Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,907

Quiz Score: 0

The_Enforcer wrote:
Who came up with the idea of standing back and allowing the opposition to advance to save energy? its the craziest thing ive ever heard especially for a small team like we have. Its much more difficult to stop a bigger team if they are running at full tilt and you are stood back waiting for them to run into you. I dont know of any team in the world that uses this insane tactic. The idea is to play the game away from your own try line, not allow the opposition to get into an attacking position in every set. Line speed in defence is one of the most prominent things that stands out whenever you watch Australia.

Absolutely spot on. The game for me is being ruined by such tactics.
Re: Changes
Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,907

Wane seem to be trying to play all his favourites in every game, a better approach in this high intensity sport would to be to play similar players like Powell and Luluei on a rotation at hooker, possibly three games on and three off. Personally I see them as both hookers rather than backs. We could also use Escare as a spelling hooker although I would rather see him as a fullback. What about Josh Woods, he is not the quickest but he is more of a ball player than any of our starters.
Last edited by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,907

BTW did anyone look at the Warrington game and think "What we really need to solve all of our problems is a new fullback with an attitude problem"? :twisted:
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 am
Posted by hatty on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 am
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,907

Levrier wrote:
BTW did anyone look at the Warrington game and think "What we really need to solve all of our problems is a new fullback with an attitude problem"? :twisted:

Not exactly,but the thought of bringing in new blood and clearing out some deadwood sprang to mind.
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am
Posted by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 19th / 76,907

hatty wrote:
Not exactly,but the thought of bringing in new blood and clearing out some deadwood sprang to mind.

I must agree.

I don't know how anyone can watch Wigan at present - last season or this - and not think 'we need better players'.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Everyone was booking Grand Final tickets after the Hull game. One bad game four days after returning from Aus and people want a clear out...
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
Posted by hatty on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

WARRIOR5 wrote:
Everyone was booking Grand Final tickets after the Hull game. One bad game four days after returning from Aus and people want a clear out...

I think you will find that people have been wanting a clear out well before the Hull game.
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Posted by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 19th / 76,907

WARRIOR5 wrote:

I called for a clear-out at the end of last season. And more in hope than expectation, as it's really not that simple.

During the off-season, as the pain of 2017 lessened, I reassessed and felt that maybe I'd just given a kneejerk reaction to an abnormally bad year.

But let's not pretend that some of the problems of 2017 did not re-manifest against Warrington. The pack offered us zero go-forward, and the halfbacks were clueless. (The threequarters didn't do much either, if I'm honest - but for me the game was lost in the territory we DIDN'T gain during our sets of six).

Admittedly, there were other factors relevant to last Friday - not least the round-the-world trip Wigan had just made. But one of my main gripes of last year, that man-for-man we simply aren't as good as we used to be, has not really been rectified. I'm not going to get on Sarge's case, but let's be honest - he's a nothing replacement for Gelling (who was only marginally better). FPN won't be missed on last year's form, but it's a body we haven't yet replaced.

Someone asked a few posts ago if adding a star-quality full back would make any difference to our lacklustre form.

My response is that star-quality of any sort should be welcomed at Wigan under the current circs.
Last edited by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Hatty, I apologise for sharing an ounce of positivity.

I will rephrase then, a large number of people had been very positive about our first two games and style of play. One bad game having only just returned from Australia and a large number of people are now wanting a clear out.

Is that better?
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Cruncher wrote:
I called for a clear-out at the end of last season. And more in hope than expectation, as it's really not that simple.

During the off-season, as the pain of 2017 lessened, I reassessed and felt that maybe I'd just given a kneejerk reaction to an abnormally bad year.

But let's not pretend that some of the problems of 2017 did not re-manifest against Warrington. The pack offered us zero go-forward, and the halfbacks were clueless. (The threequarters didn't do much either, if I'm honest - but for me the game was lost in the territory we DIDN'T gain during our sets of six).

Admittedly, there were other factors relevant to last Friday - not least the round-the-world trip Wigan had just made. But one of my main gripes of last year, that man-for-man we simply aren't as good as we used to be, has not really been rectified. I'm not going to get on Sarge's case, but let's be honest - he's a nothing replacement for Gelling (who was only marginally better). FPN won't be missed on last year's form, but it's a body we haven't yet replaced.

Someone asked a few posts ago if adding a star-quality full back would make any difference to our lacklustre form.

My response is that star-quality of any sort should be welcomed at Wigan under the current circs.

Yes I fully understand that. I know a lot of people wanting significant changes following last season. Like you said, more of a knee jerk reaction. But then two games later everyone is being positive, one bad game after that and it’s back to a clear out.

Now I am not saying the team is perfect, it’s not. And I’m not saying there aren’t things to improve on, kicking on the last being one of my main issues... but we have a strong group of players and a coach who despite the criticism (I can probably include myself in that) has a proven track record.

Of course improvements are needed, I just don’t think the shift in many peoples outlook is needed after one bad game.
PreviousNext