WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of squad players
Future of squad players
Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 am
Posted by MadDogg on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 am
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Just wondered about people's opinions of the future of some of our younger first team squad players (i.e. those with numbers around 18-40). Anyone that you feel confident will have a long term future at Wigan or anyone you feel will have to move on.

Partington, Paisley and Kibula are the ones Im most confident about.

Josh Ganson, Craig Mullen and Jack Wells are players who I feel could have a future but concerned they will soon be looking elsewhere with limited opportunities at Wigan.

Dont see a future for Higginson, Bretherton, Worthington, Field, Forsyth or Shorrocks personally.
Re: Future of squad players
Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 0

MadDogg wrote:
Just wondered about people's opinions of the future of some of our younger first team squad players (i.e. those with numbers around 18-40). Anyone that you feel confident will have a long term future at Wigan or anyone you feel will have to move on.

Josh Ganson, Craig Mullen and Jack Wells are players who I feel could have a future but concerned they will soon be looking elsewhere with limited opportunities at Wigan.

Dont see a future for Higginson, Bretherton, Worthington, Field, Forsyth or Shorrocks personally.

The 3 mentioned seem to be the main ones but Mullen went well over in Aus yet seems to have dropped down the pecking order recently. Higginson too, who looked to be on the verge a year or so ago. I wonder why we seem to have more trouble bringing centres through than any other position?

* I know Mullen is more a utility back but played centre against Souths and didn't look out of place.

Edit: Just seen Mullen in the squad for Saturday.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Phuzzy wrote:
The 3 mentioned seem to be the main ones but Mullen went well over in Aus yet seems to have dropped down the pecking order recently. Higginson too, who looked to be on the verge a year or so ago. I wonder why we seem to have more trouble bringing centres through than any other position?

* I know Mullen is more a utility back but played centre against Souths and didn't look out of place.

I think centre is the only position Mullen could hope to target, unless Escare moves on. He won't get in on the wing.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,218

Hard to say under new management because they’ll have fresh eyes on everyone and players will move up and down the pecking order. I’d read lads like Forsyth, Higginson and McAuley Davies had been shown the door months ago and you wouldn’t be surprised to see lads like Bretherton and Shorrocks follow them out the door. It is those lads like Shorrocks and Bretherton who you could see make a real challenge in pre season. If they’re motivated to get in to Lams plans and they have a bit of luck then you never know.

As for the rest I’ve been impressed with the bits I’ve seen of the likes of Partington, Kibula, Paisley and Mullen and all will have the chance to show what they’re made of. I’m a big fan of Jack Wells also who just needs an injury clear run to kick on. I’d love to think he’ll get that next year.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 pm
Posted by Father Ted on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 pm
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,218

AL and SE will be deciding the player roster for 2019. SE, I think, will want to increase the size of the Wigan forwards overall.
Bullock, Clubb, Greenwood fit this. Hamlin and Navarrete do not. Whether the squad players will stay or go we'll see but Bretherton may stay because of this.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,218

MadDogg wrote:

I do tend to agree and rather regrettably I’d probably add Josh Woods to the no future list. That being said I think Lammy would want to see all of the available squad and make a decision then, I certainly wouldn’t be critical if most of or all had another chance to impress.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

AshtonBearsARLFC
Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:53 am
Posted by Levrier on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:53 am
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,218

A couple of months ago now the RFL released a document showing who was contracted, who was definitely leaving and who had a future yet to be decided. I cannot recall who fell into those two latter groups. It did seem to suggest that Forsyth and Higginson were going. I feel sorry for Higginson because he has suffered so much with injury. I imagine that Worthington, whose loan at Toulose was not extended, could be added to that list but Bretherton was kept on by them so may have impressed.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 am
Posted by Blueblood on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 am
Blueblood Stevo's Armpit

Wells won't be going anywhere he's been unlucky with his injury once he gets a run he will be around the first team
Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 pm
Posted by hengirl on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 pm
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,218

Father Ted wrote:
AL and SE will be deciding the player roster for 2019. SE, I think, will want to increase the size of the Wigan forwards overall.
Bullock, Clubb, Greenwood fit this. Hamlin and Navarrete do not. Whether the squad players will stay or go we'll see but Bretherton may stay because of this.

I'd hope some size is number one the list of things to do
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,218

I'm sure I read that Bretherton, Macauley Davies and Higginson weren't being offered new contracts so they are almost certainly going unless the club have a change of heart. Since we've signed Hankinson I'm guessing Forsyth won't be offered a new contract.

Of the other fringe players, Worthington is in his final year at U19's level so it's too young to get rid. He's looked a decent player in the reserves and for the academy but has been very unlucky with injuries. We're not exactly blessed with centres so I think it's likely he'll stay.

I'd like us to keep Mullen as he's did so well in pre-season and has suffered more than most from the shambles of not having a reserve competition. Every time he does feature he plays well and in his debut away at Wakefield he did well in poor side. He's worth keeping. He offers utility value or he could be sent out on loan. I'm sure we turned down a loan offer from Salford mid season, which in hindsight seems to have held him back from getting the first team rugby he needs.

Ganson doesn't seem to be rated by Wane. There were plenty of opportunities to give him a chance but Wane has preferred shuffling positions around. He was our best U19's player last year without a doubt and so it makes sense to keep him. He's one of the smartest attacking players we have. It would be daft to let go of one of the best young hookers in the country, especially when he's always done well in his few first team outings.

Jack Wells needs to be kept. I have no idea what's happened to him this year as he got an ankle injury at the start of the year which was supposed to keep him out for 6 weeks and since then not a word has been said about him by Wane. Last year he showed lots of promise and in the U19's and for England Academy he was probably the best of his age group. With a bit of luck on the injury front he could be a top player.

I think of the ones still under contract Callum Field could be most at risk. He started off the season on the same footing as Navarrete and Hamlin (which did surprise me) but he's not really convinced in his first team games. It's hard to make a judgement on a prop when they are only 20 but with Hamlin doing so well, Partington and Kibula impressing and getting into the first team, Liam Byrne doing very well in the U19's plus Ben Kilner too, things are looking a bit crowded in the front row department.

Shorrocks may also leave if he wants to play regular first team rugby. He was steady at Salford but didn't show much to suggest he'll be a top player. He's probably got a better all round game than Woods but the things Woods does well (kicking and playmaking) happen to be the things our other halves seem to have a real problem with. Either way I don't think either will stay at the club too long with Harry Smith coming through.
Next