FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Leeds Rhinos - Huddersfield Giants LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Latest
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 6 - 0 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Makinson Try, Percival Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : Wigan Warriors 4 - 0 Castleford Tigers LIVE ON SKY SPORTS French Try
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - End of an Era
RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 21 20149 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 19:1715th Oct 23 16:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.

Re: End of an Era : Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:35 pm  
I don't expect any offers for our players,Duggs,as most of the youngsters are on 2/3 years contracts.
They've done very well,given the background situation,as you point out.

Ian Swire has paid until the end of the season and I believe contracts end/start in November.

There is more positive news from John Whaling this morning - now shown on the website.

I disagree with you about dropping into League 1.Remaining in The Championship will give a far better opportunity,and scope,to entice new investment.

The new stadium and the opportunities it offers,are also well-timed.
RankPostsTeam
International Star713
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 16 201014 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Mar 24 14:3621st Jun 23 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of an Era : Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 am  
Quote from the Eagles website:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
EAGLES OPTIMISTIC OVER NEW STADIUM & FUTURE
By Matt Young | 14/06/2016
Sheffield Eagles are still on course to move to their new stadium at the Olympic Legacy Park next season, despite chairman Ian Swire’s decision to move on after 17 years.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Angelic Cynic,

Firstly to say I'd like to see the Eagles going well, having worked in the city for longer than I care to remember.

However having past the "Olympic Legacy Park" site yesterday I don't see any evidence of of the stadium being built, but then I have been accused of being blinkered and short sighted in the passed :)

If this is truly the case (that the new stadium hasn't been started), then I don't see how it is realistic for it to be in place in the next 8 months for a start of the 2017 season come February 2017. Is there more details elsewhere that is not on the Eagles website detailing the progress of the new stadium?
RankPostsTeam
International Star80
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 18 09:396th Oct 16 19:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of an Era : Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:30 pm  
I am relying on my memory here but am at an age where memory can play tricks on me so if I have this wrong then I apologise.

When the club was reformed in 1999, I think it was envisaged that the Articles of Association would specify that no one person could own more than 15% of the club's shares. This was, if I have this right, to avoid a majority shareholder running the club his/her way. What happened there then?

Also, was nothing learned from the Featherstone Rovers fiasco of a few years ago when the person who was bankrolling the club pulled out? Did we have a Plan B ready in case Plan A fell through?

Like FevGrinder I pass the site of the proposed new ground quite frequently and see very little activity so I have reservations about the new stadium. I take anything Richard Caborn says about when it will be ready with a huge pinch of salt. I look forward to being proved wrong.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 21 20149 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: End of an Era : Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm  
Fev Grinder,
Thanks for expressing the wish that you would like us to do well.

You may not have seen the area set aside for the development because you have not had the opportunity to get inside the club office at the UTC.You can visit there to purchase a replica shirt as worn by the team at the Summer Bash.

There is also some very snazzy white plastic exterior around the site which shows both basketball and rugby league players and the club crest.

It looks like March 2017 is when it will be up and running.Possibly with hired seating being necessay, to this time run along the side of the pitch.

It may mean playing the first few games away from home.

It is probably best to follow the Olympic Legacy Park Twitter account.Club communication is a little distant from perfect;but they may be relying on the former Labour MP.

https://twitter.com/olpsheffield

http://olympiclegacypark.co.uk/about/ol ... nity-pitch

Grey Beard,

I don't think the investor (previous investor) was a shareholder.The board seemed content to allow him to contribute over the years.

It seems planning ahead may have been overlooked while all eyes were on the new stadium.

Please excuse me while I return to my previous state of Weltschmerz until I attend Sale to see how we get on v Swinton.

Not been a very good few days. :|
Fev Grinder,

You may not have seen the area set aside for the development because you have not had the opportunity to get inside the club office at the UTC.You can visit there to purchase a replica shirt as worn by the team at the Summer Bash.

There is also some very snazzy white plastic exterior around the site which shows both basketball and rugby league players and the club crest.

It looks like March 2017 is when it will be up and running.Possibly with hired seating being necessay, to this time run along the side of the pitch.

It is probably best to follow the Olympic Legacy Park Twitter account.Club communication is a little distant from perfect;but they may be relying on the former Labour MP.

Grey Beard,

I don't think the investor (previous investor) was a shareholder.The board seemed content to allow him to contribute over the years.

It seems planning ahead may have been overlooked while all eyes were on the new stadium.

Please excuse me while I return to my previous state of Weltschmerz until I attend Sale to see how we get on v Swinton.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Oct 23 16:0827th Aug 19 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!

Re: End of an Era : Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:20 pm  
Angelic Cynic wrote:
Grey Beard,

Yes, he was a shareholder. The Articles were changed. Always an option, of course. Nothing's for ever, is it ?
RankPostsTeam
International Star80
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 18 09:396th Oct 16 19:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of an Era : Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 pm  
I think death and taxes are forever lol. I do not recall it being announced anywhere that the Articles were changed but have to admit that keeping up with the Eagles has been somewhat difficult for me those past 3 years or so.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Oct 23 16:0827th Aug 19 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!

Re: End of an Era : Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:26 pm  
Grey Beard wrote:
I think death and taxes are forever lol. I do not recall it being announced anywhere that the Articles were changed but have to admit that keeping up with the Eagles has been somewhat difficult for me those past 3 years or so.

They just have to "announce" it at Companies House. No need to do so anywhere else. And, to be fair, few folk are interested anyway.
RankPostsTeam
International Star713
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 16 201014 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Mar 24 14:3621st Jun 23 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of an Era : Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 am  
Angelic Cynic wrote:
Fev Grinder,

Grey Beard,

Hi AC,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I have seen the "very snazzy white plastic exterior" around the site and looked into the site from various angles while walking, driving and riding the tram, which was the prompt for me to state that "I don't see any evidence of of the stadium being built".

I had been impressed with the initial proposal of a 10k stadium, which was later reduced to 5k with the ability to extend in the future. However I see now from the link you posted above and having done various searches the Olympic Legacy Park are now talking about Community Pitch to be used by Sheffield Eagles as well as other organisations.

If this does become a similar site to what you have at SHU Sports Park with temporary stands, etc. so as to get you in for the 2017 season, I hope it is only for a short period since it would be good to have the Eagles at their own venue back in the city with their very own stadium. I just hope that Sheffield Eagles can develop this over time and that this does not become a missed opportunity.

As for the replica shirt, I already have too many Fev ones so will give it a miss :)

Good luck for the rest of the season (24th June apart for obvious reasons :) )
Angelic Cynic wrote:
Fev Grinder,

Grey Beard,

Hi AC,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I have seen the "very snazzy white plastic exterior" around the site and looked into the site from various angles while walking, driving and riding the tram, which was the prompt for me to state that "I don't see any evidence of of the stadium being built".

I had been impressed with the initial proposal of a 10k stadium, which was later reduced to 5k with the ability to extend in the future. However I see now from the link you posted above and having done various searches the Olympic Legacy Park are now talking about Community Pitch to be used by Sheffield Eagles as well as other organisations.

If this does become a similar site to what you have at SHU Sports Park with temporary stands, etc. so as to get you in for the 2017 season, I hope it is only for a short period since it would be good to have the Eagles at their own venue back in the city with their very own stadium. I just hope that Sheffield Eagles can develop this over time and that this does not become a missed opportunity.

As for the replica shirt, I already have too many Fev ones so will give it a miss :)

Good luck for the rest of the season (24th June apart for obvious reasons :) )
RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 21 20149 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: End of an Era : Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:07 pm  
FevGrinder wrote:
I just hope that Sheffield Eagles can develop this over time and that this does not become a missed opportunity.

Mmmm.Pity about the replica shirt.Our merchandise sales must be at an all time low,this year.Slight problem.

The realisation about the lack of succession planning has come with impeccable timing.

Losing both a chairman and an investor,just as the club is to move to their permanent new home,is a bit unusual.

I have no idea who the club is involved in dialogue with about investment and the stadium,but being an admirer of the female gender,due to their time-management,good housekeeping,forward-planning etc.I hope it includes the people who have been employed on the site.
This Lot

A chance for investment and construction and a lot of intelligent,qualified ladies to take on the chairperson role while Mark Aston does everything else.It doesn't have to be a full-time role or be at the club 24/7.

http://www.henrybootconstruction.co.uk/news/may/7627-2/

I also hope it doesn't become a missed opportunity.Still,no news is good news.

Quite looking forward to next Friday.Hoping confidence has returned and we won't need any luck. :PRAY: :THINK:
FevGrinder wrote:
I just hope that Sheffield Eagles can develop this over time and that this does not become a missed opportunity.

Mmmm.Pity about the replica shirt.Our merchandise sales must be at an all time low,this year.Slight problem.

The realisation about the lack of succession planning has come with impeccable timing.

Losing both a chairman and an investor,just as the club is to move to their permanent new home,is a bit unusual.

I have no idea who the club is involved in dialogue with about investment and the stadium,but being an admirer of the female gender,due to their time-management,good housekeeping,forward-planning etc.I hope it includes the people who have been employed on the site.
This Lot

A chance for investment and construction and a lot of intelligent,qualified ladies to take on the chairperson role while Mark Aston does everything else.It doesn't have to be a full-time role or be at the club 24/7.

http://www.henrybootconstruction.co.uk/news/may/7627-2/

I also hope it doesn't become a missed opportunity.Still,no news is good news.

Quite looking forward to next Friday.Hoping confidence has returned and we won't need any luck. :PRAY: :THINK:
Previous