WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sam Williams
Re: Sam Williams
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm
Slugger McBatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

It's not his first stint in the Super League, but it's the second time it hasn't quite worked out. Just not meant to be, perhaps. He's been a decent player. Just not quite the X-factor people hoped.
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - MORE ANCIENT. MORE LOYAL.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

TwistTheMellonMan wrote:
Hearing Salford are very interested in him to replace Dobson for 2018

Not exactly a replacement is he. We all have our opinions regarding Williams but I suspect most people would agree that he's not as good as Dobson certainly not a like for like replacement. Personally I don't think he's even close and never will be.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 pm
TwistTheMellonMan Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I agree but the current crop of HB on the market aren't either. The nearest is Hodkinson but he's staying in the NRL. All we need is a decent foil for Lui who provides are main running and attacking game from HB.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm
FickleFingerOfFate User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

TwistTheMellonMan wrote:
I agree but the current crop of HB on the market aren't either. The nearest is Hodkinson but he's staying in the NRL. All we need is a decent foil for Lui who provides are main running and attacking game from HB.

This seems to be a pretty reasonable idea, as wasn't it Williams who replaced Dobson for a short time at Catalans.
Was Bosc the stand off then, who did most of the running?
Last edited by FickleFingerOfFate on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm
TwistTheMellonMan Strong-running second rower

Both of similar types of hb so i guess not from what i can remember of them both playing.
Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:24 am
wakefieldwall Strong-running second rower

Can't fault Sam's effort and attitude. Hadn't quite worked out this year in terms of fitting in to the team. I'm convinced I'd goal kicking had been better in the first 7 games he wouldn't have come under such scrutiny from some of our support.

Seen in flashes what he can do and think he'd have come on next year.
What would a Cockney know about rugby league?
Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:19 am
Eastern Wildcat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Yes, I agree there Wakefield Wall.

We saw bits of what he could do, and maybe next year could have really come one.

Think some of the teams he played against was weary of the threat he posed. I recall, following a game on here, where he was been slated, I observed the fact that every time he got the ball, there was always 3-4 defenders around him, closing him down very quickly.

As for goalkicking, have people forgotten his last minute successful kick from near the touchline to beat Salford.
Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am
Wildmoggy Strong-running second rower

wakefieldwall wrote:
Can't fault Sam's effort and attitude. Hadn't quite worked out this year in terms of fitting in to the team. I'm convinced I'd goal kicking had been better in the first 7 games he wouldn't have come under such scrutiny from some of our support.

Seen in flashes what he can do and think he'd have come on next year.

Don't think his goal kicking was that bad seen as he kicked the winning goal from the touchline against Salford, and we lost on tries at Saints but he kicked all the goals to win us that game too! As for him as a player, I don't really get where people had him as some x factor possibly star man? He has only played around 70 odd games in the NRL in the past 7 seasons, and basically played when the first choice mainly at Canberra was injured. He has had his moments though, he's done ok, and we have won more than we've lost I think when he's been the starting half with especially Finn when Miller was injured. Maybe next year he would be better, but will he get the chance?
Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 am
Jizzer User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Would like to see another season from him, over seas players always take time to settle but still he hasn't done bad by any stretch. Maybe he just isn't feeling it either though
Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm
wakeytrin Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Announced at presentation night he was going back home.
Continue to support the new stadium at Newmarket Lane.
You know it makes sense.
Wakefields roller coaster ride continues.
PreviousNext