WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Posted by Trainman on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

When I think back to last season we started really well, we were strong defensively and fluid in attack. Once the injuries kicked in I don’t know if Wane changed the game plan to compensate, whether we lost confidence or it was just the numbers missing but we never got that form back.

I don’t know whether to fear the worst for this year or to be cautiously optimistic. I’m genuinely intrigued to see how the team plays.
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rogues Gallery wrote:
And four of England's to five metre makers are Jermaine McGillvary, Ryan Hall, John Bateman and Kallum Watkins

It is really exhilarating to watch and is the only way to play :shock:
Don't know about anyone else but after 20 minutes of the Lebanon game I had effectively stopped watching as it was pretty painful to watch.
Coaches are absolutely killing the game
Posted by [Gareth] on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Don't know about anyone else but after 20 minutes of the Lebanon game I had effectively stopped watching as it was pretty painful to watch.

I haven't watched ANY of the world cup yet, I have just lost total interest in the game over the last 12/18 months due to the boring turgid nature of our play
www.camfaf.com
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein"

"This song is for all you people in the back, its called 'Hard To See'"
Ivan Moody, 5FDP, Reading Festival 2016
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Itchy Arsenal wrote:

And yet, the worst game of rugby league is still more exciting to watch than any game of football or union.

I enjoyed the England v Australia game and the Ireland v Italy game. I've also enjoyed the games involving Fiji, Tonga and PNG. Can't wait for the NZ v Tonga game this weekend.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Posted by MadDogg on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

[Gareth] wrote:
Itchy Arsenal wrote:

I haven't watched ANY of the world cup yet, I have just lost total interest in the game over the last 12/18 months due to the boring turgid nature of our play

Yet you're still posting on a rugby league forum? Why bother if you've no interest at the moment?

I agree with the last poster - the England v Australia game was good and the games involving Pacific Island nations have been entertaining. There's obviously some really poor teams in there - Wales, USA, Scotland, Lebanon. Would have expected a bit more from France as well but I wish they could get a full side out there for once - put Escare, Duport, Casty and Springer in there and it would help them out a lot.

As for Tomkins, wherever he plays I'm quite hopeful that he'll have a much better year in 2018 if he gets through a full pre-season unscathed.
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Trainman wrote:
When I think back to last season we started really well, we were strong defensively and fluid in attack. Once the injuries kicked in I don’t know if Wane changed the game plan to compensate, whether we lost confidence or it was just the numbers missing but we never got that form back.

I don’t know whether to fear the worst for this year or to be cautiously optimistic. I’m genuinely intrigued to see how the team plays.

We played well on the opening day at Salford (a Salford team who after that day up until the super 8's would go on and have a top season) and put in a huge performance against Cronulla then it went west.

I think a combination of the effects of the Cronulla game and some injuries killed the bit of momentum we had a few weeks after Cronulla and it never got going again. We may have to deal with a similar energy sapper (both physically and mentally) next season with us travelling down under. Once the bright lights, beaches and sunshine haze has faded, I just hope the players have it in them to switch on for games against Wakefield, Huddersfield, Widnes etc in the cold of England. They seemed to find it very difficult to raise themselves at times last year and they can't let that happen again.
Posted by moto748 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I watched Part 1 of the season review on Wigan TV last night, and it struck me, we actually were playing some decent stuff at the start of the season! Even FPN looked like he could be arsed for a few games.
Posted by Grimmy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Maybe he isn't completely stuck in his ways after all. This sounds really promising to me that he appears to have acknowledged the issue and be willing to look at ways to solve it.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Nnibly_Warrior on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 pm
Nnibly_Warrior User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Grimmy wrote:
Maybe he isn't completely stuck in his ways after all. This sounds really promising to me that he appears to have acknowledged the issue and be willing to look at ways to solve it.

This fills me with hope for next season. If we can keep them all fit. Personally I am still quietly confident Sam will impress with a full pre-season. He's not had one now for what 4 years? Maybe more?

1. Escaré
6/7. Williams
6/7. Tomkins
9. Mickey/Leuluai

That looks pretty formidable to me, not forgetting about Powell and what will Shorrocks bring to the table? Is Tomkins' long kicking game strong enough for a starting half position? Lots of questions I'm looking forward to finding out the answers to.
Wigan Rugby Club, Best in all the Land
Marching On to Wembley and Singing with the Band
At Home We Are Unbeatable, Away We are Supreme
So Give Us a Cheer, The Lads are Here
The Wigan Rugby Team!!
Posted by Wigg'n on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

We basically just need to try every combination and go with the one that works best.

A few clubs have used halves off the bench recently with decent success so like Wane says Escaré off the bench could be interesting.
PreviousNext