Re: Right centre
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:00 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:00 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 100th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 0

Sarginson definitely looked shaky, and hasn't been convincing in any game so far. His decision making still seems suspect and he had a dire opening 20 today.

Bateman at centre becomes an option because Joel has actually started the season quite well at second row. Now he'll never be the player he once was but his handling ability seems to provide a better link with the outside backs than Bateman, although Bateman's footwork back inside are what he offers that Joel lacks.

Forsyth didn't do too badly last season and possibly deserves a chance, Higginson seems highly rated and Mullen didn't look out of place at right centre despite being out of position. We've got options but I think Sarge will keep his place. It doesn't help the winger to keep chopping and changing the centre.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 85th / 77,341

How little confidence Wane must have in our back up centres yet both Higginson and Forsyth managed to put in a shift when our backs were to the wall in previous seasons. I do not like Bateman at centre when he can run that channel from second row and still make the yards but it seems to be our only back up plan.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 20th / 77,341

Levrier wrote:
How little confidence Wane must have in our back up centres yet both Higginson and Forsyth managed to put in a shift when our backs were to the wall in previous seasons. I do not like Bateman at centre when he can run that channel from second row and still make the yards but it seems to be our only back up plan.

He’s admitted as much about those two. He’s said he wants more from them and not taking them to Oz when we’ve taken the likes of Mullen and Paisley tells a story.

I thought Mullen went pretty well there today actually and could be worth a look. He was tenacious in defence and he has some skills.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm
Posted by moto748 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 83rd / 77,341

Funny thing about Burgess: one of the Aussie forums I post on has had a recent influx of Rabbitohs fans. And they were all, oh, I wish we could have Joe Burgess back, etc etc.

I wondered if we'd been watching the same game! I can only assume they were basing it on his last few games for the Bunnies.

I didn't think it was a bad game; our defence got a good work-out, Davies should have had his hat-trick. Their last try was pretty soft, I thought.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 67th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 80

exiled Warrior wrote:
I really don't get the Bateman to centre calls - he offers nothing other than reasonable defense, in the world cup he created nothing and offered no attacking threat what so ever. If we have no one better then as a club we are failing massively. Bateman is a second row - that is where he should be.

If Bateman only offers reasonable defence at centre then that’s more than what Sarge is currently offering?
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 94th / 77,341

moto748 wrote:
Funny thing about Burgess: one of the Aussie forums I post on has had a recent influx of Rabbitohs fans. And they were all, oh, I wish we could have Joe Burgess back, etc etc.

I wondered if we'd been watching the same game! I can only assume they were basing it on his last few games for the Bunnies.

I didn't think it was a bad game; our defence got a good work-out, Davies should have had his hat-trick. Their last try was pretty soft, I thought.

I thought we defended really well in the second half and as you say their try was disappointing after all that earlier effort. If we have made a few bob and no major injuries then I'm fine with that.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 67th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 248

Cherry.Pie wrote:
Sarginson definitely looked shaky, and hasn't been convincing in any game so far. His decision making still seems suspect and he had a dire opening 20 today.

Bateman at centre becomes an option because Joel has actually started the season quite well at second row. Now he'll never be the player he once was but his handling ability seems to provide a better link with the outside backs than Bateman, although Bateman's footwork back inside are what he offers that Joel lacks.

Forsyth didn't do too badly last season and possibly deserves a chance, Higginson seems highly rated and Mullen didn't look out of place at right centre despite being out of position. We've got options but I think Sarge will keep his place. It doesn't help the winger to keep chopping and changing the centre.

Can't agree with you regarding Joel. He runs sideways towards the touchline taking space off the backs, then flicks the ball out with that one handed carry leaving them stood still behind him with no space to work with. Wish he would run hard and straight THEN look for the offload. He seems to think he's the third halfback at the moment.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 20th / 77,341

Grimmy wrote:
Can't agree with you regarding Joel. He runs sideways towards the touchline taking space off the backs, then flicks the ball out with that one handed carry leaving them stood still behind him with no space to work with. Wish he would run hard and straight THEN look for the offload. He seems to think he's the third halfback at the moment.

I thought he did well at Salford and most of the game against Hull but I’d agree with you yesterday. He really needs to simplify his game for me. He’s big and athletic and he should be eating up the metres. His offloading game is pretty poor anyway. Most seem to go to the floor with lads scrambling round to pick them up.
Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am
Posted by JonnyBroad on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am
JonnyBroad Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 106th / 77,341

So lets have some alternatives if Sarginson is that bad???
Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 pm
Posted by Father Ted on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 pm
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 97th / 77,341

End of 2016 Sarge was contender for MOM v Wire in the Grand Final when playing full back.
He missed most of 2017 and is now right centre not having ever been a regular in that position.
His first few games haven't been great but we are treating like he's some kind of Eric Ashton who's out of form.
The lad is going to have all season to sort it out and I'm sure given game time in the same position he will do a very good job for us.
I do think he should be given a chance to show what he can do in the 3 shirt.
PreviousNext