Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:01 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 84th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 0

hatty wrote:
We've just ended one Wigan old boys club I'd hate for us to start another.

Do you think Edwards would create a boys club mentality like Wane has.. :lol: :lol:

Fight club maybe..If you're not giving 110% under Edwards, your gone!!
Re: New Boss
Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm
Posted by hatty on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
So even if Edwards is the best man for the job, or Lam, Furner or Barrett, they should all be avoided because they have a history with Wigan? I just don’t get that at all.

Nope not at all as none of those that you mention with exception of Edwards are wiganers. I just don’t want to get a manager who can only relate to a Wigan accent and who tries to fill the team full of wiganers because it’s what Wigan wants. I want to watch the best talent that’s available, if I want to watch a team full of wiganers I’ll go to watch Pats, Bridge or Jude’s.
That’s not being disrespectful to local lads but not everyone will turn into a Shaun Edwards, Andy Gregory or Andy Farrell. We need a mix of local, national and international players and sadly I don’t think Edwards is the man to do that IMO
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 83
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,341

hatty wrote:
Nope not at all as none of those that you mention with exception of Edwards are wiganers. I just don’t want to get a manager who can only relate to a Wigan accent and who tries to fill the team full of wiganers because it’s what Wigan wants. I want to watch the best talent that’s available, if I want to watch a team full of wiganers I’ll go to watch Pats, Bridge or Jude’s.
That’s not being disrespectful to local lads but not everyone will turn into a Shaun Edwards, Andy Gregory or Andy Farrell. We need a mix of local, national and international players and sadly I don’t think Edwards is the man to do that IMO

I don’t understand why you think Edwards would try to get a team filled with local lads? The club has proven that whilst we depend heavily on local talent, they’ll bring in players who are deemed right for the club. Clubb, Sarginson, Flower, Hardaker, McIllorum, Bateman, Leuluai, Hamlin, Gelling, FPN to name just a few.

Salary cap dictates that we need to develop players as much as possible and support them with good signings from elsewhere. The days of Brett Kenny and Gene Miles are long gone and we can’t possibly compete for the world’s best players any more.

I believe wholeheartedly that Edwards would be instrumental in changing the way we play for the better and would have us competing for honest consistently.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 pm
Posted by tugglesf78 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 pm
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 99th / 77,341

hatty wrote:

What possible evidence exists to even remotely indicate that would happen?

Seriously. I’m confused as to why that would be even mentioned by you.

Talk about just conjuring an opinion based on nothing other than a preconceived notion.
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm
Free-scoring winger

tugglesf78 wrote:

Talk about just conjuring an opinion based on nothing other than a preconceived notion.

Not just me then? :D
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 am
Posted by DaveO on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 am
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 61st / 77,341

My choice would be Edwards but not at the cost of an interim coach. My reasons for wanting him?
I was lucky enough to watch Edwards make his debut and watched his entire career. I’ve yet to see a player with a better rugby brain than Edwards and I’m 100% sure he’ll have kept up with the game and still watches it when he can. He’s been out of the game but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand it.
He went to RU and won 3 x premierships. He went to Wales RU and was described as the biggest ever loss to English rugby. His player management is renowned as first class and he’s a Wigan fan. What more could we ask for? If he’s supported by people like Lockers, there will be sufficient continuity but with an entirely new approach and I’d be intrigued to see how it went. One things for sure, his appointment would certainly put bums on seats and bring fans back through the turnstiles.

The above was the second post in the thread. Got it in one and yet the thread has accrued five more pages at the time I post this. Should have been the shortest thread in history :D
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:54 am
Posted by hatty on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:54 am
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

tugglesf78 wrote:

No evidence just my opinion, after all this is a forum where people can express their views isn’t it?
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 am
Free-scoring winger

DaveO wrote:
The above was the second post in the thread. Got it in one and yet the thread has accrued five more pages at the time I post this. Should have been the shortest thread in history :D

Well thanks for the compliment DaveO! I do believe that was in fact my post! :wink:
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 am
Posted by tugglesf78 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 am
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 99th / 77,341

hatty wrote:
No evidence just my opinion, after all this is a forum where people can express their views isn’t it?

100%

However in order to form an opinion you at least have a duty to base that opinion on somthing tangible. If possible it would also be good if you could share that thought process with the rest us us. In turn we can then debate or agree on why such a thing has been said.

Without any form of reasoning the thing you are saying is pretty worthless.

So

Please tell us why, in your opinion, would Edwards create a jobs for the boys environment?
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 65
Rep Position: 45th / 77,341

Edwards over Lam for me. I don't know if Lam has changed since his time at Wigan as a player, but he was VERY much jack the lad. I know of lots of stories involving Lammy, he very much embraced the fun side of being a RL name in a small town. Was a bit of a wild man.
PreviousNext