WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Selling the game!

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Selling the game!

Re: Selling the game!
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm
Posted by Redscat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm
Redscat Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Surely all clubs have nothing substantial to lose by letting u13s in free. There would be longer term benefits I'm sure.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 pm
Posted by inside man on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 pm
inside man User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Not just looking at the the benefits to the club but RL at an amateur level is moribund, we need to have more kids interested in playing as well as watching, we will reap the benefits long term.
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 am
Posted by wildshot on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 am
wildshot User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I think getting people in at an early age is critical and key to getting them hooked. I first started going just before my teenage years and was then going almost every home game, and some away right up to when I went to University. As a school kid I felt very proud to have a season ticket which was reasonably priced.

Then in the 90s I went to University and began work away from Wakefield. I could rarely afford to go to games in the early 90s and transport was an issue too. However since I've become financially more stable and am now able to drive I've been back for many years. Why am I back? Simple really, I was hooked from an early age. That is why I am prepared to drive 100+ miles most weekends to watch Trinity.
http://flightsandfrustration.com/

It is "Fifita" not "Fafita"

If you don't know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're" I might get annoyed.

Sharing First World problems so you can get it right first time.

Millionaires wanted. Apply here --- Wakefield Trinity
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm
Posted by vastman on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Skit33 wrote:
How can we make the people of Wakefield come down to watch this city's high flying super league team. Waky have exceeded all expectations and continue to produce some great entertainment but it seems that crowds continue to dwindle. Big games at a critical part of the season watched by pathetic crowds, cant be all Sky's fault can it?

The crowds haven't been pathetic, why the need for the OTT language. They are honest figures which is far more important. More would be better obviously.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm
Posted by Skit33 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm
Skit33 Stevo's Armpit

vastman wrote:
The crowds haven't been pathetic, why the need for the OTT language. They are honest figures which is far more important. More would be better obviously.

Sorry but I Don't think saying honest figures sums up the very poor attendance for such a big game.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm
Posted by vastman on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Skit33 wrote:
Sorry but I Don't think saying honest figures sums up the very poor attendance for such a big game.

What crowd were you expecting for a Thursday night Sky match?
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pm
Posted by Skit33 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pm
Skit33 Stevo's Armpit

vastman wrote:
What crowd were you expecting for a Thursday night Sky match?

Not a big one to be honest, hence me posting the Question.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm
Posted by vastman on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Skit33 wrote:
Not a big one to be honest, hence me posting the Question.

That's what I meant by honest. It looked ok me under the circumstances. It's all about perceptions really. Under Glover we thought we were smashing box office records, turned out half were in on feebies. Even then he'd have added another thousand non existent 1000 non existent fans for good measure.

At least with Carter you know they all paid and at the end of the day that's what counts.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 am
Posted by Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 am
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Crowds are always linked to results. How many more would be going to Hull tonight but for that cock up last week? That was just one game!
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years"

Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am
Posted by financialtimes on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am
financialtimes User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

inside man wrote:
Not just looking at the the benefits to the club but RL at an amateur level is moribund, we need to have more kids interested in playing as well as watching, we will reap the benefits long term.

Participation numbers from 6-12 years old are up and a lot of work has been done by WT community team to help with that, the area in decline is from 15-18 years old where the community game is on its backside, not to mention open age sides dropping like flies, 2 years ago the Pennine league had just short of 100 teams in their league s and now it is short of 50 teams registered to play 13 a side, this is the area where the apathy lies and needs to be addressed as so many potentially good players are leaving the game. We won't find all the next world beaters by just looking at U12's to 14's as players are nowhere near fully developed at these ages, there is more potential to be found at 17-19 year olds, so rather than picking up a 100 15's and then letting 93 of them go at 17 and probably lose them from the game (as a player and a supporter) forever, the focus should be moved to the area of the game that is genuinely in decline and offers genuine potential.
What's pink & hard first thing in the morning?
The financial time crossword
PreviousNext