WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Have we lost our way in the search for innovation?

Board index Super League Eights Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Have we lost our way in the search for innovation?

Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,218

Quiz Score: 0

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I’m sorry mate but you always seem to look for negatives, no matter what we do or how we play. The fact is, we beat Hull and beat them very well. You talk about them being disrupted and you’re right, they were. However, you don’t acknowledge how disrupted Wigan were the last 2 years, only stating that they are a poor side, playing poor rugby who are poorly coached. You can’t have it both ways.

There’s an awful lot of rugby to be played yet so let’s just see how things pan out. We played good rugby against Salford no matter how poor they may have been and we played some very good rugby against Hull. Warrington were better than us on Friday and might well have better better than us even if we hadn’t been to Australia. We’ll never know. Let’s just get behind the lads and hope that the shoots of promise shown in the first 2 games develop into a strong season!

I discuss areas for improvement when we need improvement. I'm not negative minded at all.

Don't forget this is primarily a discussion of tactics and the way we play, and how in search of innovation, have we lost track of the key ingredients which make a successful team.
Posted by moto748 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,218

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
Maguire never got Souths to play a particularly expansive style - for long periods of his tenure they were not that entertaining, with the focus being more on brute force than anything else. To be fair to him that was partly a function of the players he had - a top form Inglis, George Burgess on fire and Sam Burgess playing like a man possessed for what he thought was his last season in RL.

I think his style was a bit too basic to last long-term as it required some physical beasts to be at the top of their form to work, and once the wheels fell off they did so big time. It has to be said as well though that the Storm have only been able to play the way they do because they've had Slater, Cronk and Smith as the spine of their side for a decade. Once Slater and Smith go it'll be very interesting to see how the Storm go.

This. Tactics aside, a large part of the reason for Melbourne's success is that they do have that wonderful spine. And their Big Three make very few mistakes. Choosing the right option is what makes Smith the great player he is. Plus they have the two best wingers in the comp.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:07 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,218

moto748 wrote:
This. Tactics aside, a large part of the reason for Melbourne's success is that they do have that wonderful spine. And their Big Three make very few mistakes. Choosing the right option is what makes Smith the great player he is. Plus they have the two best wingers in the comp.

Also hard to deny their work ethic and how Storm seem to get the most out of their players. At times a player looks a superstar at storm then once they move they don't seem half the player. I've also seen this in reverse. Very interested to see how big Sam Kas goes for them, looks in great shape since making the move down from the doggies.
Previous