WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Changes
Re: Changes
Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 17
Rep Position: 94th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1298
Location: God's little acre
The_Enforcer wrote:
Who came up with the idea of standing back and allowing the opposition to advance to save energy? its the craziest thing ive ever heard especially for a small team like we have. Its much more difficult to stop a bigger team if they are running at full tilt and you are stood back waiting for them to run into you. I dont know of any team in the world that uses this insane tactic. The idea is to play the game away from your own try line, not allow the opposition to get into an attacking position in every set. Line speed in defence is one of the most prominent things that stands out whenever you watch Australia.

Absolutely spot on. The game for me is being ruined by such tactics.
Re: Changes
Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 84th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 844
Wane seem to be trying to play all his favourites in every game, a better approach in this high intensity sport would to be to play similar players like Powell and Luluei on a rotation at hooker, possibly three games on and three off. Personally I see them as both hookers rather than backs. We could also use Escare as a spelling hooker although I would rather see him as a fullback. What about Josh Woods, he is not the quickest but he is more of a ball player than any of our starters.
Last edited by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Changes
Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 84th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 844
BTW did anyone look at the Warrington game and think "What we really need to solve all of our problems is a new fullback with an attitude problem"? :twisted:
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 am
Posted by hatty on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 am
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 85th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 2961
Location: wigan...where else!!
Levrier wrote:
BTW did anyone look at the Warrington game and think "What we really need to solve all of our problems is a new fullback with an attitude problem"? :twisted:

Not exactly,but the thought of bringing in new blood and clearing out some deadwood sprang to mind.
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am
Posted by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 81
Rep Position: 39th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 13975
hatty wrote:
Not exactly,but the thought of bringing in new blood and clearing out some deadwood sprang to mind.


I must agree.

I don't know how anyone can watch Wigan at present - last season or this - and not think 'we need better players'.
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 121
Everyone was booking Grand Final tickets after the Hull game. One bad game four days after returning from Aus and people want a clear out...
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
Posted by hatty on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 85th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 2961
Location: wigan...where else!!
WARRIOR5 wrote:
Everyone was booking Grand Final tickets after the Hull game. One bad game four days after returning from Aus and people want a clear out...

I think you will find that people have been wanting a clear out well before the Hull game.
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Posted by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 81
Rep Position: 39th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 13975
WARRIOR5 wrote:
Everyone was booking Grand Final tickets after the Hull game. One bad game four days after returning from Aus and people want a clear out...


I called for a clear-out at the end of last season. And more in hope than expectation, as it's really not that simple.

During the off-season, as the pain of 2017 lessened, I reassessed and felt that maybe I'd just given a kneejerk reaction to an abnormally bad year.

But let's not pretend that some of the problems of 2017 did not re-manifest against Warrington. The pack offered us zero go-forward, and the halfbacks were clueless. (The threequarters didn't do much either, if I'm honest - but for me the game was lost in the territory we DIDN'T gain during our sets of six).

Admittedly, there were other factors relevant to last Friday - not least the round-the-world trip Wigan had just made. But one of my main gripes of last year, that man-for-man we simply aren't as good as we used to be, has not really been rectified. I'm not going to get on Sarge's case, but let's be honest - he's a nothing replacement for Gelling (who was only marginally better). FPN won't be missed on last year's form, but it's a body we haven't yet replaced.

Someone asked a few posts ago if adding a star-quality full back would make any difference to our lacklustre form.

My response is that star-quality of any sort should be welcomed at Wigan under the current circs.
Last edited by Cruncher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 121
Hatty, I apologise for sharing an ounce of positivity.

I will rephrase then, a large number of people had been very positive about our first two games and style of play. One bad game having only just returned from Australia and a large number of people are now wanting a clear out.

Is that better?
Re: Changes
Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm
WARRIOR5 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 121
Cruncher wrote:
I called for a clear-out at the end of last season. And more in hope than expectation, as it's really not that simple.

During the off-season, as the pain of 2017 lessened, I reassessed and felt that maybe I'd just given a kneejerk reaction to an abnormally bad year.

But let's not pretend that some of the problems of 2017 did not re-manifest against Warrington. The pack offered us zero go-forward, and the halfbacks were clueless. (The threequarters didn't do much either, if I'm honest - but for me the game was lost in the territory we DIDN'T gain during our sets of six).

Admittedly, there were other factors relevant to last Friday - not least the round-the-world trip Wigan had just made. But one of my main gripes of last year, that man-for-man we simply aren't as good as we used to be, has not really been rectified. I'm not going to get on Sarge's case, but let's be honest - he's a nothing replacement for Gelling (who was only marginally better). FPN won't be missed on last year's form, but it's a body we haven't yet replaced.

Someone asked a few posts ago if adding a star-quality full back would make any difference to our lacklustre form.

My response is that star-quality of any sort should be welcomed at Wigan under the current circs.


Yes I fully understand that. I know a lot of people wanting significant changes following last season. Like you said, more of a knee jerk reaction. But then two games later everyone is being positive, one bad game after that and it’s back to a clear out.

Now I am not saying the team is perfect, it’s not. And I’m not saying there aren’t things to improve on, kicking on the last being one of my main issues... but we have a strong group of players and a coach who despite the criticism (I can probably include myself in that) has a proven track record.

Of course improvements are needed, I just don’t think the shift in many peoples outlook is needed after one bad game.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,828,35164877,3454,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 31st Jan 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 8th Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 17th Feb 19:00
WCC2019
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Sun 24th Feb 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 3rd Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 8th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 24th Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 31st Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 5th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 12th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 19th Apr 15:15
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Mon 22nd Apr 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 27th Apr 17:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 2nd May 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sat 18th May 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 9th Jun 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 14th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 21st Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28