nul points.

The points number is more important than the years in the league.

Personally I would love to see Toronto come up
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Posted by fun time frankie on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:06 am
fun time frankie Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,218

[quote="RLRealist"]That was quite a respectable defeat. Any other team playing HKR and it would be a non-issue....Hull KR have had 123 years, Toronto, about 3....[/quote]

Formed in 1882
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 5th / 77,218

With Widnes in freefall, there is a real prospect of the MPG being between 2 Championship clubs.
The winning side will be the one that prepares the best and with the main contenders being Toronto, London and Toulouse.
Home draw will be critical therefore, achieving 4th place in the qualifiers is key.

On this basis, you'd have to fancy Toronto but, they do seem very similat (in more ways than one) to the Leigh team that , having smashed everything and everyone in The Championship, then failed to gain promotion.

It could all get mighty interesting, although, I'm sure that there may be a different plan to get them into SL anyway.
Posted by SRV on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 am
SRV Stevo's Armpit

Call Me God wrote:
What utter drivel.......Toronto are nowt more than a bunch of average RL players with the same pedigree as Fax, Fev or HKR.......they are the RFL's version of Melbourne Storm having been given every assistance available.....they offer nothing to the gme other than a different home for has been players and £1.8 million of sky cash....and as for the announced gate last night.......there weren't 4k there last night!
To answer the OP......toronto will most likely go up.....and then you'll see exactly what the emperor is wearing!

What assistance have Toronto been given?
Posted by Nothus on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 pm
Nothus User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,218

I don't think Toronto will be too bothered by yesterday's defeat. They only need to finish above their fellow champ clubs to be in the mpg and I believe they play both Toulouse and London at home, so they should be winning those games.
Widnes looked dire against Salford and could very well finish 6th - 8th at the final standings. If this happens then it's a very real possibility that Toronto will find themselves with the prospect of a home game against another championship side to gain SL status.
Posted by RLRealist on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm
RLRealist User avatar

Call Me God wrote:

What utter drivel.......indeed. :roll:
Next