WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Have we lost our way in the search for innovation?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Have we lost our way in the search for innovation?

Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,914

Quiz Score: 0

I feel we've escaped/lost our way with what makes a winning team. A RL formula has it's basic ingredients, I feel with pushing for invention, we've lost track of what makes a winning team.

Basics (Just watch origin the pinnacle of RL to see how important they are)

-Hard yards. a strong pack with go forward. Goal is to end all sets with an attacking kicking not a defensive clearance. Currently I feel our pack is too small. doesn't have the go forward to gain us field position to play off the back of.
-Key kicking off the 5th tackle. Don't always try to score with each play, build pressure from kicks, make the opposition work hard on their exit sets, tire them out.
-Line speed. Tackle with pace as a unit, hit hard meeting the opposition hurting them and nullifying the metres they make per drive.

Instead with try and play expansive throwing the ball around in our own half, have our wingers on exit sets etc.

We need build first.

This is not even considering how we bring on basically a 3rd prop or SR to replace a ball playing 13 in Lockers. Nulling our link.

Keep it simple.

-Centres who find wingers and drawing in their opposite number.
-Wingers who are good in D, not just going forward.
-A pack with go forward.
-Halves who can dictate, drive the pack forward and kick

This is just the start.
Posted by RichieS on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm
RichieS User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Three games in.....soooooo much negativity :roll:
MusclePharm Brand Manager
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

RichieS wrote:
Three games in.....soooooo much negativity :roll:

Not 3 games though is it. Don't you remember last season? Consider the way we play. I wouldn't consider this negativity, just a discussion on the way we play. Looking to improve isn't a negative.
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,914

Is it April 1st?

5 grand finals in last 4 years. I’d say that quite a winning team!

You were amongst the biggest critics of taking a game to Oz, I’d say that was innovative!

We all know last season was pants but have a minute. I’ve seen enough this season to be confident we’ll have a very good year. The loss at Warrington doesn’t mean the whole club is in meltdown.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Is it April 1st?

5 grand finals in last 4 years. I’d say that quite a winning team!

You were amongst the biggest critics of taking a game to Oz, I’d say that was innovative!

We all know last season was pants but have a minute. I’ve seen enough this season to be confident we’ll have a very good year. The loss at Warrington doesn’t mean the whole club is in meltdown.

I was a critic of taking the game to Oz? Nope. Not at all. I saw it for what it was; a money making exercise to fund the club. Not critical at all.

In terms of how we play, I'm referring to more recent seasons. PS The last season we won the GF we vastly underperformed in many games of that season.
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,914

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I was a critic of taking the game to Oz? Nope. Not at all. I saw it for what it was; a money making exercise to fund the club. Not critical at all.

In terms of how we play, I'm referring to more recent seasons. PS The last season we won the GF we vastly underperformed in many games of that season.

Apologies, I thought u were against the Oz idea. There’s no double that we needed to improve the style of play and Warrington apart, I think the signs are there that we have taken steps to do so. I wasn’t getting over excited after Salford or Hull but I won’t be overly despondent about the Warrington performance either. There’s a long way to go but I’m confident that if we can stay relatively injury free, we’ll have our best season in years.
Posted by sergeant pepper on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,914

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I

Keep it simple.

-Centres who find wingers and drawing in their opposite number.
-Wingers who are good in D, not just going forward.
-A pack with go forward.
-Halves who can dictate, drive the pack forward and kick

This is just the start.

So basically what we had under Madge.

We've come so far from the simple & hard hitting standards he set.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Posted by NickyKiss on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,914

I’d give it until at least 10pm on Friday before we draw too many conclusions on what has it hasn’t been fixed or what needs fixing up. We were very good for two games and poor for one (refuse to even count the Souths game as it was nothing but an exhibition). There we’re mitigating factors behind that Wire display (we hope).

I’ll judge how we’re looking overall probably after Cas away.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Apologies, I thought u were against the Oz idea. There’s no double that we needed to improve the style of play and Warrington apart, I think the signs are there that we have taken steps to do so. I wasn’t getting over excited after Salford or Hull but I won’t be overly despondent about the Warrington performance either. There’s a long way to go but I’m confident that if we can stay relatively injury free, we’ll have our best season in years.

The lack of yards the forwards seem to be making. The size of our forwards, and the wingers getting involved in exit sets etc, all seem to be part of our play which can be ineffective.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

sergeant pepper wrote:
So basically what we had under Madge.

We've come so far from the simple & hard hitting standards he set.

I was a massive fan of Madge. He was tough and demanding. Focused on the basics and doing them very well. You can see Madge worked with Craig Bellemy at Storm, same ethos and mentality. It's tough to play for no doubt, but clearly works. Look at how Madge turned us around, and look at how Storm consistently perform at a high level.
Next