WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Changes
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 pm
Posted by JonnyBroad on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 pm
JonnyBroad Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,185

Quiz Score: 0

Lets give Wire some credit (nobody hates them more than me), but there defence patterns were very good.making our quick attacking from previous games look pedestrian again. Lets be realistic we have been to Warrington and been beat by more on several occasions and gone on to win silverware. Its nothing to do with Australia, i went to work the day after i got back. For me we got beat by the better team on the night,next stop Widnes.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:32 pm
Posted by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:32 pm
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 19th / 77,185

WARRIOR5 wrote:
Yes I fully understand that. I know a lot of people wanting significant changes following last season. Like you said, more of a knee jerk reaction. But then two games later everyone is being positive, one bad game after that and it’s back to a clear out.

Now I am not saying the team is perfect, it’s not. And I’m not saying there aren’t things to improve on, kicking on the last being one of my main issues... but we have a strong group of players and a coach who despite the criticism (I can probably include myself in that) has a proven track record.

Of course improvements are needed, I just don’t think the shift in many peoples outlook is needed after one bad game.

I suspect it's panic more than anything else. We had a horrible year in 2017, and people just can't stand the thought that we might be slipping back into that again.

If losing becomes a habit in 2018, as it did last year, I suspect the club will take some kind of decisive action - and there may well be a clear-out (among the coaching staff, if not the players).

Personally, I'm just going to sit tight and hope for the best.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 pm
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

JonnyBroad wrote:
Lets give Wire some credit (nobody hates them more than me), but there defence patterns were very good.making our quick attacking from previous games look pedestrian again. Lets be realistic we have been to Warrington and been beat by more on several occasions and gone on to win silverware. Its nothing to do with Australia, i went to work the day after i got back. For me we got beat by the better team on the night,next stop Widnes.

I half agree with what you’re saying re Warrington I don’t think it’s quite the disaster some are making it out to be.

But I think it’s hard not to blame Australia. I’m making assumptions but assume you are not a professional athlete. Going back to work is not quite the same as playing one of the most physical games in the world against a very strong (on paper) Warrington squad.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 pm
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Cruncher wrote:
I suspect it's panic more than anything else. We had a horrible year in 2017, and people just can't stand the thought that we might be slipping back into that again.

If losing becomes a habit in 2018, as it did last year, I suspect the club will take some kind of decisive action - and there may well be a clear-out (among the coaching staff, if not the players).

Agreed! If we do make a habit of it then I’ll jump on the bandwagon and demand changes. But this early I will also sit and hope.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,185

Usually we wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a lethargic display like that 4 days after the players have come off a long haul flight but as pointed out it’s the fact that it was an absolute mirror image of many games in 2017 that worries us all. The props were awful and that lead to a lack of room to play in and meant our long kicking game suffered as we were trying to clear it from our 30/40m zone.

One thing the props weren’t to blame for was the fact that we don’t have a winger or fullback at the club who looks capable of taking a high ball in traffic. I saw a review of the game on YouTube by the Wigan rugby blog chap and he spoke of Marshall’s poor defence in dealing with high kicks. I thought to speak about one guy was quite harsh considering I struggle to think of many times Davies or Escare have taken a contested one. I love what Davies brings to the team but that’s a real weakness for him and us.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Sweaty Betty's Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,185

NickyKiss wrote:
Usually we wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a lethargic display like that 4 days after the players have come off a long haul flight but as pointed out it’s the fact that it was an absolute mirror image of many games in 2017 that worries us all. The props were awful and that lead to a lack of room to play in and meant our long kicking game suffered as we were trying to clear it from our 30/40m zone.

One thing the props weren’t to blame for was the fact that we don’t have a winger or fullback at the club who looks capable of taking a high ball in traffic. I saw a review of the game on YouTube by the Wigan rugby blog chap and he spoke of Marshall’s poor defence in dealing with high kicks. I thought to speak about one guy was quite harsh considering I struggle to think of many times Davies or Escare have taken a contested one. I love what Davies brings to the team but that’s a real weakness for him and us.

Why don't we get Hampo to coach them?
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:30 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:30 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,185

Sweaty Betty's wrote:

Get the trampolines out :D

They need something. It’s a shambles at points. I watch us put kicks up in an attacking position and the opposition never seem to have too many problems but at the opposite end my heart is in my mouth. Even a beanpole like Burgess isn’t particularly good at grabbing them.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,185

Cruncher wrote:

I with you Cruncher on this.
I couldn't get to the game due to work commitments and if I'm honest I am not a good loser so the chances of me watching the game on Wigan tv are virtually zero after listening to the game live on the radio where we sounded pretty poor.
Having never flown to or from Australia so I have no idea of the impact I am just hoping that jet lag was the major reason for a poor display however, one or two postings on here suggest it was more than just the travelling.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,185

Sweaty Betty's wrote:

A great idea.
Hampo was a great servant to the club and is I believe still very fit so wouldn't be too out of place on the training field.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm
Posted by phibes on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm
phibes Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

NickyKiss wrote:

And I think it's the fact that those tactics that lost us the game on Friday were the same ones we saw throughout last season that's frustrated so many on here. It's not just the loss, it's as much a feeling that watching Wigan in 2018 will be much the same as watching them in 2017, but without an injury crisis to blame it on.

The way the forwards played on Friday meant there was no decent field position, and without that, it doesn't matter who's playing in the halves or at full-back.

Lets hope it was jet-lag and see how the next 2-3 games pan out
PreviousNext