WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Posted by Grimmy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13104
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
We certainly need another centre. There's no competition, we have really 2, Gelling and Gildart. Neither are world beaters to say the least. One is little more than a kid and the other has moment of excellence and moments of madness.

In light of Charnley, I'd sooner look to another ex Wigan player, Dan Sarg. He's a better FB than Escare and would increase competition for places in the centre.

Personally Ratchford is someone I've always wanted at Wigan, he'd still be a good signing for us, can play anywhere from 1-7 and fill in at 9.

But I agree, a 7 is a must. Personally, with no exaggeration, I honestly believe Tommy is the worse 7 in SL.

I reckon we have the best centre pairing in the league. Cover would be nice ideally because Forsyth and Higginson are both very inexperienced, but I'm more than happy with Gelling and Gildart as starters. Would be very surprised if we had the cap space to bring Sarg in, and again, not really a priority when we are crying out for a half back and prop.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3837
Grimmy wrote:
I reckon we have the best centre pairing in the league. Cover would be nice ideally because Forsyth and Higginson are both very inexperienced, but I'm more than happy with Gelling and Gildart as starters. Would be very surprised if we had the cap space to bring Sarg in, and again, not really a priority when we are crying out for a half back and prop.


My point of signing Ratch or Sarg does effect recruitment in the halves though and cover the centres, that's the point mate.

We do need a 7 I agree, but arguably we have more depth in the halves and defo in the props than in in the centres.

I can't agree about our centres, lots better out there. Plus, as you pointed out, there's no depth, we have 2 for 2 positions, which was my point.

Signing a Sarg or a Ratchford does impact on the the halves. Move either to FB and you free up Sam. Plus they off depth to cover weaker areas.
Posted by JWarriors on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 655
Last Son of Wigan wrote:

I can't agree about our centres, lots better out there. Plus, as you pointed out, there's no depth, we have 2 for 2 positions, which was my point.


We also have Forsyth, and Bateman is currently playing centre for England at the World Cup.

As starters, like Grimmy, I am more than happy with Gelling and Gildart. Gelling had a poor year overall, but still has the capacity to be a good player. Gildart is class already and is only improving.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3837
JWarriors wrote:
We also have Forsyth, and Bateman is currently playing centre for England at the World Cup.

As starters, like Grimmy, I am more than happy with Gelling and Gildart. Gelling had a poor year overall, but still has the capacity to be a good player. Gildart is class already and is only improving.


Bateman isn't competing for a centre spot, he doesn't add competition for places in the centres. He's a starting SR.

There's no depth there. Ratchford or Sarg would add a player who could add genuine depth and cover a number of positions to a good standard.
Posted by JWarriors on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 pm
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 655
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Bateman isn't competing for a centre spot, he doesn't add competition for places in the centres. He's a starting SR.

There's no depth there. Ratchford or Sarg would add a player who could add genuine depth and cover a number of positions to a good standard.


Agreed, but Im definitely bored of us re-signing players. Thats why I wouldn't want to get Sarge, Charnley or any other of our previous players (barring Blake Green), as I want to see new faces in the team.
Posted by Ashton Bears on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm
Ashton Bears User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 1044
Location: Around the three Sisters
JWarriors wrote:
Agreed, but Im definitely bored of us re-signing players. Thats why I wouldn't want to get Sarge, Charnley or any other of our previous players (barring Blake Green), as I want to see new faces in the team.


Well said totally agree.
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 am
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 4828
We’ve got a 7 already - Tomkins.

Escare to be given the #1 jersey, Tomkins up to 7 and TL ushered out as a utility man to cover HB’s or hooker.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895


AshtonBearsARLFC
Posted by Pieman on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Atherton
think it will be the same other wise the club will have admitted they have made a mistake in recruitment
Posted by RichieS on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm
RichieS User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 am
Posts: 302
Going to some annoyed folk on here come new kit/squad numbers time...

1 Sam T, 6 Williams, 7 Tommy L and 9 Micky Mc

There will be no wholesale changes...
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1845
RichieS wrote:
Going to some annoyed folk on here come new kit/squad numbers time...

1 Sam T, 6 Williams, 7 Tommy L and 9 Micky Mc

There will be no wholesale changes...


If there’s anything we’ve learned over the last few years it’s that the numbers are largely irrelevant. Players get hurt, another number plays the position. I’ll not lose any sleep over squad numbers.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA, CobraCraig, Google Adsense [Bot], hatty, jaws1, Levrier, S_Riley and 135 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,808,7581,24377,2584,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TOMORROW 19:45
NZ
ENGLAND
v
FRANCE
Sat 27th Oct 14:30
NZ
ENGLAND
v
NEW ZEALAND
Sun 4th Nov 14:30
NZ
ENGLAND
v
NEW ZEALAND
Sun 11th Nov 15:15
NZ
ENGLAND
v
NEW ZEALAND
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)