FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League Live - follow up??
::Here you can discuss any Rugby League games, whether video games, board games, or online.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:29 pm  
forever_trinity wrote:
It will be a long time I reckon, this one was again poor....

The company that developed all the 09 series of EA sports games releases Rugby World Cup this year and from what Ive seen it looks incredible runs on the fifa 11 engine. League games will never be that good as theres a lot involved and not enough selling points as its only ever going to really sell in england and australia.

Agreed. Rugby League Live is very poor. Especially for the price.
JonB95 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1884No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 201113 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jun 23 16:2510th Jul 22 07:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 pm  
I don't think its that bad, quite enjoyable, but certainly lacks depth
Him 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:39 pm  
JonB95 wrote:
I don't think its that bad, quite enjoyable, but certainly lacks depth

I honestly thought it was really bad.
Poor and confusing menu systems (including being probably the only PS3 game to use X to advance and O to go back instead of the other way round)

Utterly terrible player likeness

Poor player stats system

Poor player movements (they all move the same regardless of whether it's Rob Burrow or Eorl Crabtree)

No ability to customise teams (other than a completely new team) or players

Too many glitches like players sometimes missing heads and inaccuracies like what stadiums the 4 Nations was played at.

But all of that pales into insignificance when compared to the utterly terrible gameplay:
No benefit to hitting the ball up
No benefit to having bigger players - speed is everything
Ridiculous situation where from a kick downfield all the team will be instantly behind the ball and ready for the next play the ball
No ability to get the ball across the line in any kind of realistic manner
No ability to catch the AI offside or not square at marker
Easy setting is stupidly easy, medium is just plain daft - AI props who can suddenly catch wingers etc
Advantage system is unrealistic
Defending is poor and boring ie just stay out of the way and let the AI do it
Grubbers and high kicks look unrealistic
Stupid situation where you can make a long break and be running down the pitch unopposed with your entire team following at exactly the same pace just behind you in a line
The Video Ref looks terrible - like something a 12 year old would have designed
The commentary is awful
The interchange system is unrealistic

The biggest problem is that rugby league is all about attrition and grinding down the opposition by completing sets of 6, getting good kicks in and forcing drop outs to tire the opposition. This huge aspect of the sport is completely lacking from this very very poor game.

Sadly I'd go so far as to say it's the worst PS3 game I've ever bought or played and by quite a distance.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Dec 11 13:4920th Dec 11 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:24 pm  
Him wrote:
I honestly thought it was really bad.
Poor and confusing menu systems (including being probably the only PS3 game to use X to advance and O to go back instead of the other way round)

Great start. If you're going to review a game, get it right. Every game I have owned on the PS, PS2 and PS3 uses this combination of keys... Name ONE that doesn't?

Utterly terrible player likeness

A licensing issue, and frankly not important.

Poor player stats system

Maybe.

Poor player movements (they all move the same regardless of whether it's Rob Burrow or Eorl Crabtree)

Not true.

No ability to customise teams (other than a completely new team) or players

Yes, but again I'd question the importance of such a feature... All I've ever seen it used for is people making teams of max stat players to increase their chances of winning.

Too many glitches like players sometimes missing heads and inaccuracies like what stadiums the 4 Nations was played at.

Never seen any players missing heads. Seen a few glitches online due to lag, but nothing really unexpected.

But all of that pales into insignificance when compared to the utterly terrible gameplay:
No benefit to hitting the ball up

Quick play the ball isn't an advantage?

No benefit to having bigger players - speed is everything

Tackle breaks and offloads are very important and size/stat dependant. You've clearly not put much play time into it.

Ridiculous situation where from a kick downfield all the team will be instantly behind the ball and ready for the next play the ball

Yes, that's true.

No ability to get the ball across the line in any kind of realistic manner

You not used the cut-out pass options? Try combining running from dummy half with a pass. Plenty of options.

No ability to catch the AI offside or not square at marker

Again, not true. YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.

Easy setting is stupidly easy, medium is just plain daft - AI props who can suddenly catch wingers etc

Haven't played much on medium. Easy is terribly easy, the hardest setting is a good challenge where I don't always win, so that's where I stick, although I'm stacking a few games up on Easy to get the 300 wins trophy.

Advantage system is unrealistic

I'll let you have that one.

Defending is poor and boring ie just stay out of the way and let the AI do it

And that's why you won't ever win or achieve your 50 impact tackles trophy.

Grubbers and high kicks look unrealistic

How so?

Stupid situation where you can make a long break and be running down the pitch unopposed with your entire team following at exactly the same pace just behind you in a line

I'll let you have that one.

The Video Ref looks terrible - like something a 12 year old would have designed

TBH, I turned the Video Ref off after a few decisions. I know what the decision will be at the time of the incident, so watching a replay is pointless.

The commentary is awful

Not AWFUL per se, but annoyed with it calling players "Meninga" for no apparent reason.

The interchange system is unrealistic

In that players don't immediately take the field, maybe.

The biggest problem is that rugby league is all about attrition and grinding down the opposition by completing sets of 6, getting good kicks in and forcing drop outs to tire the opposition. This huge aspect of the sport is completely lacking from this very very poor game.

YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT. You need to play tactically, note where the full back is, kick into space, kick low if you must, the grubbers are very useful for forcing drop outs.

Sadly I'd go so far as to say it's the worst PS3 game I've ever bought or played and by quite a distance.

You haven't played the upcoming RU World Cup Demo yet then. Now THAT is awful. I think your problem is that you're just not very good at it, not that it's a bad game.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 pm  
Fishsta wrote:
Great start. If you're going to review a game, get it right. Every game I have owned on the PS, PS2 and PS3 uses this combination of keys... Name ONE that doesn't?

Odd, every single PS3 game I've bought uses O to advance and X to go back, except RL Live.

Fishsta wrote:
A licensing issue, and frankly not important.

Hmmm, well they had the licensing for RL 2 so is obviously a backward step. It is important for realism, of course it is don't be daft.

Fishsta wrote:
Maybe.

No maybe about it, the player stats are terrible and unrealistic in many cases.

Fishsta wrote:
Not true.

Really? Run down the field and tell me the players look any different other than player size etc

Fishsta wrote:
Yes, but again I'd question the importance of such a feature... All I've ever seen it used for is people making teams of max stat players to increase their chances of winning.

I think most people use it to update the squads so that after half a season it's not out of date. Or to correct some of the strange representative squads.

Fishsta wrote:
Never seen any players missing heads. Seen a few glitches online due to lag, but nothing really unexpected.

I've seen it in about 25% of games I've played.

Fishsta wrote:
Quick play the ball isn't an advantage?

Not when the AI cannot be caught offside or not square and so you get little advantage on the harder difficulties. Plus you can get quick ptb's from other than hitups anyway so theres still no benefit.

Fishsta wrote:
Tackle breaks and offloads are very important and size/stat dependant. You've clearly not put much play time into it.

And are also dependent upon speed into the collision, plus half the time offloads are merely intercepted by the AI opposition.
Anything else you want to tell me about what I've done without ever having met me? Or can we leave the pathetic arrogance aside, just for once eh.

Fishsta wrote:
You not used the cut-out pass options? Try combining running from dummy half with a pass. Plenty of options.

Of course I've used the cut-out options, its still not anything close to looking realistic with no dummy runners, out the back options or A ball options. It's merely a simple pass to the 2nd/3rd/4th player in the line instead of the 1st. And it often leads to unrealistic intercepts.

Fishsta wrote:
Again, not true. YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.
I've played over 70 games against the AI on differring difficulties and not once received a penalty for offside or not square at marker. It's easy to catch them offside with quick ptb's but never ever get a penalty.

Fishsta wrote:
And that's why you won't ever win or achieve your 50 impact tackles trophy.

I couldn't give a toss about trophies, I don't play games for trophies I generally play games to be entertained. In the case of RL Live I want to play a game that closely mirrors rugby league. Sadly RL Live fails miserably.

Fishsta wrote:
How so?

On both grubbers and high kicks the kicker is too quick to move forward and doesn't have their momentum affected by actually putting a kick in. In dome cases of grubbers this would acceptable but not every single one and certainly not for high kicks.

Fishsta wrote:
Not AWFUL per se, but annoyed with it calling players "Meninga" for no apparent reason.

I really do think it's awful in the new generation of games. It hasn't been improved since the original game and sounds stilted and unnatural.

Fishsta wrote:
In that players don't immediately take the field, maybe.

Maybe? It's wrong. Players are only interchanged during stops in play whereas in reality they are interchanged whenever the team has the ball.

Fishsta wrote:
YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT. You need to play tactically, note where the full back is, kick into space, kick low if you must, the grubbers are very useful for forcing drop outs.

I know how to play tactically thanks. I force plenty of drop outs and pressure the line. Yet in a game of rugby league that kind of pressure affects the defending team's stamina and fitness ie grinding them down. In Rugby League Live this does not happen. The entire essence of the sport is missing from the game.

Fishsta wrote:
You haven't played the upcoming RU World Cup Demo yet then. Now THAT is awful. I think your problem is that you're just not very good at it, not that it's a bad game.

How many times are you going to try and tell me things despite never having met me. I've played the game plenty, I've won it on every difficulty thanks. It still doesn't excuse the fact it's a terrible game. I can only deduce that either you are letting your arrogance affect your judgement and are still pissed off at being banned from the Leeds board, or you know sod all about rugby league. Because Rugby League Live does not come anything close to accurately representing a game of rugby league.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 08 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 11 18:2527th Aug 11 18:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 pm  
Him wrote:
Odd, every single PS3 game I've bought uses O to advance and X to go back, except RL Live.

No game I own uses that combination. What games do you have?

Hmmm, well they had the licensing for RL 2 so is obviously a backward step. It is important for realism, of course it is don't be daft.

Really? Run down the field and tell me the players look any different other than player size etc

I think most people use it to update the squads so that after half a season it's not out of date. Or to correct some of the strange representative squads.

I've never seen that happen. I think your PS3 is faulty.

Not when the AI cannot be caught offside or not square and so you get little advantage on the harder difficulties. Plus you can get quick ptb's from other than hitups anyway so theres still no benefit.

The AI can be caught offside.

And are also dependent upon speed into the collision, plus half the time offloads are merely intercepted by the AI opposition.

You're offloading at the wrong times. Just like real life, you can't expect to offload in every tackle.

Anything else you want to tell me about what I've done without ever having met me? Or can we leave the pathetic arrogance aside, just for once eh.

Of course I've used the cut-out options, its still not anything close to looking realistic with no dummy runners, out the back options or A ball options. It's merely a simple pass to the 2nd/3rd/4th player in the line instead of the 1st. And it often leads to unrealistic intercepts.

I've played over 70 games against the AI on differring difficulties and not once received a penalty for offside or not square at marker. It's easy to catch them offside with quick ptb's but never ever get a penalty.

It's not easy to get a penalty for offside, but certainly possible.

I couldn't give a toss about trophies, I don't play games for trophies I generally play games to be entertained. In the case of RL Live I want to play a game that closely mirrors rugby league. Sadly RL Live fails miserably.

Every sports game ever disappoints compared to the real thing. RL Live does a better job than any other sports games I've played, especially Madden and football games.

On both grubbers and high kicks the kicker is too quick to move forward and doesn't have their momentum affected by actually putting a kick in. In dome cases of grubbers this would acceptable but not every single one and certainly not for high kicks.

I really do think it's awful in the new generation of games. It hasn't been improved since the original game and sounds stilted and unnatural.

Maybe? It's wrong. Players are only interchanged during stops in play whereas in reality they are interchanged whenever the team has the ball.

I know how to play tactically thanks. I force plenty of drop outs and pressure the line. Yet in a game of rugby league that kind of pressure affects the defending team's stamina and fitness ie grinding them down. In Rugby League Live this does not happen. The entire essence of the sport is missing from the game.

But their stamina DOES grind down and they DO start missing tackles. It's more noticeable when you play long halves.

How many times are you going to try and tell me things despite never having met me. I've played the game plenty, I've won it on every difficulty thanks. It still doesn't excuse the fact it's a terrible game. I can only deduce that either you are letting your arrogance affect your judgement and are still pissed off at being banned from the Leeds board, or you know sod all about rugby league. Because Rugby League Live does not come anything close to accurately representing a game of rugby league.

Maybe it's because some of the things you've posted are outright not true. That and you've subverted the swear filter. I don't blame Fishsta one bit, he's got it bang on.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Dec 11 13:4920th Dec 11 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Rugby League Live - follow up?? : Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm  
Deary me, seem to have touched a nerve here.

Him wrote:

Then you won't have a problem naming one.

Clearly I put making a decent game higher on the list of priorities than you do.

You're right, according to the stats Leeds Rhinos are the best team in Super League. What an oversight!

Not sure what you're getting at here. Tell you they look any different other than "size etc". By etc, I take it you mean face, hair, skull cap, skin colour etc? Then yes, they all look different.

Again, I spend more time playing the game than tinkering.

0% of game I've played. Previous poster is right, your PS3 is faulty.

The AI CAN be caught offside or not square and DOES get penalised. I think this is like the X and O thing, it's patently NOT TRUE.

No they're not. Again, a blatant lie. First off, if you're playing to win then you should be respecting possession. Just like real life, you can't expect to throw an offload in every single tackle and retain possession. At the moment, because I've unlocked all the obvious unlocks (and some not so obvious unlocks), I'm trying to attain the platinum trophy, I think this may unlock more features, grounds or even teams. As part of that I need to perform 1,000 offloads. I aim to do this whilst racking up my 300 wins and 50 impact tackles. Whilst most offloads don't count because they go to ground (albeit backwards and recovered), not that many are intercepted. I'd estimate it's about 10% that get picked up by the opposition.

Oh, here we go, found out in the lies, here come the insults. I'd hazard a guess that you're a Leeds fan given the way you've blown up here.

Ever used the "dummy pass"? The player you throw the dummy to speeds up into the defensive line. You can actually dummy your first player along the line and then cut-out to the second, the first will run into the line. You can also do the reverse and then pass along behind him.

Then you're not doing it right. I've played probably a hundred games and managed to get offside against the AI on several occasions. It doesn't happen often, but then the AI doesn't TRY to give penalties away.

I try and attain trophies as a specific challenge when I've played a game to the point I'm satisfied I've mastered it. In that time I've certainly been entertained.

OK, I'll check that. The last time I played I'm sure the kicker "skips" into the kick and has to regain their pace again.

But again, commentary isn't vitally important.

Of course it grinds them down. Stamina levels drop, especially when you play 40 minute halves. More broken tackles, more dropped ball, and stamina drops quicker defending than it does attacking.

I've surmised that from your lies, from your untrue statements. You say no other PS3 game uses X to go forward and O to go back. I have owned close to a hundred PS, PS2 and PS3 games and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM uses that combination. This includes games such as Modern Warfare 1 & 2, Black Ops, Uncharted 1 and 2, Tekken 6, Street Fighter 4, MGS4, Virtua Tennis 2009, and many more. I'm curious to know what games you own, as you must own NONE of those "big name games". You say you can't get penalties against the AI for offside or not square at the PTB. I have had penalties for those infringements, against the AI. So again, your statement ISN'T TRUE. It's black and white, so much stuff you have claimed NOT TRUE.

As for the Leeds board, why would I be annoyed (See how I don't have to stoop to your level of AUP-breaking gutter language and swear-filter avoidance to reply)? I was banned because another user broke the AUP saying I was a racist (despite me never making a racist statement in my life) and I asked a moderator to take action against the libellous post. How he came to ban me for that I don't know, but based on that action, it's clear that right-minded people who don't break rules aren't welcome there. I can see why you fit in so well if that's where you belong.

Like I said... found out in the lies, watch the insults and gutter-language abuse roll.
Previous