Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,914

Quiz Score: 0

Grimmy wrote:
Do you think Tautai is quick enough to defend at second row, and fit enough to stay on for the amount of time they play? I don't, and would look at dropping him if Navarette is doing as well as Wane indicates.

Yes I do. He's an athletic forward.
Re: Wigan 19 for Widnes
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:52 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,914

Grimmy wrote:
Do you think Tautai is quick enough to defend at second row, and fit enough to stay on for the amount of time they play? I don't, and would look at dropping him if Navarette is doing as well as Wane indicates.

He’s either not fit enough or probably more accurate, not pushing himself enough to even hold a spot spelling in the front row at the minute so there’s no way he can be trusted to go in at second row.

There’s a decent enough front rower in there somewhere with Tautai but he’s conned us in his time at the club. He played his socks off in the 2nd half of 2016 to get himself in a spot for a new deal and ever since that was signed in the early stages of last year, he’s dropped off a cliff and gone back to his form of year one at the club.

It’s become boring waiting for him to put a shift in again.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm
Posted by JonnyBroad on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm
JonnyBroad Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,914

Faz in centre is something i have said before. But i think left centre is the only place he could play, right centre be too much of a change for him.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,914

NickyKiss wrote:
He’s either not fit enough or probably more accurate, not pushing himself enough to even hold a spot spelling in the front row at the minute so there’s no way he can be trusted to go in at second row.

There’s a decent enough front rower in there somewhere with Tautai but he’s conned us in his time at the club. He played his socks off in the 2nd half of 2016 to get himself in a spot for a new deal and ever since that was signed in the early stages of last year, he’s dropped off a cliff and gone back to his form of year one at the club.

It’s become boring waiting for him to put a shift in again.

TT started off life as a winger, then centre, then into the pack. With his size and movement he'd add size and power to our edge. Maybe this transition would take a few games (as expected) but for me it's an experiment worth having. Get him running at smaller men further out wide and see his metres improve.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
TT started off life as a winger, then centre, then into the pack. With his size and movement he'd add size and power to our edge. Maybe this transition would take a few games (as expected) but for me it's an experiment worth having. Get him running at smaller men further out wide and see his metres improve.

He’d be embarrassed defensively imo because half the time he looks heavy legged and disoriented when trying to get back in to the line. He frustrates the life out of me because he’s shown us how good he can be but ever since that new deal was in his pocket he’s hardly put a good game together. The first place he’d be moving to for me would be the reserve side to try and get some form.

If we wanted a prop to cover the second row then Sutton did a grand job there a couple of seasons back but he’s another who I’d be more inclined to play in the reserves to try and shake him up. Unfortunately with FPN gone and Wells injured all the forwards have that bit less competition to push them.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,914

Quiz Score: 248

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Yes I do. He's an athletic forward.

Massively disagree with this. He's really blowing at the end of a 20 minute stint, and can occasionally struggle to get back into the defensive line/set at marker. Sutton or Flower are better options if you wanted a big back rower (which I can understand) because they are both more mobile and have better stamina. Betts would have him trying to shirt grab halves and centres all day if we stuck him in at second row. He would be gasping for air when we have the ball, never mind trampling over anyone.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Massively disagree with this. He's really blowing at the end of a 20 minute stint, and can occasionally struggle to get back into the defensive line/set at marker. Sutton or Flower are better options if you wanted a big back rower (which I can understand) because they are both more mobile and have better stamina. Betts would have him trying to shirt grab halves and centres all day if we stuck him in at second row. He would be gasping for air when we have the ball, never mind trampling over anyone.

He always looks like he’s flapping when getting back in the line as though he’s lost the spot he should be defending in.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:42 pm
Posted by Levrier on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:42 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,914

So Bateman to centre again. Given our lack of size I can see why we do it but I would still rather see a centre playing centre and one of our best forwards playing in the forwards. Perhaps we should put another forward on the wing given the lack of ball they are going to get.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:56 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:56 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,914

Bateman is too good to be left out, we all agree on that. In my view, Joel and Faz deserve their place in the 17 too and based on this season’s form, I’d be leaving Powell, Isa and Tautai out and bring Shorrocks, Navarette and Hamlin in. If I was picking this week’s team, it would be as follows.
Tomkins
Davies
Burgess
Gildart
Marshall
Williams
Shorrocks
Flower
Leuluai
Clubb
Farrell
Bateman
Lockers

Tomkins
Navarette
Hamlin
Escare
Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Bateman is too good to be left out, we all agree on that. In my view, Joel and Faz deserve their place in the 17 too and based on this season’s form, I’d be leaving Powell, Isa and Tautai out and bring Shorrocks, Navarette and Hamlin in. If I was picking this week’s team, it would be as follows.
Tomkins
Davies
Burgess
Gildart
Marshall
Williams
Shorrocks
Flower
Leuluai
Clubb
Farrell
Bateman
Lockers

Tomkins
Navarette
Hamlin
Escare

You’ve left Sutton out as well and that would be fair enough on current form. I was looking at some stats earlier and his average gain this year is a shade over 6m per carry. That is embarrassing really, especially for a kid who’s apparently off to the NRL. If he’s making that little impact on defensive lines in superleague then I shudder to think what could happen in that sort of company.

I say all that and what frustrates me is that like Tautai, the lad is a decent player but many of our players and especially our props seem to get in to a comfort zone. Maybe it’s the fact we’ve become a comfort blanket for our past players to fall back on when they don’t crack the NRL. In regards to the props I suspect it’s becausr the demands on them are so low. They’re never expected to take the ball from their own line and none of them need to fight to do longer spells as they know they’ll be sat back down in 15 minutes.
PreviousNext