WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Gildart Signs
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 72nd / 77,447

Quiz Score: 80

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6153
Considering Gildart (seemingly) hasn’t been given marquee status, one could assume that Bateman would receive it or we have a signing in the pipeline (if Bateman goes)?
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 pm
Posted by DaveO on Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 62nd / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Chester

Wigg'n wrote:
Considering Gildart (seemingly) hasn’t been given marquee status, one could assume that Bateman would receive it or we have a signing in the pipeline (if Bateman goes)?


There is a rumour posted on the A&L facebook page from some NRL source that says both Sutton and Bateman are off to the Raiders.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 pm
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 pm
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 101st / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 678
DaveO wrote:
There is a rumour posted on the A&L facebook page from some NRL source that says both Sutton and Bateman are off to the Raiders.


They also said Gildart was going to Saints :wink:
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
Posted by jonh on Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 36
Rep Position: 85th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16835
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Bateman is not marquee status!
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 139
Rep Position: 20th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22394
Location: WIGAN
Phuzzy wrote:
I think you need to reacquaint yourself with his career. He was England A captain at 20, made his full Great Britain debut 2 years before Bateman and won Man of the series for Great Britain at the same age JB is now. He did not 'become the player we know' in his late 20s at all and certainly not just because you choose to remember it that way. On the other hand, if you prefer to ignore the facts then be my guest. The fact that he is STILL better than JB, aged 35, really should tell you the full story.



Lockers had this weird stigma attached to him in his early to mid twenties that he was some sort of average Joe (by a section of Wigan fans and most opposition fans) and it took that man of the series performance you mention, years worth of ridiculously consistent performances for Wigan and latterly another couple of international man of the series awards before pretty much everyone has been turned around.

John Bateman is top superleague quality and has the potential to be a good international player but he isn’t and won’t ever be in Sean O’Loughlins League. He doesn’t have the natural ball skills or size of Lockers. These two things combined have made him the World Class player he has been (and on the odd occasion he still is).
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm
Posted by hengirl on Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 22
Rep Position: 99th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am
Posts: 457
jonh wrote:
Bateman is not marquee status!

This!!

Good player but never a marquee one.
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 pm
Posted by jonh on Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 36
Rep Position: 85th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16835
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
NickyKiss wrote:
Lockers had this weird stigma attached to him in his early to mid twenties that he was some sort of average Joe (by a section of Wigan fans and most opposition fans) and it took that man of the series performance you mention, years worth of ridiculously consistent performances for Wigan and latterly another couple of international man of the series awards before pretty much everyone has been turned around.

John Bateman is top superleague quality and has the potential to be a good international player but he isn’t and won’t ever be in Sean O’Loughlins League. He doesn’t have the natural ball skills or size of Lockers. These two things combined have made him the World Class player he has been (and on the odd occasion he still is).


I remember meeting Rouges Gallery for the first time, we discussed the fact that people on this forum failed to understand just how good SOL was, he was the focus of lots of negative comments at the time by Wigan fans and opposition fans too.

It’s interesting to see some of the posters we discussed that day now raving about Locky.

Bateman has the mentality to be a World Class player.

He however lacks the physical gifts that others have.

Too small for a World Class forward, too slow for a World Class back.

I’d be more than happy to see Bateman leave if we could get an aging Hoffman back.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 pm
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 30
Rep Position: 91st / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 2970
Location: Serpo
Wow, re-signed a young lad that the club paid for and developed and he held the club to ransom, just like Tomkins.

Happy Clappers clapping, crowds are gone.

Long Live the Happy Clappers.

:CRAZY: :CRAZY: :CRAZY: :CRAZY:
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 41
Rep Position: 80th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3326
Location: Just about to go do some work!
NickyKiss wrote:
Lockers had this weird stigma attached to him in his early to mid twenties that he was some sort of average Joe (by a section of Wigan fans and most opposition fans) and it took that man of the series performance you mention, years worth of ridiculously consistent performances for Wigan and latterly another couple of international man of the series awards before pretty much everyone has been turned around.

John Bateman is top superleague quality and has the potential to be a good international player but he isn’t and won’t ever be in Sean O’Loughlins League. He doesn’t have the natural ball skills or size of Lockers. These two things combined have made him the World Class player he has been (and on the odd occasion he still is).

Couldn't agree more NK. I never got the negativity from certain fans as it just didn't equate with what we saw on the field, the opinion of his peers or, most tellingly that of the coaches he played under. I truly think the only reason was the old line that I heard peddled at the time that he wasn't Andy Farrell. As I used to say when I heard this "and Andy Farrell is no Ellery Hanley.. What's your point?"

Tbh, this is the main reason I called LSOW on his post. I thought we'd left this revisionist view in the trash heap of history where it belongs. Even opposition fans (well, enlightened ones anyway!) no longer subscribe to this view. I've seen Saints fans call him the best player in Superleague, I've seen Leeds fans say his withdrawal was the difference between us winning and losing the World cup this year. I guess it just galls me when our own fans trot out a long debunked line. Maybe it should be water off a duck's back by now! lol.

I'll share a little story with you though. When Daz Goulding was coming through the ranks I remember chatting to him (he was a good friend of a neighbour) and all he could talk about was how hard Gaz Hock was and how good Sean O'Loughlin was. I've seen nothing over the years to cast doubt on either of those appraisals! :lol:
Re: Gildart Signs
Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 139
Rep Position: 20th / 77,447

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22394
Location: WIGAN
jonh wrote:
I remember meeting Rouges Gallery for the first time, we discussed the fact that people on this forum failed to understand just how good SOL was, he was the focus of lots of negative comments at the time by Wigan fans and opposition fans too.

It’s interesting to see some of the posters we discussed that day now raving about Locky.

Bateman has the mentality to be a World Class player.

He however lacks the physical gifts that others have.

Too small for a World Class forward, too slow for a World Class back.

I’d be more than happy to see Bateman leave if we could get an aging Hoffman back.


I used to get terrorised on the Virtual Terrace especially when I was trying to explain just how good O’Loughlin was. It was a losing battle for a long time.

There have been very few players who can mix their game like Lockers and play to whatever role you need them to. That recent performance at Catalans pretty much summed him up.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueblood, exiled Warrior, KingRoss11, Pie Eyed, Pieman, Rogues Gallery, Sweaty Betty's, tedglen and 134 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,849,9131,61177,4474,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 14:00
 CH1
WEST WALES
v
LONDON SKOLARS
TODAY 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
SALFORD
TODAY 17:15
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
CASTLEFORD
TOMORROW 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 3rd Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 8th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 24th Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 31st Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 5th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 12th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 19th Apr 15:15
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Mon 22nd Apr 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 27th Apr 17:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 2nd May 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sat 18th May 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 9th Jun 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 14th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 21st Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28