Jan 29 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Dec 18 10:197th Dec 18 08:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 am  
PrinterThe wrote:

It's not Leeds fault Reserves hasn't worked, the rest of SL and Championship shouldn't need us to hold there hand in doing it if it's the great idea people claim it is. It's also not our fault that other clubs haven't made the success of Dusl reg. that we have.

I'm not blaming Leeds for the failure of the reserve league, though of course they made no positive contribution in that area. Just because Leeds have been able to use (and abuse) the dual reg system more effectively anyone else doesn't mean the opportunities are there for all the other clubs. The Hull clubs don't have a dual reg partner that is a short bus ride away in the same city for a start. The current Hull partnership with Doncaster is looking good at the moment from a Hull point of view but if I was a Donny fan I'd be worried about their club losing its identity and independence.

A reserve league, or properly constituted feeder teams is best for the game in general but I wouldn't expect Hetherington to be too interested in sacrificing his current advantage.
Karen 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator11182
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 200222 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Apr 24 12:2019th May 23 21:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 am  
Mild Rover wrote:
Okay, I just think that it is quite a leap to that having been influential in the downturn in Wire's fortunes, for example. Basically, Leeds were notable under performers in 2016, and were unusual among the wealthier teams in not running a reserves team that year. That very easily could be a coincidence, and I think it probably was. Even in 2016, the competition as it was then structured looked - being more generous than hindsight requires - to be taking initial tentative steps.

Nahhhh, that was down to them winning the league leaders...that shield has signed the winners to the bottom 4 for the last 2 years!! :wink: :lol:
Karen 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator11182
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 200222 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Apr 24 12:2019th May 23 21:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am  
PrinterThe wrote:
Yeah because before they restarted reserve teams the likes of Wigan, Warrington and Saints NEVER finished in the top 4.

Games were getting cancelled due to too many injuries at clubs, how is your fringe players and youngsters playing reserve games every week going to help that? You'll end up with even bigger injury lists because players will pick up injuries in that reserve competition too. If clubs couldn't cope with weekly first team games and the odd reserve game every several weeks how are they going to cope putting out teams for both every week?

For the criticism Leeds get for not running one and going Dual Reg. we just won a GF with a new core of young players who came through our setup more than playing there part and potentially being our core for the next 5-10 years . Jack Walker a GF winner at 18, Sutcliffe, Ward, Singleton all in their early 20's and over 100 appearances and a few medals to their names.

Look at some of those who ran reserves. Warrington had a similar season to us 12 months previously. We backed ourselves and squad and young players. Warrington have gone out and splashed cash in bringing players in. Wigan get praised but look at recruitment since reserves started. An ex player in Sarginson brought back even though this former player returning has been a poor tactic for them and a young Aussie forward, last year another former player in Leuluai and two French players? Where's the real results for their two years of running reserves? The likes of Williams, Burgess, Gildart, Powell had broken through BEFORE reserves. They had the two young wingers Davies and Marshall last season but they'd have played anyway last year due to injuries.

It's not Leeds fault Reserves hasn't worked, the rest of SL and Championship shouldn't need us to hold there hand in doing it if it's the great idea people claim it is. It's also not our fault that other clubs haven't made the success of Dusl reg. that we have.

And players don't get injured at their duel reg clubs don't they?? Wherever they play, injuries are going to occur so that argument is seriously flawed!

For me, it's about being a part of the team and as has been mentioned, I feel for Donny because they are more like FC reserves and are losing their own identity. I'm not saying that duel reg isn't a viable option because it clearly is, but I'd prefer the lads to be training and playing within the FC umbrella rather than learning the Donny way and then having to relearn ours when they jump into the first team.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 18 22:5421st Apr 18 22:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am  
Erik the not red wrote:
I'm not blaming Leeds for the failure of the reserve league, though of course they made no positive contribution in that area. Just because Leeds have been able to use (and abuse) the dual reg system more effectively anyone else doesn't mean the opportunities are there for all the other clubs. The Hull clubs don't have a dual reg partner that is a short bus ride away in the same city for a start. The current Hull partnership with Doncaster is looking good at the moment from a Hull point of view but if I was a Donny fan I'd be worried about their club losing its identity and independence.

A reserve league, or properly constituted feeder teams is best for the game in general but I wouldn't expect Hetherington to be too interested in sacrificing his current advantage.

Featherstone isn't in Leeds and god forbid players having to travel an hour down the motorway.

And if Reserves teams are such a great idea and better than Dual Reg. then isn't Heatherington putting himself and Leeds at a disadvantage?

Nothing stopping the other 11 SL teams and some Championship teams running a Reserve League without Leeds. The excuse that the likes of Hull, Saints and Wire are using that not enough teams are doing it is poor when the likes of Wakey and Leigh are starting teams now.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am  
Karen wrote:
And players don't get injured at their duel reg clubs don't they?? Wherever they play, injuries are going to occur so that argument is seriously flawed!

For me, it's about being a part of the team and as has been mentioned, I feel for Donny because they are more like FC reserves and are losing their own identity. I'm not saying that duel reg isn't a viable option because it clearly is, but I'd prefer the lads to be training and playing within the FC umbrella rather than learning the Donny way and then having to relearn ours when they jump into the first team.

Yes players will still get injured, the point is Hull, Wigan, whoever need 34 fit players to fufill fixtures that weekend. If a Leeds player get injured at Feb they should still be fine fielding a 17 that weekend.

That Wigan in particular had so much trouble being able to fulfill fixtures at all levels due to lack of fit players shows the problem and that with a small reserve fixture list. A big one would only make it tougher and more fixtures would be cancelled.

As for being part of a team and a club culture thing well Leeds seem to do just fine with that aspect and Cas weren't to shabby either this year.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2204
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 08 200816 years239th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:0822nd Mar 24 16:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The words of fools mean nothing to one who resides in the truth.

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm  
PrinterThe wrote:
Yes players will still get injured, the point is Hull, Wigan, whoever need 34 fit players to fufill fixtures that weekend. If a Leeds player get injured at Feb they should still be fine fielding a 17 that weekend.

That Wigan in particular had so much trouble being able to fulfill fixtures at all levels due to lack of fit players shows the problem and that with a small reserve fixture list. A big one would only make it tougher and more fixtures would be cancelled.

As for being part of a team and a club culture thing well Leeds seem to do just fine with that aspect and Cas weren't to shabby either this year.

There is a much publicized shortage of players right now. Without dual reg, lower league clubs brought through youngsters, or amateurs. With the easy option of drafting in SL squad players - those youngsters and amateurs will never get the chance. Also, with a reserve league clubs used to get to test trialists. Hull have signed a few union players over the years because of successful stints in the reserves. Surely the argument is that simple?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:26 pm  
Raggytash wrote:
There is a much publicized shortage of players right now. Without dual reg, lower league clubs brought through youngsters, or amateurs. With the easy option of drafting in SL squad players - those youngsters and amateurs will never get the chance. Also, with a reserve league clubs used to get to test trialists. Hull have signed a few union players over the years because of successful stints in the reserves. Surely the argument is that simple?

There is a shortage of players, which makes trying to fulfill both first team and reserve fixtures unrealistic.

Lower league clubs can still bring through youngsters and the lower leagues are full of players that were in Leeds' academy, players they wouldn't have if we kept them for ourselves just to make sure we could fulfill reserve fixtures in the hope of not missing out on a late bloomer.

Leeds have signed a few former Union players too. Keinhorst and Walters and they set up and scored out winning try in the 2015 GF.....so you don't need reserves to do that.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2204
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 08 200816 years239th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:0822nd Mar 24 16:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The words of fools mean nothing to one who resides in the truth.

Re: What to do with the reserves : Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm  
PrinterThe wrote:
There is a shortage of players, which makes trying to fulfill both first team and reserve fixtures unrealistic.

Lower league clubs can still bring through youngsters and the lower leagues are full of players that were in Leeds' academy, players they wouldn't have if we kept them for ourselves just to make sure we could fulfill reserve fixtures in the hope of not missing out on a late bloomer.

Leeds have signed a few former Union players too. Keinhorst and Walters and they set up and scored out winning try in the 2015 GF.....so you don't need reserves to do that.

Hull have enough players to fulfill first team and reserve matches. So do Halifax. Neither of these clubs are blessed with the same resources of Leeds. If it's unrealistic for Leeds to run a reserve team, I'd class that as a monumental failure. The lower leagues are also scattered with ex Hull academy players, some of which would be plying their trade in our reserves if the Alliance system was mandatory. I have no doubt some of the ex Leeds kids would be in your reserve team too. If reserves were mandatory, then every one of those Leeds/Hull players that are currently playing in the lower leagues would instead be a player not currently playing in the pro leagues and expanding our player base.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What to do with the reserves : Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am  
Raggytash wrote:
Hull have enough players to fulfill first team and reserve matches. So do Halifax. Neither of these clubs are blessed with the same resources of Leeds. If it's unrealistic for Leeds to run a reserve team, I'd class that as a monumental failure. The lower leagues are also scattered with ex Hull academy players, some of which would be plying their trade in our reserves if the Alliance system was mandatory. I have no doubt some of the ex Leeds kids would be in your reserve team too. If reserves were mandatory, then every one of those Leeds/Hull players that are currently playing in the lower leagues would instead be a player not currently playing in the pro leagues and expanding our player base.

Leeds are well resourced but that doesn't stop you getting injuries.....look at Wigan this year and cancelling Reserve games. And we may well be able to cope every week but it's redundant if several others struggle and cancel.

Shouldn't be mandatory, should let clubs choose and not be forced to have a system they don't want. You don't need every SL team in it to make it work or have enough fixtures. If there's only 6 teams doing it then just play each other 4 times a year instead of twice. If it's truest about giving young players game time and injured players a return to fitness then it doesn't need to be a 12 team home and away even fixture list.
bonnie 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach519No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 21 200420 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Jan 24 11:5422nd Jan 24 19:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"we're just a VILLAGE in Wakefield"

Re: What to do with the reserves : Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm  
Karen wrote:

The Donny way is the same as FC ,Horne might be coach at dons but everything is taught the same way,not as skilful or as fast but the same way.
Previous

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
6m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Marcus's Bic
10m
Shopping list for 2025
Irregular Ho
13m
Am I missing something
Philbetter
13m
Rumours and signings v9
MattyB
15m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
19m
Fitzgibbon
Wires71
25m
London Away
Roam Ranger
41m
Hudds a
Big Steve
41m
Rumours thread
Shifty Cat
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Tonights game v HKR
easyWire
44s
Rumours and signings v9
MattyB
50s
OFFICIAL - WSL - LEEDS RHINOS LADIES CHAT THREAD
KaeruJim
54s
Bradford next
PopTart
1m
Wakefield S/F
Bully_Boxer
1m
Mago
--[ WW ]--
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Zoo Zoo Boom
1m
Am I missing something
Philbetter
1m
RD 11 Catalan Dragons A
KaeruJim
2m
Ticket for the final
King Street
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Hudds and HKR
Lower Crease
TODAY
Katherine Jenkins OBE to perform at Wembley Stadium on Rugby Leagues Finals Day
RLFANS News
TODAY
Mago
--[ WW ]--
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Challenge Cup SF
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Dons v Batley Sunday 19/5/24 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Support today
Trojan Horse
TODAY
BBC
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Ticket for the final
King Street
TODAY
London Broncos First Win Of 2024 Over Awful Hull FC
RLFANS News
TODAY
Semi Final
Hangerman2
TODAY
"I didnt see that coming"
Hangerman2
TODAY
Catalans Dragons Nil The Rhinos To Go Joint Top
RLFANS News
TODAY
Wigan Warriors Sensational Second Forty Crushes Huddersfield Giants
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Katherine Jenkins OBE to perfo..
London Broncos First Win Of 20..
Catalans Dragons Nil The Rhino..
Wigan Warriors Sensational Sec..
Leigh Leopards Destroy Salford..
Warrington Wolves Frustrate Hu..
Widnes Vikings Win Thriller Ag..
Leigh Leopards and Castleford ..
Simple Rhinos Victory Compound..
Stunning Second Half Sees Wiga..
Leeds Rhinos Battle Hard for W..
Salford Red Devils Battle Hard..
Leigh Leopards Masterclass Des..
Saints Snatch Win With Lomax D..
Wakefield Trinity Too Strong F..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.59M +12,688 ↑14980,04914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 17th Aug 2024
Mens Super League XXVIII-R22
13:00
Hull FC
v
LondonB
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 18th May
CC2024
13:15
Hull KR-Wigan
WOMCC2024
11:15
St.HelensW-York V
Sun 19th May
CC2024
15:15
Huddersfield-Warrington
WOMCC2024
12:30
WiganW-LeedsW
Fri 24th May
WSL2024
17:00
St.HelensW-LeedsW
Sat 8th Jun
Wakefield-Sheffield
Sat 29th Jun
MINT2024
France M-England M
WINT2024
14:30
FRANCE W-ENGLAND W
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 12th May
SL 11 LondonB34-18Hull FC
WSL2024 3 Wire W10-6BarrowW
WSL2024 3 York V10-16LeedsW
L1 8 Midlands22-24Cornwall
1895 5 Bradford14-40Wakefield
1895 5 York18-28Sheffield
NRL 10 Sydney38-18NZ Warriors
NRL 10 Gold Coast20-18NQL Cowboys
Sat 11th May
SL 11 Huddersfield6-48Wigan
SL 11 Catalans26-0Leeds
WSL2024 3 Hudds W0-102WiganW
WSL2024 3 FeatherstoneW4-58St.HelensW
NRL 10 Wests14-20Newcastle
NRL 10 St.George28-14Souths
NRL 10 Melbourne18-25Cronulla
Fri 10th May
SL 11 Castleford4-60St.Helens
SL 11 Leigh40-12Salford
NRL 10 Parramatta14-30Brisbane
NRL 10 Penrith16-10Canterbury
Thu 9th May
SL 11 Warrington20-8Hull KR
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 10 312 132 180 16
St.Helens 11 289 114 175 16
Warrington 11 286 143 143 16
Catalans 11 244 152 92 16
Hull KR 11 262 169 93 14
Salford 11 210 226 -16 14

Leeds 11 204 198 6 12
Huddersfield 11 240 229 11 10
Leigh 10 228 184 44 7
Castleford 11 184 352 -168 5
Hull FC 11 122 386 -264 2
LondonB 11 116 412 -296 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 7 252 72 180 14
Sheffield 7 224 98 126 12
Widnes 7 190 97 93 12
Featherstone 7 192 132 60 10
Bradford 7 145 129 16 8
Toulouse 7 158 130 28 6

Doncaster 7 156 168 -12 6
Swinton 7 140 154 -14 6
Whitehaven 7 133 189 -56 6
Barrow 7 102 207 -105 6