WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Bateman interview
Re: Bateman interview
Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm
Posted by WiganBurt on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm
WiganBurt User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

JWarriors wrote:
Forsyth would mean 2. But whether he is first choice standard is another thing.

if the club is willing to offload the likes of two of our better players, especially at good ages with improvement still in them, while not bringing in anyone you have to start to question what IL and the club is doing...

in my opinion, I don't think Bateman or gells will go, at least not for 2018 anyway. but id practically demand replacements with immediate effect.
Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bateman is destined for the NRL and we’ve known that for a long time. He’s a player firmly sitting at the world class table and would go very well in the NRL.

I don’t think this should come as a huge surprise, disappointing yes but I wouldn’t begrudge him going to the NRL. He’s been of fantastic service to Wigan and I’d wish him all the best
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am
Posted by Quickening on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am
Quickening Stevo's Armpit

100% Warrior wrote:
Bateman is destined for the NRL and we’ve known that for a long time. He’s a player firmly sitting at the world class table and would go very well in the NRL.

I don’t think this should come as a huge surprise, disappointing yes but I wouldn’t begrudge him going to the NRL. He’s been of fantastic service to Wigan and I’d wish him all the best

World class? Really?

He performs well in super league, but I think he lacks a bit of size/skill to shine in the NRL.

But would be interesting to see how we would perform in a far stronger league.
Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 pm
Posted by karetaker on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 pm
karetaker User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

100% Warrior wrote:

Can I have a pint of that please, ok yes but not world class. If he ever learns to pass a ball then maybe.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 am
Posted by apollosghost on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 am
apollosghost Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Hopefully Bennett will keep picking him at centre because he's nowhere near good enough in that position to get a game in the NRL.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 am
Posted by Pieman on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 am
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

100% Warrior wrote:

hes not the best second row or centre in the england team.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:46 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:46 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Pieman wrote:
hes not the best second row or centre in the england team.

I don’t think there’s a better or more effective second rower than Bateman in the English squad, particularly in defence. Currie is a cracking player but I prefer Bateman at the moment. I’ve not been impressed by Whitehead at all so far.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I don’t think there’s a better or more effective second rower than Bateman in the English squad, particularly in defence. Currie is a cracking player but I prefer Bateman at the moment. I’ve not been impressed by Whitehead at all so far.

If Whitehead and Hodgson are NRL stars then Bateman should rip it to pieces!

Both are decidedly average in an England shirt. In attack Whitehead isn't bringing anything. I've yet to see him punch a hole in a team in this World Cup. He's been solid defensively but I'd expect more from a supposed star of the NRL.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:27 pm
Posted by jonh on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:27 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
If Whitehead and Hodgson are NRL stars then Bateman should rip it to pieces!

Both are decidedly average in an England shirt. In attack Whitehead isn't bringing anything. I've yet to see him punch a hole in a team in this World Cup. He's been solid defensively but I'd expect more from a supposed star of the NRL.

Not sure if you watch the NRL but I think it isn’t a coincidence that both play for Canberra who play a very expansive off the cuff style.

It isn’t a particularly successful style for the NRL but it is great to watch and both the English lads are great in that system.

England play like Wigan slow methodical uninspiring stuff. You are never going to see the best in these quality players in that system.

As for Bateman, great SL player. Would be totally out of his depth in the NRL due to his physical limitations.

Can’t blame him for having NRL aspirations however I don’t think they would be long lived and he would soon be back.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 am
Posted by Bulls Boy 2011 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 am
Bulls Boy 2011 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I do find it quite interesting all the comments regarding Bateman's lack of size. At my former amateur club he was a year older than me, however he played in the age above due to a lack of team at his own age. Was the best player in that team at 16 years old. And anyone knows the difference in physicality between 16 and 18 year olds is huge.

The point I am trying to make is that he has always punched above his weight. All through his career. He will do so in the NRL too. Whitehead isn't that big. Yet has is a big success over there. Bateman will hold his own and be one of the best back rowers in the NRL. He's also a very hard man too, so he'll back himself when things get tough which it inevitably will.

The only thing that will possibly stop him from making the move (and it has already) is whether he'll move with his little girl and the situation around that.
BULLSBOY2011:
'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'

Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)
PreviousNext