FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Statement From Mike Smith .
RankPostsTeam
International Star1010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 26 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Jan 19 20:5216th Jan 19 12:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Statement From Mike Smith . : Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:13 pm  
Statement from Mike Smith

The Ban!

First of all may I thank everyone for their overwhelming support regarding my ban from
Cougar Park. Whilst it has been personally embarrassing to myself, my colleague and my
family, serious false allegations were made against us by Gary Fawcett that I now can make
public. I have deliberately waited to respond to Gary’s allegations until the team could no
longer gain promotion so I wasn’t seen to be disruptive at such a critical part of the season.
As everyone is aware I am proud and totally committed to helping get Cougars back where
they belong. That’s why we decided to volunteer to assist the club this season. We devised
new sponsorship packages and sold them and improved the match day music experience.
Perhaps our largest project was to initiate a series of discussions with a major local college
that would mirror other club’s arrangements like Leeds and Warrington.
During discussions with the college it was made clear to us that any potential sponsorship or
facility monies paid by the college could not be paid directly to the club for fear of breaching
their strict governance rules. We decided the best option for this project was to use the
Cougars Community Foundation which is ideally placed for this type of activity and could be
subject to strong governance to ensure any monies would be properly accounted for.
Prior to talking to the Foundation I spoke to Gary and asked what responsibility if any the
club had on the Foundation he replied none. I then approached Neil Spencer a friend of
mine who was the chairman of the Foundation and after discussing the college opportunity
and our vision for how we could grow the Foundation using our experiences in the
Cougarmania days. At that time the Cougars were central to the community and through a
series of innovative projects inspired young and old alike these activities was a major factor
in raising attendances at games to over 6,000.
We saw an opportunity for the Foundation to employ a high profile coach and iconic player
to work as part of the Foundations delivery team, taking away the burden of their salaries
from the club, on the lines of Phil Larder and Joe Grima back in the day. Getting into the
community can only be done successfully through high profile sports people. This approach
was so important to the rise of Cougarmania.
Neil explained he needed two new trustees to ensure the Foundation ran in accordance
with the articles of association rules. A board meeting of the foundation was convened that
was fully documented where we signed the required forms which were then sent to
Companies House making us trustees.
We then informed the Foundation co-ordinator Saima Hussain that we had become trustees
and for her to arrange a meeting with us to start planning for the future. Within hours of
sending this email Paul March was on the phone using every expletive telling us F### Off we
weren’t welcome. Shortly afterwards we received an email saying we had fraudulently
become trustees and the police had been informed and pending a police investigation we
were banned from entering Cougar Park!
Although Neil was the only person with authority to co-opt new trustees it came to light
later that two other trustees had been co-opted to the Foundation...Without Neil’s
knowledge!
Because of the seriousness of the allegations we had no alternative to but to get legal
advice. The solicitor wrote to Gary providing him with all the evidence that we had acted
legally with the best interests of the Cougars and provided all the statutory paperwork
signed by Neil.
Gary was given 14 days to prove his allegations...That day passed without any substantive
response from Gary as he could give no evidence of wrong doing on our part whatsoever
and all the allegations made by him were completely made up in an effort to stop me
continuing to push for the removal of Paul March. Because of the ferocious attack we can
only assume that the club did not want us to have access to the detailed accounting records
of the Foundation. Gary’s action served to beg the question that if he could do this to us
who are trying to help the club, is he a fit and proper person to be Chairman of Cougars?
The Club Moving Forward
The failure of the club this season has been blamed on Paul March which is very largely true.
In Gary’s statement he talked about being totally disappointed at the results of the best
team we’ve had in years. As chairman, Gary should have dismissed Paul March should early
in the season as performances were way below par. At the very least he should have been
dismissed immediately after one of the worst defeats in our history at Toulouse. So, it’s not
entirely the fault of Paul March but Gary Fawcett’s failure to act. As the leader of the club he
let everyone down. He has the responsiblity to act in the best interests of the club and
should have made a real effort to find a suitable replacement to avoid this current sorry
situation.
It is commonly believed Paul was not dismissed because the club could not afford to pay
him off. This is just not true but a convenient smoke screen to hide behind. I spoke on many
occasions to the directors regarding the need to replace Paul as failure to achieve
promotion would be catastrophic on finances...Sadly I’ve been proved correct.
It was obvious to most people Paul had major failings as a coach at this level and was
unlikely to deliver promotion. The directors had plenty of time to find a suitable
replacement to give us a fighting chance to achieve a top three finish alleviating some of the
current financial problems. Just taking into account the effect a new coach would have had
on the remaining home gates and playing in a potential home play-off game to give us a
chance of promotion would have more than compensated for any pay off to Paul.
Currently, under Gary, the Club has no leadership, no permanent commercial infrastructure
and it’s only open for business on a match day. Simple things like patching the stand roof to
avoid the embarrassment of rain water pouring onto the spectators and creating more
damage to the stands infrastructure. I find this difficult to understand as one of the directors
has a building company! The combination of all these factors show just how poorly the club
is currently managed and how Gary’s regime is allowing the club to slide slowly into the
abyss.
You would think basic common sense would tell the board that having someone working full
time in a commercial capacity would help improve the current financial situation. We must
be one of the only semi-professional sporting clubs in the country not to have a commercial
department. That’s why the club is not currently sustainable...20 years ago my small
commercial team at the club raised in excess of £I million pounds per season... You cannot
build a successful club without commercial activity.
We never had to sell next year’s season tickets to pay this season’s player cost...that is just
completely crazy!
Now following Gary’s recent statement we can all see the Cougars are broke! The fan base
has dwindled to under 300 and the fans have lost confidence in the board. So, for the club
now to announce it urgently needs to sell a minimum of 100 cheap season tickets to pay for
the players’ commitments this month, just will not wash. The shortage of cash is entirely
made from the directors’ own short sightedness and lack of business acumen.
Gary, you’ve let the fans down and lost their support...so why do you think fans will back
you by purchasing season tickets now and put the club’s future in jeopardy? It will only
make next season totally unsustainable financially. Plus, what is stopping the club getting
fans hard earned cash now and the club folding before next season?
Gary your time is almost up! You are having your last pint in the last chance saloon BUT you
have one final chance to save yourself and our beloved Cougars. You have the opportunity
to appoint a top coach, a leader with a proven track record similar to JD. We need someone
who can bring a new culture to the club and who can develop young talent. A Super League
level individual who can inspire the players, the fans, sponsors and community alike, also
appoint a commercial manager.
This is your only chance for the fan-base and sponsors to get behind the club for 2017 and
give you another season to redeem yourself. Alternatively the appointment of a typical
league one coach will NOT be acceptable to anyone and will be your final mistake.
All is not lost. We have a wonderful supportive sponsor in Simon Harrison of A1 Stairlifts
and a fantastic group of hardworking volunteers who have started to transform the stadium.
The football volunteers work tirelessly to keep the RFL documentation, changing room and
kit management spot on. Not forgetting our fantastic fans who deserve much more respect
than they are currently getting.
Now is the time Gary, to make some important decisions on the club and your own future.
Hopefully I look forward to seeing you all next season.
Mike
RankPostsTeam
International Star288No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 30 201014 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Apr 24 17:3723rd Feb 24 17:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:14 pm  
Mike Smith is no knight in shinning armour.
I'm sure we were owing more than a million pounds when he jumped ship.
I know players from that era who are personal friends of mine that have told me that many a time they wernt paid on time and we're always chasing money.
One player who I won't name had a serious shoulder injury and when trying to claim on the club insurance for the operation was told there was no insurance due to the premium not being paid.
Mike says about Gary trying to fund this month's wage bill with discounted season tickets.
If I'm not mistaken didn't Mike sell life memberships to raise money?
There is no difference then to what there is now.
In a nut she'll this level of sport will always have the senario of robing Peter to pay Paul.
It's just a case of everyone back stabbing instead of pulling together.
If it carries on it will kill the club and by then it will be too late.
If we don't get behind the club there will be no club.
RankPostsTeam
International Star45No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Apr 18 05:199th Sep 16 05:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:43 am  
I agree with Mike this season has been the most disappointing in my time of watching cougars. I personally think we need a total change at the club, fresh ideas from the top to try win these fans back. We have had a great squad of players on paper which should of seen us promoted. Also the continued arguing/slagging off isnt good for the clubs name. Any potential signings coach or playere wise reading this must be thinking what kind of club/set up are we.
We all want to see the cougar mania days back and my opinion only way to get them back is get the guys in charge then back in charge.
Why would we commit to buying season tickets without name of coach/players signed for next season.
Get the cougars back where we belong.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 26 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Jan 19 20:5216th Jan 19 12:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 am  
Mr Hicks said " If we don't get behind the club there will be no club. "

Indeed Mr Hicks , Is selling sponsorship
Packages and securing a large cash injection from a leading organisation not getting behind the club ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Sep 16 10:4613th Sep 16 10:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:08 pm  
Think their both up their own arses to be honest
RankPostsTeam
International Star258No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 03 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Oct 19 12:3512th Mar 19 18:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:07 pm  
I think they both come across as megalomaniac tossers. I have lost quite a bit of respect for both to be honest, his version of events hardly puts him in a good light.

He is not the chairman, in fact he is a failed chairman. So unless fawcett has us a million quid in debt I don't think Mike smith can criticise
104-4 
RankPostsTeam
International Star27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 19 201310 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jul 17 15:3223rd Sep 16 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:18 pm  
with Neil Spencer as the Cougars Community Foundation chairman, Mike 'Pot' Smith calling Gary 'Kettle' Fawcett grimey @rse,, the whole thing is sordid and stinks like the back of the scrattin shed with 5 minutes to go...

id say - last one out, turn the lights off but the leckie will have been switched off long before that's required...

the club has been run by self serving nest feathering idiots for years..

Roll on Cougars 2017 LTD

edited due to rubish spilling
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 16 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 18 00:3928th Feb 18 21:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm  
Whatever anyone says about Mike Smith, both he and Mick O'Neil actually got us to the door of Superleague but for it only to be slammed closed by the RFL under the control of Maurice Lindsay.

OK, so, in those days we might have accumulated debts in our quest for the ultimate but, had we not been denied our rightful place in the top echelon, those debts would have been cleared and continued success would have come our way with the 'Two Micks' in control.

But what have we now and for tears gone by? Empty promises of Superleague in the future but a downward spiral into oblivion with our current Chairman now pleading for supporters to buy discounted-priced 2017 Season Tickets in order to pay wages due to our players for the 2016 season!

Will the current Cougars and professional rugby league in Keighley still be around in 2017?

If the current squad haven't been paid, does this mean that they are 'Free Agents'? Have their contracts been breached?

Yet more questions that need to be answered by our Chairman.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Aug 20 07:4927th Apr 20 15:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
regards
and ENJOY your sport

Leaguefan

"The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:12 pm  
None of this was of course predictable. This kind of thing has no historical basis to look back on.
If KRLFC went to the wall, I don't think many would miss it. The interest in the game within the town and area, including the amateurs is slowly declining.
As an observation I don't think there been a school in the Keighley area where Rugby League was the main sport. Perhaps that in itself may answer a few questions.
Last edited by Leaguefan on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Feb 17 20:4730th Nov 16 11:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Statement From Mike Smith . : Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:32 am  
Well Leaguefan, I would miss it. It seems to me that a few on here would like Cougars to disappear for whatever twisted motivation. Coaches and indeed Chairmen come and go, and indeed the club has almost gone and then resurfaced under some of the previous regimes. This season we have had some god times but its right to start again with a new coach and some new ideas and already I am looking forward to a new season. I hope the club survives and that one day you can get over your bitterness. You and few others sound a bit sad.
Next