WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan name 19 for Warrington.

Board index Super League Eights Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Wigan name 19 for Warrington.

Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1276
Location: God's little acre
Jukesays wrote:
Correct
Joel done pretty well for me (i accept hes given a couple of niggly penalties away as usual) but hes made decent yards, added size and some good defense with 25 plus tackles per game.

Gelling/fpn/sarge and now Joel.
Like groundhog day with some

Like yourself I'm fine with JT this season apart from the odd daft penalty. I was critical last season of him but so far a reasonable solid start to the season.
I take it that you would preferred that we had retained FPN Jukesie?
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:26 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:26 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22128
Location: WIGAN
Jukesays wrote:
I don't get this bit.
Where does this bit about attitude and desire come from?
Like you say he was very good 2014/15
He started season very well 2017 up until his injury.
He played out of position occasionally and didn't sulk?

Back end of the year he had a few good games and showed glimpses of his early season form but suffered like everyone else did.

He needs a run of games, I remember offiah struggling 93 ish and just couldn't get going, and whilst I'm obviously not comparing him ability wise he's a similar style of winger where his pace etc. Give him the confidence.

He'll get his chances and in the mean time I hope he works hard, I just haven't seen any other evidence of where his application or desire should be questioned other than people having an issue with his comment that he's like to go back to the NRL one day and people taking offence to it.
His best chance of that is to perform for Wigan and that would be best for both parties in he long run.


His work rate is poor, he doesn’t look like he fancies the tough carries out of his own end, he looked like he didn’t want to be there at points when playing at centre last year when opposition second rowers/centres would run at him, he looks too heavy and his comments and general demeanour smack of a lad that sees his Wigan career as a fallback option and very much second best. Is it desire, application, attitude? I’m not sure but he wasn’t on his own as you point out.

That’s honestly how I’ve seen him since he’s come back. I believe he’s massively talented but I also don’t think he applies himself as he could. He certainly doesn’t play at full throttle like you always see guys like Davies, Marshall and Manfredi do. There’s time for him to change that and that’s why I’m happy to see him being left out currently because it should give him a shake up.

There’s no doubting his talent.
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Posted by Jukesays on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 5520
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Like yourself I'm fine with JT this season apart from the odd daft penalty. I was critical last season of him but so far a reasonable solid start to the season.
I take it that you would preferred that we had retained FPN Jukesie?


Not at all, I just think he did a decent solid job last year whilst not earning the big bucks he was getting (but that's not his fault what the club paid him).

If he wants to go then pretty much like anyone else i believe it's the best allround.
However
What I was referring to is the constant need by some fans to pick scapegoats, their belief that if we get rid of player "x" like they suggest then the club would be better, constantly having digs at certain players (or coaches) just to promote their personal agendas/feelings and to be honest with you making up or telling half stories to get them across.

I've seen people state things as "Fact" that are based on what others have portrayed as Fact that aren't.

Apologies, went off track there, top line is I think wanes currently picking the right 19 to deal with the job in hand, but the people currently on the fringes will ALL have big parts to play this year and I dont think picking faults just to promote 1 idea or opinion over another does anyone any good.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm
Posted by moto748 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 2958
Hamlin will get his chance; we have a whole season front of us.
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 6838
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Apparently Hamlin scored a 70 metre try for the reserves tonight against Keighley.
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am
Posted by Nnibly_Warrior on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am
Nnibly_Warrior User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 138
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
MadDogg wrote:
Apparently Hamlin scored a 70 metre try for the reserves tonight against Keighley.


Just watched the highlights on WiganTV, he did indeed score a long range try, off a lovely inside ball close to the defensive line from Kibula. Hamlin didn't appear to play any part of the second half for some reason though.
Wigan Rugby Club, Best in all the Land
Marching On to Wembley and Singing with the Band
At Home We Are Unbeatable, Away We are Supreme
So Give Us a Cheer, The Lads are Here
The Wigan Rugby Team!!
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 am
Posted by moto748 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 am
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 2958
Some nice scores there.
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13073
Nnibly_Warrior wrote:
Just watched the highlights on WiganTV, he did indeed score a long range try, off a lovely inside ball close to the defensive line from Kibula. Hamlin didn't appear to play any part of the second half for some reason though.

Perhaps hooked up to an oxygen tank :lol: a 70m try is some effort from a forward!
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 am
Posted by Jukesays on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 am
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 5520
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
NickyKiss wrote:
His work rate is poor, he doesn’t look like he fancies the tough carries out of his own end, he looked like he didn’t want to be there at points when playing at centre last year when opposition second rowers/centres would run at him, he looks too heavy and his comments and general demeanour smack of a lad that sees his Wigan career as a fallback option and very much second best. Is it desire, application, attitude? I’m not sure but he wasn’t on his own as you point out.

That’s honestly how I’ve seen him since he’s come back. I believe he’s massively talented but I also don’t think he applies himself as he could. He certainly doesn’t play at full throttle like you always see guys like Davies, Marshall and Manfredi do. There’s time for him to change that and that’s why I’m happy to see him being left out currently because it should give him a shake up.

There’s no doubting his talent.


His work rate has never been the greatest, it's my biggest gripe about him. Don't necessarily agree that he looked like he didn't want to be here when playing in the centre's. I don't see any evidence of that and would suggest there were far greater issues.
In your quote you've said "he looked like", "his general demeanour", "a lad who sees Wigan as his fallback option (I'll say more on this later), "he doesn't apply himself as he could".
I don't perceive that too be evidence based more an opinion or observation. A
All if the above I would suggest raised their head more to do with the whole teams lethargy rather than anything individually he didn't do. Looking back at his record last year he actually did very well first half or So of the season and his try scoring record was as good as it's always been. I reckon he had 15 or so in his first 15 games If not more?

It also coincided with the introduction and the performances of Davies and Marshall. Whilst agreeing that their work rate is superior to budgies I don't agree that this only just happened. Budgies work rate needed to improve BEFORE he left the club.
He does however offer different attributes and certainly his all round game is superior to Marshalls (currently and when fit).
However I agree if he doesn't get his head down and does react badly (Not that he has before) then any ideas he may have of one day trying NRL again will be harder to come by as he won't be putting himself out there to be seen/wanted.
What I want is for the "x" years of his contract, I want to see him perform as well as he Can. If that leads to opportunities elsewhere then that's a whole different debate. But while he is here then I want to get the best out of him, and I don't believe his attitude or performances have been bad, in fact they've been pretty good imo.
He does look a bit off presently but since he picked up that injury 5mins I to Leigh pre season game I would suggest he's 4/5 weeks behind others fitness etc wise. That may have a bigger effect than any perceived judgement of his attitude or desire.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: Wigan name 19 for Warrington.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,154

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22128
Location: WIGAN
Jukesays wrote:
His work rate has never been the greatest, it's my biggest gripe about him. Don't necessarily agree that he looked like he didn't want to be here when playing in the centre's. I don't see any evidence of that and would suggest there were far greater issues.
In your quote you've said "he looked like", "his general demeanour", "a lad who sees Wigan as his fallback option (I'll say more on this later), "he doesn't apply himself as he could".
I don't perceive that too be evidence based more an opinion or observation. A
All if the above I would suggest raised their head more to do with the whole teams lethargy rather than anything individually he didn't do. Looking back at his record last year he actually did very well first half or So of the season and his try scoring record was as good as it's always been. I reckon he had 15 or so in his first 15 games If not more?

It also coincided with the introduction and the performances of Davies and Marshall. Whilst agreeing that their work rate is superior to budgies I don't agree that this only just happened. Budgies work rate needed to improve BEFORE he left the club.
He does however offer different attributes and certainly his all round game is superior to Marshalls (currently and when fit).
However I agree if he doesn't get his head down and does react badly (Not that he has before) then any ideas he may have of one day trying NRL again will be harder to come by as he won't be putting himself out there to be seen/wanted.
What I want is for the "x" years of his contract, I want to see him perform as well as he Can. If that leads to opportunities elsewhere then that's a whole different debate. But while he is here then I want to get the best out of him, and I don't believe his attitude or performances have been bad, in fact they've been pretty good imo.
He does look a bit off presently but since he picked up that injury 5mins I to Leigh pre season game I would suggest he's 4/5 weeks behind others fitness etc wise. That may have a bigger effect than any perceived judgement of his attitude or desire.


I agree with much of that and I think we both agree he’s a superb player on his day. I’ve put his form last year more down to attitude but I could be wrong. The games I referred to about him struggling at centre were away at Cas and Leigh. He was appalling in both and looked she’ll shocked trying to defend against the opposition centres and backrowers (Webster in particular, who he looked like he didn’t fancy tangling with at all).

Ultimately I’d love nothing more then to see him back at his best. I loved watching the lad play in 2014/15. He looked happy and full of energy. It was a real contrast last year I felt but then who was overly pleased with things? I’d really love to see more from him though though. He’s got the talent to bring so much to this side but he’s got to get stuck in more and take the handbrake off.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueblood, Cbr1000rr, CM Punk, Edinburgh Warrior, King Johns II, ksm1701, Last Son of Wigan, MattyB, nikos, Rogues Gallery, Sweaty Betty's, That Mon, The Whiffy Kipper, Ziggy Stardust and 144 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,794,9031,41677,1544,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 20th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 28th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28