Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Million pound game

Re: Million pound game
Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm
Posted by Outwood Trinity on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm
Outwood Trinity Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 100th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

I too, am glad they didn't get promoted.

Having said that, I am all for expansion, provided it is done correctly, and that heartland clubs don't suffer as a consequence.

I have nothing against Toronto, and think that they have a place in the sport globally, but I do feel that the RFL need to be a little more transparent on some of its processes.

Well done to London, very well deserved, and is an example that hard work does pay off and you don't always have to splash the cash. I do think, although it has taken over 35 years, it is starting to work down there. Over the past few years, the grassroots down there have unearthed 3-4 quality players, who have gone on and carved out good careers. The next challenge would be creating more, and managing to keep hold of

This is where Toronto come in now

There has been a lot of talk recently about the sport being played in some of the larger American cities I also recently saw in an RL magazine that this interest had spread to Central and South America. Given the money that America invest in sport, if it is taking off, then why not create an American League covering North, Central and South America. This could give the sport a real shot in the arm. Toronto could be pioneers of this.

Over and above the last paragraph, and given the recent news regarding Belgrade, I would do the same in Continental Europe, which would cover new teams from the emerging nations and French clubs.

Should that take off, you could then have an end of season, four way tournament featuring the league leaders of a UK SL, NRL, America and Europe
Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am
Posted by bren2k on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 161
Rep Position: 13th / 77,338

Outwood Trinity wrote:
I too, am glad they didn't get promoted.

Having said that, I am all for expansion, provided it is done correctly, and that heartland clubs don't suffer as a consequence.

I'm not glad they didn't get promoted; I'm just satisfied that the team that won promotion did so on merit.

If the Toronto owner takes the failure to achieve SL in good faith and continues to invest and build, and they enter SL in a future season on merit, then I'll be equally satisfied; and if that's at the expense of a 'heartland' club - then they'll have lost their SL place because they weren't good enough on the field, which seems ok to me.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am
Posted by wrencat1873 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 211
Rep Position: 10th / 77,338

bren2k wrote:
I'm not glad they didn't get promoted; I'm just satisfied that the team that won promotion did so on merit.

If the Toronto owner takes the failure to achieve SL in good faith and continues to invest and build, and they enter SL in a future season on merit, then I'll be equally satisfied; and if that's at the expense of a 'heartland' club - then they'll have lost their SL place because they weren't good enough on the field, which seems ok to me.

Yes but, it still wouldnt answer the $billion question as to whether Canadian / N.American clubs are sensible addition to Super League.
For me, this is THE main issue, although, as we have seen with MarwamK, sometimes the big players are a little too impatient and if this means the Toronto may fail at some point in the not too distant future, having put a "heartland" club in jeopardy then, it's a definite NO from me.
Previous