Posted by Grimmy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:19 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 11th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 28

Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Unless they've changed the salary cap rules, a "pay as you play deal" isn't in Wigan's interests. Each player has a salary cap value for the season at the start, so if the rumour was true Wigan would have to use up cap space as if Hock played every game. No club would do a pay as you play deal.

Exactly, seriously doubt IL would have him back anyway given his comments when he left. I'd rather give the gametime to Hamlin, Wells etc. Granted, Hock is the better player, but at least they will be committed to the cause and less likely to get banned/bring the club into disrepute.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
I personally think looking at his style of play he will play at 13 when Lockers has his inevitable patches on the sideline, with a view to having a look at him as his successor.

He looks to have decent hands, good feet aggressive defence and late pass at the line.

I would be stunned if we had brought him over here to play Prop regularly.

13 would be better I agree.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 pm
Posted by Azul on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 pm
Azul Stevo's Armpit

ChrisA wrote:
I'd be quite happy with Hock on a 1 year deal.

If it is a choice between our current lot or our current lot + Hock on a pay as you play type contract then I’m all for it too.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm
Posted by RichieS on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm
RichieS User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Grimmy wrote:
Exactly, seriously doubt IL would have him back anyway given his comments when he left. I'd rather give the gametime to Hamlin, Wells etc. Granted, Hock is the better player, but at least they will be committed to the cause and less likely to get banned/bring the club into disrepute.

Extremely harsh to say that. Yes in the past he has never covered himself in glory but I do believe with his maturity has come a desire to show the RL world what he is actually capable of. Could be a masterstroke at prop forward!
MusclePharm Brand Manager
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Azul wrote:
If it is a choice between our current lot or our current lot + Hock on a pay as you play type contract then I’m all for it too.

I don’t know the ins and outs of pay as you play contract issues so not sure how that works. What I would say is that if he’s got his head screwed on, he could be a real asset for a year. I’d be fearful of his commitment and professionalism though and wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if his attitude was all wrong and he let us down again.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

RichieS wrote:
Extremely harsh to say that. Yes in the past he has never covered himself in glory but I do believe with his maturity has come a desire to show the RL world what he is actually capable of. Could be a masterstroke at prop forward!

Hock is a liability on and off the field. Id be disgusted if we gave him yet another chance.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm
Posted by tank123 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm
tank123 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
Our smallest first choice prop (Flower) is probably our best as well. I'm not saying there is no correlation between size and being a good prop, but it's not strong enough to worry me. I think the position has changed massively as well, whether we like it or not, they need to be fit and mobile or they get exploited defensively. You have also sidestepped the fact he's a 20 year old reserve as well, probably 3-5 years off being expected to be first choice, and 8-10 years off his peak. That is plenty time for him to bulk up.

Good post on the size issue. It has changed PTB speed of Flower is great when he is paying well. Too many get hung up on a prop making 4-5 yards extra but usually they have 3 tacklers controlling the tackle. Which gives defences a second to get back.

Feka the prime example fan favourite but was lucky to be in the 2010 GF side due to defence not been to Madge's standards. Great going forward but defence was poor. We need all types of props. Even Paul Gallen played prop for NSW. Not the biggest.

I like the combination of Clubb and Flower together we need 2 more props to compliment each others styles. Your right the game has changed and mobility if very important.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

tank123 wrote:
Good post on the size issue. It has changed PTB speed of Flower is great when he is paying well. Too many get hung up on a prop making 4-5 yards extra but usually they have 3 tacklers controlling the tackle. Which gives defences a second to get back.

Feka the prime example fan favourite but was lucky to be in the 2010 GF side due to defence not been to Madge's standards. Great going forward but defence was poor. We need all types of props. Even Paul Gallen played prop for NSW. Not the biggest.

I like the combination of Clubb and Flower together we need 2 more props to compliment each others styles. Your right the game has changed and mobility if very important.

You can have props who are big and trouble defences and are good in defence and have PTB. Look at who are the top props/formards in RL, and ask yourself, are they 'small'?

Here's a few for you, all of which around 6'4, 17/18 stone

Aaron Woods
Jesse Bromwich
Andrew Fifita
Sam Burgess (albeit a 13 as well)
Jason Taumalolo (again plays 13
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 am
Posted by tank123 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 am
tank123 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
You can have props who are big and trouble defences and are good in defence and have PTB. Look at who are the top props/formards in RL, and ask yourself, are they 'small'?

Here's a few for you, all of which around 6'4, 17/18 stone

Aaron Woods
Jesse Bromwich
Andrew Fifita
Sam Burgess (albeit a 13 as well)
Jason Taumalolo (again plays 13

Ask yourself this are any in SL. SL have no world class props in any team now.

But for us we do not need any props we have no idea how to use them. If we had the top 4 on your list their attack yards would collapse under Wane.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:56 am
Posted by Grimmy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:56 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 11th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 28

RichieS wrote:

Maturity? I think we must be talking about different players.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
PreviousNext