WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Hemel Stags

Board index Championship 1 Doncaster RLFC Hemel Stags

Hemel Stags
Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm
Posted by Gerry Monside on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm
Gerry Monside Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Hemel have withdrawn from League 1 for 2019.

We’re down to 11 teams - what are the odds on a revamp of the Trainspotters Cup to make the number of fixtures up?

It now looks to have been a hasty RL decision to increase the Championship numbers.

Any thoughts?
Re: Hemel Stags
Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Posted by Moonshine on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Moonshine User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Probably explains why Louis Sherriff joined Aston's mob.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Posted by Double Movement on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Double Movement User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,307

Ten home games in a season isn't really enough to keep fans interested and the income from 10 homes games doesn't provide sufficient revenue for the clubs.

I'm sorry to see any club drop out but the challenges Hemel have faced in recent seasons have been huge. There's a new Southern League being formed, presumably they're going to be playing in that against opponents of a similar level. You simply can't build up a fanbase when you're getting thumped every week. Hopefully, the new division will allow these teams to develop in a better, more sustainable, way than pitching them in at a level that's too high for them.

The Championship will be playing 26 league games in their season. That's about right. Twenty games for us is too few. It's also going to mean one team will have blank weekend during each round of games as there's an uneven number of teams in the league. There could be long gaps between home games.

How could the leaque fixture list be designed to create an extra six matches? After 20 matches you could split it into the Top Six and Bottom Five. The top six play each other another once to create 5 more games; the downside is that you then get an uneven split of home/away games.

I think I'd still prefer to do that than have a cup competition to make up the numbers. If the cup comp is a straight knock-out, you might only get one more match anyway. If it's a cup comp based on a league format, it's likely to become nothing more than a prolonged pre-season warm up comp.
Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 pm
Posted by Lilfatman on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 pm
Lilfatman Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I've been expecting the Welsh team to fold, their results were if I recall worse than Hemel.
Post Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 am
Posted by Jemmo on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 am
Jemmo User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,307

West Wales have just appointed Kim Williams as their head coach so don't think they're going to follow Hemel