FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Statement from Wakefield & District Community Trust
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3192No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Feb 22 22:4616th Sep 19 13:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
LOOKING FOR ACCOMMODATION IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA
//www.orlandovilla.org.uk

Statement from Wakefield & District Community Trust - 27th June 2017

Wakefield Trinity (the Club) issued a statement last night regarding the ongoing saga of the non-delivery of the Community Stadium that was promised to the people of Wakefield at the Public Inquiry almost 5 years ago. The Trust was aware of the statement and is 100% behind the Club on this.

In February 2017 Sir Rodney Walker resigned his position as Chairman and Director of the Trust and informed the remaining Directors that he was intending on setting up his own Trust to deliver the stadium much to the surprise and dismay of the remaining 7 Board Members.

Since Sir Rodney’s resignation, under the new Chairmanship of Jonathan Stone, all the remaining Trustees have continued to work with the council and the developer to try and reach a solution to this ongoing issue. The trust were therefore delighted when, at a recent Council meeting, Cllr Peter Box announced that agreement had been reached with the developer and that a new multi-party Section 106 planning agreement was to be drawn up and lodged.

On the 26th May, Jonathan Stone and Chris Brereton met with Colin Mackie at Yorkcourt’s offices to start work on and agree the Heads of Terms agreement, that would form the basis upon which the new Section 106 would be based. It was a very friendly and extremely positive meeting. The principals of the new deal were agreed and both the Trust and the Developer felt that a new 10,000 (approx.) capacity stadium could be built and delivered at Newmarket, given no unexpected or uncontrollable issues, for the start of the 2019 Rugby League Super League season. It should be noted that the ‘deal’ that was agreed at this meeting appears to be almost identical to the one that Sir Rodney Walker is now stating in the media he wishes to deliver under the auspices of his new Trust!

Furthermore the Trust was informed prior to an all parties meeting on 16th June with the Council and Yorkcourt (the Developer) that Yorkcourt had informed the Council that they wished only to work with Sir Rodney’s new Trust (the first time we had heard anything about Sir Rodney setting up a new Trust since February). He would not be attending our scheduled meeting, which was supposed to continue to discuss the new multi-party agreement that he had promised to the Council, and seemingly also reached agreement on, with the Trust.

There was a further meeting with the Council yesterday which was attended by Michael Carter, Chris Brereton, the Chairman of the Trust Jonathan Stone and Ian Bramley. The Leader of Wakefield MDC, Cllr Peter Box also attended the meeting.

The Council indicated that their preference was to continue to work with the original Trust but as they had a request from Yorkcourt to switch to Sir Rodney’s new Trust they had to seek legal advice on their position and whilst we cannot see how a Developer can dictate terms to the Council as Planning Authority we understand and accept the Council’s position and await the outcome of that legal advice which is expected very shortly. The Trust is also clearly taking advice on this matter from its own Lawyer.

The Council confirmed that they were continuing to work on the Heads of Terms that will form the basis of the new multi-party Section 106 Agreement in order to hit the deadline that the Club faces at the end of July 2017 to satisfy requirements laid down by the Rugby Football League. Unfortunately as those discussions are with Yorkcourt they will (so far) not allow those terms to be shown to this Trust.

We think therefore that we should place on record the basic terms that the Trust require in order that we can reach agreement on the new Section 106 Agreement.

In the original Unilateral Undertaking following the Public Inquiry the stadium was to be built by Yorkcourt and then passed to the Trust on a 99 year lease for a peppercorn. The Trust would then agree terms with the Club to be anchor tenant. The Trust has draft copies of the proposed heads of terms that were drawn up back at that time, and they indicate similar terms to what we are continuing to propose.

It was the intention of the Trust, although not formally approved, rather than establishing an expensive Management Company, to sub-lease the stadium to the Club on a 99 year lease for a rent to be agreed. The stadium would be let to the Club on a FRI (Fully Repairing & Insuring) lease where the Club would have all responsibility for maintenance, repairs etc. However in turn they would be able to retain all income the stadium would generate in order to make the Club sustainable and allow it to compete in Super League. There would be conditions in the lease that ensure that the stadium would be made available for community use and future sub-let use by another sporting club, such as an Association Football Club or Rugby Football Union Club.

If the proposed Heads of Terms differ from this, or under guidance from the Trusts lawyers are not acceptable for any other genuine moral or legal reason, then they will not be acceptable to the Trust and the Club.

There is no reason whatsoever why the terms should differ. Peter Box said recently in the Council Chamber that Yorkcourt had agreed to a new Section 106 Agreement and referred to the Section 106 Agreement that would deliver a new stadium for Castleford Tigers at Glasshoughton which the Council had negotiated. He said the agreement that would deliver the Castleford stadium had been referred to as “perfect” and he intended negotiating a similar “perfect” agreement for the Trust and the Club. The agreement is indeed “perfect” and we commend the Council on their negotiations and are confident that they will indeed produce another “perfect” agreement now that they have the opportunity.

It was suggested at yesterday’s meeting with the Council that the issue Yorkcourt have with this Trust is that they find working with Chris Brereton and Michael Carter difficult. They then offered, at this meeting, to step down from the Trust subject to new Section 106 agreement being agreed by the end of July, that would see a stadium delivered for 2019. Whilst we find it hard to accept that the issue is simply about Chris and Michael, and we would wish them to continue on the Trust, if they believe their resignation would help the situation and deliver a stadium we would, with reluctance, accept their resignations.

In a further act of reconciliation it was suggested and agreed by the Council that we should invite Sir Rodney to re-join the original Trust, and also consider any new Trustees he might have recruited to his new Trust, removing the need for Sir Rodney to form this new Trust and he would again be able to work with all Trustee to deliver the stadium. Jonathan met with Sir Rodney last night and had a frank, forthright but friendly discussion and invited Sir Rodney to re-join the Trust. He did not accept the invitation, but he did say he would consider a merging of the two Trusts. Jonathan agreed that we would be willing to consider a merger (with the support of all the other Trustees), as Yorkcourt had indicated that they only wished to work with Sir Rodney’s Trust at this time, and that Chris and Michael were the sticking point (but had also now offered to resign from the Trust), but on the condition Sir Rodney could indeed deliver a deal by the end of July as he promised to Jonathan and the public of Wakefield, in the media.

Jonathan commented following their meeting “The stated aim of this Trust, started by Sir Rodney and Wakefield Council, is to see the delivery of a Community Stadium for the citizens of Wakefield and provide a new modern facility for the city’s only professional sports team, Wakefield Trinity. The Trustees, the Club and many other people have worked tirelessly for almost two decades to see this come to fruition, I would not wish anything or anyone to get in the way or hinder the delivery of a Community stadium facility. Sir Rodney Walker has assured me that he feels that he can work with the developer and finally deliver what was promised. I expressed my personal scepticism (and that of all the Trustees and the Club) about his and the developers ability and desire to do so, given he had been unable to achieve this while Chairman of the Trust for 7 years and had walked away from the Trust he started. As of yet, neither Sir Rodney or the Developer has clearly stated their actual reasons, to me, for not being willing to continue to work with this Trust on what appears an almost identical deal to the one that we agreed on, only a few short weeks ago. However, I am willing to give Sir Rodney and Yorkcourt every opportunity to deliver the stadium they originally proposed and promised to the citizens of Wakefield.”

We look forward to receiving a copy of the proposed draft Heads of Terms within the next couple of weeks, to allow the Trust, the Club and our Lawyers time to give their input, so that a satisfactory deal can be put in place, as promised by Sir Rodney, by the end of July.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 22:1028th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

This could be a summary:

Rodney gets wind that Yorkcourt are finding MC and CB difficult, because of course they are working hard for what the club can get out of it. Rodney puffs his chest and says, 'leave it to me, I'm the big gun round here.' Rodney forms a new Trust. MC and CB pull out, making the new Trust pointless and making Rodney look a bit silly. To save face, Rodney suggests that the Trusts are merged, allowing him to look in charge and still deliver what he says he can deliver and what appears to be on the table.

There are less charitable versions, but I'll wait to see what July brings.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2207
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 years239th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 14:0322nd Apr 24 09:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The mind is like a parachute. If it's not open it won't work. - Frank Zappa

I'd love to ask Rodney Walker why he feels he can deliver a new stadium when he has been unable to do so for the last seven years. It can't just be the presence of Michael and Chris on the Trust as they have not been around for all of those seven years.

And I'd love Yorkcourt to explain why after a 'friendly and positive meeting' which included Chris, they decide on the 16th of June they cannot work with Chris (and Michael). Perhaps they ask too many difficult questions ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2107No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 18 20:2316th Jun 18 14:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Good statement, let's hope good will happen
Up the Trin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach552No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 03 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Feb 23 19:279th Mar 19 12:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Thank You for the statement, and i have read it a few times now, along with the club one.

I am not party to any of this, so this is my own assumption of where the sticking point is/are.

The bit in the statement that sticks out to me is the FRI and the club keeping the revenue generated. While i fully support this (and this is required to make our club sustainable), i suggest that "others" may want a cut of the income.

i am very skeptical about mist things where money is concerned as there is always at least one person who wants to earn a fast buck.

i am sorry to the Trust and/or trusts and other parties if this is not the case
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3192No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

LyndsayGill wrote:
I'd love to ask Rodney Walker why he feels he can deliver a new stadium when he has been unable to do so for the last seven years. It can't just be the presence of Michael and Chris on the Trust as they have not been around for all of those seven years.

And I'd love Yorkcourt to explain why after a 'friendly and positive meeting' which included Chris, they decide on the 16th of June they cannot work with Chris (and Michael). Perhaps they ask too many difficult questions ?

Red herring in my opinion.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3192No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

miamivice wrote:
Thank You for the statement, and i have read it a few times now, along with the club one.

I am not party to any of this, so this is my own assumption of where the sticking point is/are.

The bit in the statement that sticks out to me is the FRI and the club keeping the revenue generated. While i fully support this (and this is required to make our club sustainable), i suggest that "others" may want a cut of the income.

i am very skeptical about mist things where money is concerned as there is always at least one person who wants to earn a fast buck.

i am sorry to the Trust and/or trusts and other parties if this is not the case

We have seen no terms yet but I don't think you are far off the target there. Of course i may be wrong.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2207
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 years239th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 14:0322nd Apr 24 09:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The mind is like a parachute. If it's not open it won't work. - Frank Zappa

Sandal Cat wrote:
Red herring in my opinion.

My thoughts too.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 22:1028th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

The less charitable version is that things change as soon as it becomes imminent, perhaps sensing the whiff of a dollar or two.

The positive is that it makes it sound even more imminent. If someone made a slice by way of a management company, then it all depends on how big the slice is, as bad as it sounds. Losing a small slice might be better than nothing at all, but it would be a disgusting thing to happen if it turns out that way.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 201113 years244th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 24 22:033rd Mar 24 01:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Slugger McBatt wrote:
The less charitable version is that things change as soon as it becomes imminent, perhaps sensing the whiff of a dollar or two.

The positive is that it makes it sound even more imminent. If someone made a slice by way of a management company, then it all depends on how big the slice is, as bad as it sounds. Losing a small slice might be better than nothing at all, but it would be a disgusting thing to happen if it turns out that way.

Having read both statements the only reasons I can see for these turns of events are Walker's pride but more likely money; the revenue steams the club needs from a new build. A cut will be wanted by one party or another. Things usually relate to money. Has to be. I hope this turns out acceptable for us in the end but I am frankly disgusted to the pit of my stomach with those obviously to blame here for this extraordinary twist and appearances would suggest we are talking about Yorkcourt and Walker Primarily.
Next