WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Posted by Wigg'n on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:58 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 80

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6079
It’s a long season, we will no doubt try out different combinations and see what works best. I have faith in Tomkins at 6, his broken play running doesn’t seem to be what it was from FB but he’s still one of our best players and getting him on the ball more should work well. I’m guessing we will continue to play split halves with Williams staying on the left and Tomkins on the right as Tomkins’ left to right passing is a lot better.
Posted by fleabag on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 849
Location: Rochdale
Is this correct of Sam going to number 6 or is it just wishful thinking ? I have always thought he was wasted at FB and more so when he lost his pace. Making a break in the halves is much closer to the opposition's try line than all the way from a FB's positioning. Plus his 'organising' as he can read a game, would be better utilised in an half back position.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Posted by Wigg'n on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:02 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 80

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6079
fleabag wrote:
Is this correct of Sam going to number 6 or is it just wishful thinking ? I have always thought he was wasted at FB and more so when he lost his pace. Making a break in the halves is much closer to the opposition's try line than all the way from a FB's positioning. Plus his 'organising' as he can read a game, would be better utilised in an half back position.


I think it’s likely with the comments on McIlorum’s departure of “we have 2 good hookers in Leuluai and Powell plus Ganson”.

Plus if we go with Williams and Leuluai again we’ll probably be bottom 4.
Posted by Salty on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 pm
Salty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 2551
Location: the quiet west stand
If Williams plays scrum half with Sam at stand off, then I’d expect them to be the England half backs against New Zealand at the end of the season.
Posted by hengirl on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 pm
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am
Posts: 353
Gut feeling Sam will still be FB come seasons start..we shall see though.
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22003
Location: WIGAN
hengirl wrote:
Gut feeling Sam will still be FB come seasons start..we shall see though.



Mine also.

Him coming out and staying he wants to stay there is a pretty big indicator for me and Wane has spoken quite a bit about Escare maybe being used either at six or from the bench.
Posted by thepimp007 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 432

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am
Posts: 1442
NickyKiss wrote:
Mine also.

Him coming out and staying he wants to stay there is a pretty big indicator for me and Wane has spoken quite a bit about Escare maybe being used either at six or from the bench.


Interesting comments from Sam is that. Got to admit when him and Eastmond were paired together as young kids they frightened the Aussies 10 fold and we thought we had a pairing for years to come. I was a very big advocate of what Sam actually produced down under, his time has been wrongly in my opinion scrutinised by idiot fans who dont warch rugby but hate wigan, and really feel a team as unpredictable as the Warriors were the worst option for him given their lack of structure.

What I am getting at is trying to say this isn't a trolling attempt with what I am about to say next, when he came back from injury in the games I saw he seemed to take a long while to have any contact in the tackle (obviously coming back from an injury there were rumours would end his career won't help), but is that an attempt to keep himself out of the firing line knowing you have wingers who work so hard for the team he can drop the ball onto?
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 12952
thepimp007 wrote:
Interesting comments from Sam is that. Got to admit when him and Eastmond were paired together as young kids they frightened the Aussies 10 fold and we thought we had a pairing for years to come. I was a very big advocate of what Sam actually produced down under, his time has been wrongly in my opinion scrutinised by idiot fans who dont warch rugby but hate wigan, and really feel a team as unpredictable as the Warriors were the worst option for him given their lack of structure.

What I am getting at is trying to say this isn't a trolling attempt with what I am about to say next, when he came back from injury in the games I saw he seemed to take a long while to have any contact in the tackle (obviously coming back from an injury there were rumours would end his career won't help), but is that an attempt to keep himself out of the firing line knowing you have wingers who work so hard for the team he can drop the ball onto?

Assuming you are referring to kick returns, he was already doing that before he went to NZ. I think it's probably because:

A - Given his size, he is less likely to win the collision and get a quick PTB to start the set off well
B - In that situation, the opposition know he won't pass, and there won't be gaps for him to step through, so they basically get a free shot at one our best players if he returns the ball. If they give a penalty away, who cares? It's deep in our half, worth it to intimidate him.

I get why it annoys people, but I think it's the right call, use players to their strengths.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1261
Location: God's little acre
hengirl wrote:
Gut feeling Sam will still be FB come seasons start..we shall see though.

I think that you may be correct although personally I would love to see ST at 6 as he has for me a natural RL brain and we need someone in the middle with that capability because SOL is likely to be off the pitch more than he is on it and without someone like him on the pitch for 80 minutes we are truly useless.

I have never seen Escare play 6 so I cannot comment on his capabilities with ball in hand however, I think he his capable of having a good kicking game so this maybe part of the thinking of playing him at 6.

My worry is that we may have Powell & Williams in the halves or god forbid Williams & TL as per last season.
Posted by Pieman on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 2619
Location: Atherton
MM leaving weakens the tackling strength in the middle as we saw last year so much. Everyone moaning about him and SOL going off at the same time but now people dont seem to be bothered about it...weird
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apollosghost, Bigredwarrior, dr_feelgood, JWarriors, MadDogg, Sweaty Betty's, Ziggy Stardust and 88 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,761,16985176,9564,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 19th Jul 10:50
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
CANTERBURY
Thu 19th Jul 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 20th Jul 09:00
NRL
CRONULLA
v
CANBERRA
Fri 20th Jul 10:50
NRL
BRISBANE
v
PENRITH
Fri 20th Jul 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
CASTLEFORD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 20th Jul 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 20th Jul 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIDNES VIKINGS
Sat 21st Jul 06:00
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 21st Jul 08:30
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
SOUTHS
Sat 21st Jul 10:30
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
ST GEORGE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)