WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - o/t Over use of video ref again!

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com o/t Over use of video ref again!

o/t Over use of video ref again!
Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Posted by MR FRISK on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm
MR FRISK Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

In tonights game the ref decided that every try needed video evidence! including one that overruled the refs decison of a try that probably would have won there game at Leeds tonight the by Hull. One that would have been given with no cameras but there was a very mild obstruction given in back play! the game kicked off at 7.51pm instead of 7.45pm and 50 minutes for the first half and 49 mins in the second! with the game finishing at 9.45pm there video ref was called out 7 times

im glad sky cant mess arourd with the game on sun :IDEA:
Re: o/t Over use of video ref again!
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:49 am
Posted by moto748 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:49 am
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,907

Quiz Score: 0

I watched the Dragons/Broncos game tonight. Ben Hunt put a brilliant reverse kick into the in-goal, Widdop ran through and planted the ball. Great try, every one thought. But the ref blew up straightaway; offside. And, seeing the replay, he was spot on; Widdop was, just, offside. Not by much, but he was. And how refreshing that the ref had the confidence to call it in real time.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,907

I watched the game and to be honest, I didn’t enjoy it one bit. I thought to myself, if this was the first game of rugby league I’d ever watched, I wouldn’t watch another. That’s not because of the players or the game itself but because Robert Hicks killed it. Surely we can’t continue the way we’re going!
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 am
Posted by Grimmy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,907

Quiz Score: 248

Controversial, but I'd just leave tell the on-field officials to officiate the game on their own, and restrict use of the video ref solely to the following:

1. Coaches get two challenges, the video ref reviews, and goes with the original call unless there is clear evidence it is wrong. If both challenges are used correctly, they can continue to challenge until they are wrong. This would hopefully mitigate some of the moaning that goes on after games as well, as the retort would be "Well why didn't you challenge it?"

2. I'd allow the video ref to intervene to advise of foul play warranting a sin bin or dismissal, so that serious foul play is dealt with in the same game rather than retrospectively.

My way would probably mean we get less calls correct, but I think it would improve the atmosphere and flow of the game, which is more important IMO.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,907

Grimmy wrote:
Controversial, but I'd just leave tell the on-field officials to officiate the game on their own, and restrict use of the video ref solely to the following:

1. Coaches get two challenges, the video ref reviews, and goes with the original call unless there is clear evidence it is wrong. If both challenges are used correctly, they can continue to challenge until they are wrong. This would hopefully mitigate some of the moaning that goes on after games as well, as the retort would be "Well why didn't you challenge it?"

2. I'd allow the video ref to intervene to advise of foul play warranting a sin bin or dismissal, so that serious foul play is dealt with in the same game rather than retrospectively.

My way would probably mean we get less calls correct, but I think it would improve the atmosphere and flow of the game, which is more important IMO.

I’ve said similar in the past but captains get 1 challenge each half. If the challenge is correct, they get another but if it’s incorrect and the original decision stands then no further challenges would be allowed in that half.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 pm
Posted by Ashton Bears on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 pm
Ashton Bears User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Do away with the Refs call Try or No try, the Ref should ask the video Ref to decide.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 pm
Posted by nikos on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 pm
nikos User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,907

keep the video ref but make it by appeal, like in tennis, maybe 3 per match per team.

Otherwise go by what the ref sees on the field.
Wellens 3/10 Like public transport. Late, slow and stunk

FIOS
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Posted by Geoff on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:

I like the idea, which works well in the NFL, my only concern would be that, unlike the NFL, the coaches wouldn’t get to see replays quickly enough to decide whether a challenge is worthwhile or not, they’re usually not well-placed enough on the sidelines to get a clear view live.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,907

Quiz Score: 248

Geoff wrote:
I like the idea, which works well in the NFL, my only concern would be that, unlike the NFL, the coaches wouldn’t get to see replays quickly enough to decide whether a challenge is worthwhile or not, they’re usually not well-placed enough on the sidelines to get a clear view live.

Could be wrong but don't they have tablets showing the sky coverage? I'm sure I've seen that. You could also have the players signal to the coach of course
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 pm
Posted by Geoff on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 pm
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Could be wrong but don't they have tablets showing the sky coverage? I'm sure I've seen that. You could also have the players signal to the coach of course

Yeah, true, the tablet idea would work. Not sure about the players, though, they always think they're right! Bit like cricket, where the fast bowlers always think they’ve got a wicket!

I do think your idea is an improvement on what we already have, though!
Next