WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Matty Ashurst new deal

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Matty Ashurst new deal

Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 am
Posted by Wakefield No 1 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 am
Wakefield No 1 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:19 pm
Posts: 8827
Shifty Cat wrote:
Agree it is a great bonus and not having a big turnover last year was probably one of the reasons we did much better this one. The only place I think we need an extra body is Prop, with just 4 out and out Props. 2 less than what we started this past season with Allgood & Ant Walker leaving. Adam Walker was also brought in but the other Walker had gone and Allgood was done for the season by then.
We've obviously increased a few players wages like Ashurst and Hirst so that has to be taken into account when looking at the squad. Since the start of last last season we've lost Allgood & Walker from the Prop department Sio,Williams, Gibson and Molloy, even though he hasn't been seen this year.
Next season even though he came at the end of this last season we brought in Randall and obviously Horo.
Tbh I'm not sure out of the younger guys we've gots like Mazive and Moules who's staying and apart from Akroyd who's getting promoted from the U19's.

Mazive signed for York.
Fed up of these rollercoaster rides!!
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 am
Posted by vastman on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 am
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 26571
Location: Poodle Power!
Shifty Cat wrote:
Agree it is a great bonus and not having a big turnover last year was probably one of the reasons we did much better this one. The only place I think we need an extra body is Prop, with just 4 out and out Props. 2 less than what we started this past season with Allgood & Ant Walker leaving. Adam Walker was also brought in but the other Walker had gone and Allgood was done for the season by then.
We've obviously increased a few players wages like Ashurst and Hirst so that has to be taken into account when looking at the squad. Since the start of last last season we've lost Allgood & Walker from the Prop department Sio,Williams, Gibson and Molloy, even though he hasn't been seen this year.
Next season even though he came at the end of this last season we brought in Randall and obviously Horo.
Tbh I'm not sure out of the younger guys we've gots like Mazive and Moules who's staying and apart from Akroyd who's getting promoted from the U19's.


Ackroyd and Wray got promoted this year - both imho look better prospects than Mazive and Moulles.
Just my opinion as it always hard to know but I haven't felt as positive about a player in Ackroyd since Johnstone.

Also signed Schofield from Leeds Academy which to me also counts as a junior signing.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am
Posted by Shifty Cat on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am
Shifty Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 4167
Mazive signed for York.

Cheers, not a surprise really.

Ackroyd and Wray got promoted this year - both imho look better prospects than Mazive and Moulles.
Just my opinion as it always hard to know but I haven't felt as positive about a player in Ackroyd since Johnstone.

Also signed Schofield from Leeds Academy which to me also counts as a junior signing.


Wray that was the kids name I was trying to think of that signed at the same time as Ackroyd. Yeah there certainly seems to be a bit of hype behind Ackroyd, hopefully he can fullfil it with us.
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 am
Posted by Egg Banjo on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 am
Egg Banjo User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm
Posts: 614
Every time ive watched Ackroyd Ive been impressed with him.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am
Posted by vastman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 26571
Location: Poodle Power!
Egg Banjo wrote:
Every time ive watched Ackroyd Ive been impressed with him.


When I look at a youngster the question I ask is not will they make it - far to early to tell - but will they benefit from a full time environment.

I never got that feeling with Mazive or Moules. They both looked as good as they were ever going to imho. Where as in say Crowther and Jowitt I can still see room for growth. TJ and to a degree Batch are already there.

Ackroyd looks to have acres of potential so well worth persisting with. He won't get any game time other tha friendlies and maybe a cup game but he should get the chance to impress in training. Wray is a longer term project but he has one big selling point, he's big and seems to have the heart to match.

Fingers crossed for both.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm
Posted by bellycouldtackle on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm
bellycouldtackle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:46 am
Posts: 1741
Location: wakefield
Luke Hooley is the player that impressed well last season, he went very well at Oldham in his loan spell, starring in games and picking up man of the match awards which is very impressive. SL supporters tend to be snobbish when talking about the `lower leagues `but many many SL youngsters are sent out on loan to lower league clubs and fail to impress, mainly because they are still very young and the game is bloody tough, and perhaps some players feel a bit above that level and do not go with the correct attitude. So for Luke do impress so well at Oldham suggests to me that firstly he is very talented and secondly and of equal importance he has a first class attitude. Bodes very well. Bit of quality at full back with Grix, Jowitt and Hooley
Re: Matty Ashurst new deal
Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm
Posted by vastman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 26571
Location: Poodle Power!
bellycouldtackle wrote:
Luke Hooley is the player that impressed well last season, he went very well at Oldham in his loan spell, starring in games and picking up man of the match awards which is very impressive. SL supporters tend to be snobbish when talking about the `lower leagues `but many many SL youngsters are sent out on loan to lower league clubs and fail to impress, mainly because they are still very young and the game is bloody tough, and perhaps some players feel a bit above that level and do not go with the correct attitude. So for Luke do impress so well at Oldham suggests to me that firstly he is very talented and secondly and of equal importance he has a first class attitude. Bodes very well. Bit of quality at full back with Grix, Jowitt and Hooley


Also went on loan to Dewsbury and impressed. Just not sure about his status, is he in next years full time squad?
SUPPORT SWAG...
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coco the fullback, got there, Jizzer, musson, polancoboy, Trinity 61, Trinity1315, Wildthing, wrenthorpecat and 143 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wakefield Trinity





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,664,7511,22876,3494,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time 
World Cup: Semi Final
ENGLAND
20-18
TONGA
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM