WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Current squad
Re: Current squad
Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:35 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:35 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3820
100% Warrior wrote:
The modern 13 is half prop half second row. George Williams never in a million years fulfils that criteria.

I do wonder if there’s something in the water around Wigan sometimes.


Yep! Ideally you want a 60 min prop with hands. That's why Lockers is so valuable. Good 13s are hard to find.
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 am
Posted by ChrisA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 am
ChrisA User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 1380
Location: Oldham.
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Yep! Ideally you want a 60 min prop with hands. That's why Lockers is so valuable. Good 13s are hard to find.


They are indeed, we have been fortunate. Farrell and Scully were followed by Lockersnst international level. Once Lockers goes there is a major void to fill for England, even more so Wigan.

For anyone that queries why I didn't mention Sinfield, he was a half back playing loose forward, rather than guys who can play like a prop and still handle a ball and control a game.
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am
Posted by moto748 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 2964
ChrisA wrote:
T

For anyone that queries why I didn't mention Sinfield, he was a half back playing loose forward,


Many people thought the reverse! :D
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3820
ChrisA wrote:
They are indeed, we have been fortunate. Farrell and Scully were followed by Lockersnst international level. Once Lockers goes there is a major void to fill for England, even more so Wigan.

For anyone that queries why I didn't mention Sinfield, he was a half back playing loose forward, rather than guys who can play like a prop and still handle a ball and control a game.


I think that's why many had high expectations for Westernman when he burst onto the scene, size, enough pace and good hands for a 'ball playing middle', those players are hard to come by. Sadly he never lived up to his potential.

Someone who fit the position perfectly is Jake Trbojevic.
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Posted by stpatricks on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 am
Posts: 898
Location: Wigan
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I think that's why many had high expectations for Westernman when he burst onto the scene, size, enough pace and good hands for a 'ball playing middle', those players are hard to come by. Sadly he never lived up to his potential.

Someone who fit the position perfectly is Jake Trbojevic.



Jake Trbojevic and Wade Graham both big tough and very skilful. Jai arrow another good young back row.
Wigan home of league
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1829
stpatricks wrote:
Jake Trbojevic and Wade Graham both big tough and very skilful. Jai arrow another good young back row.



Totally agree with all these. It’s a shame none of them would be realistic targets for us.
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm
Posted by Hull boys club fc on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm
Hull boys club fc Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 pm
Posts: 31
Jordan Abdull? Obviously I am biased slightly but he would/will be a cracking loose man
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1829
Hull boys club fc wrote:
Jordan Abdull? Obviously I am biased slightly but he would/will be a cracking loose man



Always looks overweight and unfit. Good hands though.
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm
Posted by Hull boys club fc on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm
Hull boys club fc Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 pm
Posts: 31
Bigredwarrior wrote:
Always looks overweight and unfit. Good hands though.

To be fair the year at rovers did him the world of good he came back hungry confident and a lot trimmer , a step quicker too , on his day he is one of the best but I feel he is very much a confidence player he is very very unlucky with injuries mind , they always seem to be bad ones and long term but he has all the attributes to be top class .
Re: Current squad
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm
Posted by jonh on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16756
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
I see some nonsense posted on here but the entire 13 debate takes the biscuit.

Anyone can be a 13 if you get the makeup of the rest of the team right.

The 13 is basically a floating player.

Example, you put a big pack ahead of a skillfull 13 then you can carry him.

Playing roles and responsibilities change with trends and styles of play.

You stick a big aggressive pack ahead of Williams of course he could be a 13.

He could also and in my opinion should have been a 9.

History is littered with 13s who can play 6 or 9 or centre or more recently Prop.

A 13 should be in your top 2 players. His style of play should be dictated by what the rest of the team lacks or requires.

Filter, Hanley, Barrett, Bird, Anasta, Lewis, Tongue, Hinchcliffe, Scunthorpe, Farrell, Cuthbertson all different players who have played and in some cases been world class in those positions who have also played 13 to a fantastic level in their respective teams as the style of their team required.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA and 47 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,798,18372577,2224,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 28th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Fri 5th Oct 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28