WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Project Players - Yay or Nay?

Board index Super League Eights Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Project Players - Yay or Nay?

Re: Project Players - Yay or Nay?
Post Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,185

Quiz Score: 0

Levrier wrote:
Interesting to see a lad who came through our academy and was not considered good enough being brought back in another position. I always think that the salary cap means that we cannot make full use of our academy.

Or maybe not having a proper reserve grade competition?
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm
Posted by JWarriors on Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Speaking of props, whatever happened to Bretherton?
Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 pm
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,185

DaveO wrote:
Hamlin is on a two year deal so may leave after next season to return to Oz. I think if he is any good he will be off back home. Sutton is supposed to have left so I can see some sense in recruiting another prop.

At 25 this lad has the advantage of being more physically mature than any of your young players coming out of the academy. With the lack of a reserve grade unless you get some sort of freak it's hard to see how a young prop can be gradually progressed into the first team more so than a back. If this signing is true Barrow have basically been acting as Wigan reserves to produce a prop who at 25 ought to be physically ready to give it a shot in SL.

That said I don't think the club does itself any favours labelling players as "projects". He's 25 so he can't play in the academy set up so he is simply a new signing. It's as if the club is afraid of the reaction if we announce a new signing from Barrow so are excusing it by saying he is a project player.

I'd be more bothered if he was another 19 year old not 25 year old but for him at 25 the only way he is going to play is if he can break into the first team so he's not a project at all in my eyes.

Perhaps the question should not be "Project Players Yay or Nay" but "When are we going to sign a top player"? Apart from Hardaker who is only (potentially) available because of his past issues anyway I can't remember the last top player we were linked to despite senior players supposedly leaving.

Finding it hard to disagree with anything you’ve said there Dave. As for your last question could you have classed FPN as a big name? I’m leaving ever so slightly towards yes, despite his questionable performances. Prior to that Brett Finch/Ryan Hoffman I’d say.

It’s not really IL/SW’s policy to bring in big name recruits, it’s more their style to bring in developing players from either the academy or elsewhere, though not its biggest fan it is financially cost effective and we certainly can’t say it hasn’t produced success; whether we like the style of play or not.

I said this on another post but years ago we were clamouring for more British talent coming through the ranks and less Aussies. Now it has happened we’re now almost clamouring for the opposite, we can’t have it all ways. Perhaps we’ve swung the pendulum too far to British talent and need to find the balance, but thinking about in from an England RL perspective; coming within 6points of a World Cup, again can we really argue it isn’t working?
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

AshtonBearsARLFC
Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Wed May 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,185

Quiz Score: 80

Replacing a 22 year old NRL-bound prop for a 25 year old Championship prop is such a Wigan thing to do.
Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:56 pm
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Wed May 09, 2018 5:56 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JWarriors wrote:
Speaking of props, whatever happened to Bretherton?

He got injured in one of the pre-season friendlies or reserve games.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Wed May 09, 2018 6:00 pm
Posted by moto748 on Wed May 09, 2018 6:00 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,185

I just can't see Sutton as a starting prop in the NRL. Well,we'll see, I suppose.
Post Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 pm
Posted by MattyB on Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 pm
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,185

Signing a prop from the lower leagues is nothing new for Wigan. Even with a plethora of world class talent in our 1991 squad we nipped over to lowly Rochdale and signed Neil Cowie. He didnt do too bad did he?

To be honest, I don't think Wigan do this enough. Other clubs have had much success signing players from the lower leagues where we rarely do these days.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013 & 2016

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Post Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,185

MattyB wrote:
Signing a prop from the lower leagues is nothing new for Wigan. Even with a plethora of world class talent in our 1991 squad we nipped over to lowly Rochdale and signed Neil Cowie. He didnt do too bad did he?

To be honest, I don't think Wigan do this enough. Other clubs have had much success signing players from the lower leagues where we rarely do these days.

Fully agree. It’s been frustrating to see teams like Saints, Wire and Leeds have success with guys like Walmsley, Hill and Hardaker whilst we never seem to look that way. There doesn’t seem a better time to be looking at the Championship either because the league is stronger then it’s ever been and lads like Bullock have been impressing against full time professionals with very good pedigree at higher levels.
Post Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Posted by DaveO on Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

100% Warrior wrote:
Finding it hard to disagree with anything you’ve said there Dave. As for your last question could you have classed FPN as a big name? I’m leaving ever so slightly towards yes, despite his questionable performances. Prior to that Brett Finch/Ryan Hoffman I’d say.

It’s not really IL/SW’s policy to bring in big name recruits, it’s more their style to bring in developing players from either the academy or elsewhere, though not its biggest fan it is financially cost effective and we certainly can’t say it hasn’t produced success; whether we like the style of play or not.

I said this on another post but years ago we were clamouring for more British talent coming through the ranks and less Aussies. Now it has happened we’re now almost clamouring for the opposite, we can’t have it all ways. Perhaps we’ve swung the pendulum too far to British talent and need to find the balance, but thinking about in from an England RL perspective; coming within 6points of a World Cup, again can we really argue it isn’t working?

I'll give you FPN though I suspect many had never heard of him before he signed. As to the general point I am not suggesting we max out the overseas quota for the sake of it as many clubs did in the past but given IL was one pf the main proponents of the marquee rule that we actually make use of it assuming Sam T is off and we have a slot available. Sport is supposed to be entertaining and I'd like to see a signing that didn't give the impression the club's motivation was always cost first.

It may be cost effective to bring in developing players but it's basically boring if this a repeated time after time. I also wonder what the motivation is to bring in developing players when we supposedly have the best production line going. They just get in the way of the home grown talent and you still don't know how they will turn out. I don't put this potential signing from Barrow in that bracket and as someone else said this seems like a Neil Cowie type of recruit.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm
Posted by hengirl on Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,185

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Or maybe not having a proper reserve grade competition?

It certainly doesn't help these lads who bloom a little later than others.
PreviousNext