Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,797

Quiz Score: 0

NickyKiss wrote:
As an 80 minute hooker Powell is a good player but as seen last year, he’s nowhere near as effective when he does short spells.

If Tommy is going to hooker next year then that will continue so I wouldn’t expect too much from him again.

It's possible that Powell would do better when starting games rather than coming off the bench, so I'd hope it's Leuluai who is the bench player. In theory it shouldn't make too much of a difference (except for 9's who run with the ball) but I guess it's no different to football. Some players were excellent brought off the bench while others ineffective despite being good players.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,797

Powell just doesn’t have any traits that suit being a bench hooker. All his best qualities make him an ideal 80 minute hooker. He’s fit as a fiddle, defensively superb, has a pretty low error count and is relentless. When you half his game time the lad just doesn’t have the attributes to stand out IMO. I’d liken his style to that of Danny Houghton and whilst he’s not as good, they both wouldn’t be half the player if played as a regular bench hooker.

If the plan isn’t to play Powell for a minimum of 65/70 mins every week then I wouldn’t have him on the bench and would rather use the spot to either play an extra forward or givelads like Ganson or Shorrocks a shot.
Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm
Posted by That Mon on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm
That Mon User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 76,797

NickyKiss wrote:
Powell just doesn’t have any traits that suit being a bench hooker. All his best qualities make him an ideal 80 minute hooker. He’s fit as a fiddle, defensively superb, has a pretty low error count and is relentless. When you half his game time the lad just doesn’t have the attributes to stand out IMO. I’d liken his style to that of Danny Houghton and whilst he’s not as good, they both wouldn’t be half the player if played as a regular bench hooker.

If the plan isn’t to play Powell for a minimum of 65/70 mins every week then I wouldn’t have him on the bench and would rather use the spot to either play an extra forward or givelads like Ganson or Shorrocks a shot.

Saved my fingers some work spot on.
Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Posted by Pemps on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Pemps User avatar
100% League Network Sponsor

Rumour on another forum, from a usually reliable source, is we've signed Joe Greenwood from Gold Coast
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing
Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm
Posted by jonh on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,797

I hope the Greenwood rumour is true but I can’t see it.

He has been quite vocal in the press over the last week discussing his fight for a starting spot at the Titans and how much he is looking forward to the new season after his first NRL offseason.

I would think given the club clearly knew that MM & Gelling were on their way for some time, if we had been making room for Greenwood the Titans media team wouldn’t be wheeling him out for interviews.

Just my opinion, could be way off the mark.

He is the type of player we need. Young, natural size, athleticism and the type of player we could build a team around. It could also mean we could stick some weight on Joel and move him permanently into the frontrow. I think Joel has the potential to be an Andy Coley type Prop with a bit of patience, which would be a good asset to the squad.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,797

jonh wrote:

He has been quite vocal in the press over the last week discussing his fight for a starting spot at the Titans and how much he is looking forward to the new season after his first NRL offseason.

I would think given the club clearly knew that MM & Gelling were on their way for some time, if we had been making room for Greenwood the Titans media team wouldn’t be wheeling him out for interviews.

He is the type of player we need. Young, natural size, athleticism and the type of player we could build a team around. It could also mean we could stick some weight on Joel and move him permanently into the frontrow. I think Joel has the potential to be an Andy Coley type Prop with a bit of patience, which would be a good asset to the squad.

Like yourself I would like Greenwood in the squad but your logic on why it is an unlikely outcome seems pretty sound to me.

Not sure about JT at prop. Personally if he is finally over his injuries I would leave him the 2nd row and put Bateman at centre which isn't ideal but Bateman is infinitely better defender than Sarginson and if we could link up ST with Bateman then a right hand side of ST,JT & Bateman is pretty solid if unspectacular.
Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm
Posted by Ashton Bears on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm
Ashton Bears User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

jonh wrote:

Would St Helens have first choice to Greenwood seemingly as he left St Helens.
Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Posted by Pemps on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Pemps User avatar

Ashton Bears wrote:
Would St Helens have first choice to Greenwood seemingly as he left St Helens.

Only if he left them mid contract and they put that clause into any contract.
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing
Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:19 am
Posted by The Eclipse on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:19 am
The Eclipse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,797

Maybe this Greenwood rumour has legs given FPN has apparently agreed to return to Australia. I'd assume that Wigan would only release him once a replacement was signed.
What I lost was an ocean now I'm rowing right behind you.
Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 am
Posted by Grimmy on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,797

Quiz Score: 168

The Eclipse wrote:
Maybe this Greenwood rumour has legs given FPN has apparently agreed to return to Australia. I'd assume that Wigan would only release him once a replacement was signed.

Where has that come from? FPN was definitely in the photos from pre season training
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
PreviousNext