Re: Wigan v Widnes academy
Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:42 am
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:42 am
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,905

Quiz Score: 0

As Rogues said the Widnes 11 really caused problems in the first half. I think it's Sam Walters and if so he's only a first year but looks very promising indeed. Our right edge wasn't the most experienced and possibly a little bit lightweight and really struggled to bring him down. In the second half they did a better job in keeping him contained. Harry Smith is a really aggressive defender which is great to see.

Partington and Kibula were below par but we were always going to need Samy on when the game was tight because he's so hard for tired defenders to stop. I thought Kilner did well but his upright running style might see him struggle as he moves up a level.

Joe Brown had one of the best games I've seen from him which is good because I thought he was disappointing last year. He ran the ball in very well and was dangerous when he got some space. Sam Grant was excellent too but didn't really see enough of the ball. His footwork is unbelievable and he's deceptively strong too.

Joe Shorrocks was good and probably the one who turned the game. He's got a good mix of power, pace and footwork.

Having Barran at 6 and Green at fullback didn't really work. I'm guessing they were just experimenting as Barran has always seemed more of an outside back and Green seems more comfortable in the halves.

Amir Burrouh caught the eye with his running from dummy half and Ethan Havard was strong off the bench.
Previous